PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Pepsi Stove

wacocelt
02-03-2005, 16:24
Yes, after 5 years of using denatured alcohol I'm entering the market for a camp stove, to cook for two. I want to be able to cook a variety of foods a variety of ways (ie bacon and eggs, stir-fry) other than just boiling water. I have never used anything other than DA stoves so am clueless about where to start. While you're at it, perhaps someone could suggest a good lightweight combination cook-set which includes multiple pans etc.
Thanks for your time, sorry for being such a stove Newb. :D

Lone Wolf
02-03-2005, 16:25
MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove.

neo
02-03-2005, 16:39
msr pocket rocket is an excelent choice,thats what i carry:sun neo

Lone Wolf
02-03-2005, 16:41
I carried a Peak 1 white gas stove for 15 years. Switched to the PR.

Oracle
02-03-2005, 16:47
Do most of you with alcohol stoves just boil water on them? I've been using an alcohol stove and simmering cozy for a couple of years, and can do just about everything I can do with other stoves. I've fried bacon and eggs, made stir-fry (I have a double-boiler setup, boil rice in the lower boiler and put my stir-fry ingredients in the upper pot, by the time the rice is finished (about 30 minutes) the stir-fry is about half done, a few more minutes on the alcohol stove and it's done). It takes a little more fuel for some meals, but they are certainly doable.

gravityman
02-03-2005, 16:59
Yes, after 5 years of using denatured alcohol I'm entering the market for a camp stove, to cook for two. I want to be able to cook a variety of foods a variety of ways (ie bacon and eggs, stir-fry) other than just boiling water. I have never used anything other than DA stoves so am clueless about where to start. While you're at it, perhaps someone could suggest a good lightweight combination cook-set which includes multiple pans etc.
Thanks for your time, sorry for being such a stove Newb. :D

For cooking for two, we perfer a canister stove (although we have the gigapower). We had the whisperlite (too heavy) and a brasslight Duo stove (too much fuel to make the weight savings worth it).

Gravity

bulldog49
02-03-2005, 17:05
To me it seems obvious. For an insignificant weight difference and the fact canister stoves are so much more convenient I really prefer them over alcohol. I have the Snow Peak giga and it works great, even in cold temps. I'm an impatient sort and when I'm ready for a cup of coffee or a hot meal, I don't want to fuss with filling the stove and waiting 10 minutes for the water to boil. Snow Peak and MSR both have a line of Titanium cookwear.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-03-2005, 17:58
Take a look at the snowpeak giga power BF. Couple of advantages for serious cooking:
Wide burner flame pattern distributes heat much better than the focused flames you get with mini burners. You won't need heavier fry pans to distribute heat evenly for perfect eggs.
Full adjustability -bare whisper of a flame to an inferno with a twist of a knob.
Wide pot supports and legs, very stable, low CG for less chance of tipping over.
Remote cannister- no risk of blowing things up from over hearing a cannister if you go the whole nine yards and opt for an outback oven. BTW, I use my outback for stir fry, frying and baking. UMMMMM cinnamon buns and pizza!!!
When 2 folks share the extra kitchen weight, you'll open up whole new vistas in backpacking meals, there's alot more to eat than oatmeal and ramen every day.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/Stovedetail.cfm/SN1010

tlbj6142
02-04-2005, 11:54
A word of caution about the MSR pocket rocket (i own one), they are a bit wobbely. I'd go with a canister stove that has a more stable pot support system. Which includes just about every other canister stove other than the pocket rocket. Its thin "blade" like pot supports wiggle quite a bit. With a full 1qt pot (you are cooking for 2), it can become quite unsteady. And probably down right tipsey with 2qts.

I have not had any spills, but given that most canister stoves are all sub-4oz and cost about $35-$40, go with something other than the pocket rocket.

Though the plastic case it comes in has a "high geek" factor. Which is the reason I bought it. Now that I know better (I think:D), I'd choose something different.

Big Dawg
02-04-2005, 13:12
Love my Pocket Rocket!! :clap

dje97001
02-04-2005, 13:26
I have a simmerlite that works just fine for me and my wife. If you aren't just going to be boiling water, you might actually use the simmer feature. We also use the antigravitygear 2 qt. pot with cozy, lid, and gripper. Good and light. I think they have a larger cookset that you could probably get as well.

weary
02-04-2005, 13:30
Love my Pocket Rocket!! :clap
And I love my Zip Stove. The fuel is free, renewable, and never runs out.

Weary

Lone Wolf
02-04-2005, 13:32
When I tire of the PR I'll get a zip stove.

