PDA

View Full Version : Bottles for steripen

Jagglax
06-22-2011, 00:48
I hav the Steripen protector. It's the military version of the adventurer. The way the water sensors are positioned it won't work in most bottles. I hoped it would fit in the platy soft bottles but no success. Does anybody know If there are a type of disposable bottle that would work because I'm sick of carrying heavy Nalgenes. Thanks

Jagglax
06-24-2011, 14:49
Ok so i hav not found any plastic bottles that work with my steripen so i've decided to take one nalgene and a Platypus Big zip 2.0L. I can use the steripen in the platy but only one liter at a time. so what ill end up doing is using the steripen in the nalgene then filling the platy from the nalgene. this is not the best process for weight or time. does anybody hav a suggestion on a better method

skinewmexico
06-24-2011, 14:56
I saw a picture of a guy using a disposable bottle on BPL the other day, but can't find it. I guess he had a stopper, and was holding the bottle upside down. Seemed to work.

One
06-24-2011, 19:10
For a collapsible bladder type...Nalgene's Wide Mouth 'Cantene' Works and Comes in different capacities including a 32oz Size. -OR- You could always wash out a Mayonnaise, Peanut Butter or other plastic jar after you are done with it.

Chomp09
06-24-2011, 21:26
Large gatorade bottles work, as do large vitamin water bottles...

Trailbender
06-24-2011, 22:00
Lose the steripen and use bleach or Aquamira with Gatorade bottles. Simple and effective.

ChinMusic
06-24-2011, 22:06
32-oz Gatorade bottles or any drink with the large cap. Works perfect. It's what I use all the time. I never bring a Nalgene.

Jagglax
06-26-2011, 19:33
32-oz Gatorade bottles or any drink with the large cap. Works perfect. It's what I use all the time. I never bring a Nalgene. What model Steripen do u hav

ChinMusic
06-26-2011, 19:50
What model Steripen do u hav

Classic and Adventurer Opti. Both work with the larger capped bottles.

Wags
07-08-2011, 01:57
empty mayonnaise jar works as well :D but gatorade is a tad lighter...

Wil
07-08-2011, 03:53
empty mayonnaise jar works as well :D but gatorade is a tad lighter...I like to use a mayonnaise jar. Mainly because the very wide mouth and relatively shallow depth gives me lots of exposure while stirring. It's also very different from any other bottles/canteens I carry, clearly identifiable as something I don't drink out of or touch my lips to. Good when sharing your water with others. Finally, when you start out from home or a hotel, its wide mouth interfaces nicely with most ice cube machines without spilling the cubes all over.

Snowleopard
07-08-2011, 10:32
Ziploc twist 'n loc containers come in 16 and 32 oz sizes and are pretty light with a wide mouth.
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/TwistLocContainers.aspx?SizeName=Medium (http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/TwistLocContainers.aspx?SizeName=Medium)

q-tip
07-08-2011, 20:58
I just got a Nalgene 3.5 oz HDPE wide mouth bottle 16 oz. I use the Steripen all the time.

4Bears
07-08-2011, 21:58
The 1 ltr pepsi bottles have a larger opening and should work

grampa
07-23-2011, 13:17
The lightest solution I've found is to cut the top off a Nalgene 1 liter "canteen", treat the water in that with the Steripen, then pour the water into my liter Aquafina bottles. To carry, I wrap the Nalgene plastic bag around the Steripen.

QiWiz
07-28-2011, 13:07
I have cut the top off a liter pop bottle (for a one-liter) or cut the top off an Arizona Tea can (for a half-liter) container I can fill at a water source, SteriPen, and drink to camel up and/or pour into other light but narrow-necked containers. The Arizona can with a reflectix cozy and silicone band for lip protection at the top doubles as a 1-ounce insulated mug and is now my favorite SteriPen accessory. I use Aqua Mira in camp or when I'm in no hurry and the SteriPen for quick treatment to camel up on the trail. Great combination.

Lyle
07-28-2011, 15:56
Plasic mayonaise jar has worked for us.