-MYST-
02-04-2005, 13:33
I don't ever plan on going back to any other stove other than an alcohol stove, specifically the soda/beer can alcohol stove. I have never found anything that can not be cooked on an alcohol stove. Yeah the BTU output is less for an equal amount of alcohol compared to most other fuels, but it is still more than hot enough to cook. In fact the heat may be a bit more manageable than most other stoves for cooking because of the lower btu's,and be less likely to burn.
I love these stoves so much I even make them for others that can't or don't want to. After all not all of us want to cut their hands on sharp aluminum edges. So if anyone is interested in buying a premade 'pepsi can' alcohol stove I have 2 types available on Ebay, this link will take you to one where you will find links to the other. Hope this helps fellow thru-hikers.

Alcohol Stove:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5161928183&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Myst
the Adventure Continues.....

SGT Rock
02-04-2005, 16:19
Same here. I have done steak, omlets, and all the standard backpacking meals on alcohol. I am going after sushi sometime on alcohol. Comon LWolf, lets hear it....

Mountain Dew
02-04-2005, 16:22
Hey brother and fellow Mairnttt... Boy. The pocket rocket is fine, but Snow Peak Giga is a superior stove for many reasons.
1. the S.P. Giga has four legs for the pot to stand on instead of the PR's three.
2. The fuel adjustement knob is longer and bigger on the SP Giga
3. The SP Giga is the same price as the PR
4. The SN Giga's burner spreads out further for wider pots/pans...
5. both weigh the same as well.
6. same size as the PR...
Try Mountainsports.com They sell them for 39.95 and you don't have to pay sales tax if you live outside of Texas. Any orders over $49 is free shipping as well. Shipement to Erwin or Alabama Chris would take less than a week. Take care brother... " You gotta live hard to be hard" ... lol ;)

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2005, 18:19
Wacocelt:

I own both a Giga and a Pocket Rocket and I like 'em both.

I'm a big fan of propane stoves: Lightweight, simple to use, no fuel bottles, very easy to re-fuel on A.T. They never fail, give a great flame, bring water to a boil very quickly; in short, in every factor but weight they're more efficient than a soda can stove. However, when you consider how much water you need to bring to boil water enough to feed two hungry thru-hikers, what usually happens when a couple is using alcohol stoves is they either have to boil water twice and effectively cook two dinners, or they EACH carry a stove and fuel, which means that if two folks travelling together rely on one propane stove, they're actually carrying LESS weight, the savings mostly coming in fuel weight.

Only "problem" with propane is figuring out your fuel needs and how long a cannister will last. In my experience (I only cook at dinnertime and rarely, heat up water for coffee in the morning); one cannister will last me between 7-10 days on the Trail. Cooking for two will probably mean you'll be cooking larger meals, i.e. using a bit more fuel, so plan accordingly.

A few tips: Since there's two of you, consider carrying an extra "small" fuel cannister as a back-up on longer stretches of the Trail; and secondly, a great way to conserve fuel is is to kill your stove flame and keep your dinner covered with a pot lid or piece of tin foil for 3-5 minutes.....your dinner will continue to cook, and you won't be burning up fuel. Doing this every time you cook will add 1-2 days worth of fuel to each cannister.

Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of places that have cannister fuel:

*Neels Gap (Walasi-Yi Center)
*Nantahala Outdoor Center
*Happy Hiker Outfitter, Gatlinburg
*Bluff Mtn. Outfitters, Hot Springs
(Fuel might also be available at either Mt. Mommas or Standing Bear Farm
Hostel)
*Nolichucky Hostel, Erwin or Mahoney's Outfitter in Johnson City (Miss Janet
goes there almost every day)
*Any of the Outfitters in Damascus
*Hardware store, Pearisburg or Wal-Mart
*Outfitter in Troutville (actually Daleville) or Waynesboro; also Wal-Mart
*Shenandoah Park Wayside Camp stores
*Outfitter in Front Royal
*Outfitter in Harpers Ferry
*Hardware store, Duncannon
*Outfitter in Port Clinton if its open, otherwise Cabela's in nearby Hamburg
*Outfitter, Delaware Water Gap
*Outfitter, Kent
*Outfitter Great Barrington or Williamstown, MA.
*Outfitters, Manchester Center
*Hardware store Hanover or neareby Outfitters in West Lebanon
*Hostel, Glencliff
*Outfitters, Lincoln, NH
*Outfitters, Gorham NH or Wal-Mart
*Some of the Hostels in Maine (call them to confirm!)
*Shaw's Boarding House, Monson

There are probably some others I'm forgetting; plus, anytime you go off the trail to a major town with either a Hardware store or a Wal-Mart, you'll find
cannister fuel. Also, make sure and check hiker boxes, especially in hostels,
which very often have cannisters, tho sometimes these are almost empty.

Cannister fuel can be mailed ahead, but check on the rules of your parcel carrier....some forbid it, some carry it via Ground Mail only, etc. Rules for USPS, FedEx, UPS are available on-line.

Last advice if you're depending on a cannister stove: ALWAYS have at least a day or two's worth of food that doesn't require cooking in case you ever experience stove failure (which is rare) or if you mis-judge your fuel supply. Actually, this last bit is good advice for everyone, in case you run into weather so horrible that cooking is either impossible or more trouble than it's worth. It's always smart to have a block of cheese, can of tuna, stick of pepperoni, etc. in case you have to "eat cold" unexpectedly.

Mountain Dew
02-04-2005, 18:50
Hey WacoCelt..... I have a Fosters can stove that is perfect for two people. It holds twice the fuel as the typical can stove and is more stable because the can is wider. Weight: under an ounce... See there...stick with what brought you. :clap

Jack Lincoln
02-05-2005, 04:54
Same here. I have done steak, omlets, and all the standard backpacking meals on alcohol. I am going after sushi sometime on alcohol. Comon LWolf, lets hear it....
I always thought you did the sushi raw! I like the Wasabi sauce but I like my seafood cooked.......

SGT Rock
02-05-2005, 08:43
You have to cook the rice, which is called sushi, that is where the name comes from.

Nightwalker
02-18-2005, 22:39
Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of places that have cannister fuel...
Yo Jack!

You think of any more?

Thanks,
Frank/Nightwalker

RagingHampster
02-22-2005, 13:43
Don't forget the Kombu, Rice Vinegar, and Sugar... necessities for all good sushi rice!

kentucky
02-22-2005, 14:22
well I have used denatured stoves and the pr and the whisperlight by msr,I like the msr whisperlight:dance although their both good stoves!when out west this summer I used denatured and wished I had brought either the pr or whisper those canyons are brutal in the morning and it just takes to long for denature stoves to work although light no comparison to whitegas or cannisters and hard to find denature at times:datz kentucky

kncats
02-22-2005, 14:35
I always thought you did the sushi raw! I like the Wasabi sauce but I like my seafood cooked.......
You're thinking about sashimi, which is the raw seafood, usually fish.

Happy Feet
02-22-2005, 14:40
I cook for 2 and am SO in love with my alcohol stove that I even use it when we (on rare occasion) car camp. We have a Pocket Rocket and the Whisperlite, but still my stove of choice is the pop can stove. I don't mind that it takes a little longer to cook, because I use that time to do other chores.

I have made so many and given so many away. I always take an extra one on day hikes, so that when we run into other hikers I can give them one. I'd say give cooking for 2 with alcohol a try before you decide to ditch it.

Anyone interested in a slightly used (maybe a half a dozen times, no more - probably less) Pocket Rocket?

Nightwalker
02-22-2005, 16:08
A word of caution about the MSR pocket rocket (i own one), they are a bit wobbly.
I have no trouble with my Pocket Rocket Wobbling. I also own a MSR Techno Trail, and it does spread the flame better, but it's 5 ounces heavier (ouch!). I use a 1.4 liter pot, and my last one was a too-wide 1.5 liter.

You're doing the right thing, however. You asked, you're getting a lot of answers, and you'll probably ask elsewhere as well.

Let me recommend some other places for you to check. Whiteblaze is my favorite, but BackpackGearTest.org has tons of reviews by real hikers, as does backpackinglight.com and a few others. Always trust other hikers more than magazine writers! Our only axe to grind is not wanting to look stupid by recommending bad gear.

:D
Frank/Nightwalker

kentucky
02-22-2005, 16:13
Just wandering what is a real hiker?kentucky:confused:

Nightwalker
02-22-2005, 16:25
Anyone interested in a slightly used (maybe a half a dozen times, no more - probably less) Pocket Rocket?
Sure, if you're giving it away. :)

I'm always giving gear to other hikers, and I keep a stockpile in the back room. I promise not to sell it, just give it to someone who needs it. This past weekend, I gave away a 5500 ci backpack and a really good alcohol stove to a very nice person who had given their pack to a poor boy scout who really needed it. Them's the kind of folks that you really want to help, ya know? I'm also taking an extra redbull or pepsi stove with me on my AT hike, because last year, I ran into a fellow that needed one really bad right as my wife sent me my favorite in the mail, and I was able to give him a tinman pepsi can stove.

We hikers have to take care of each other, because the world sure ain't gonna do a whole lot of it, ya know? I'm not saying this stuff to brag on myself, really (I ain't that good of a guy:)), I'm just wanting you guys-and-gals to keep an open mind and eye out their for being able to do some real trail magic. The guy I was able to give the stove to had accidentally stepped on his and crushed it. He came into a shelter exhausted, and y'all know what the 'umbles does to ya. He was devastated, and probably would have had to leave the trail if the timing hadn't been where I was able to give him a stove. Y'all think about stuff like that, and go prepared to help as much as possible. Heck, redbull stoves just weigh 10 grams! (babble mode off)

:D
Frank/Nightwalker

Nightwalker
02-22-2005, 16:26
Just wandering what is a real hiker?kentucky:confused:
A real hiker is one who hikes instead of just writing about it. :datz

kentucky
02-22-2005, 16:32
just wandering:dance kentucky!

RagingHampster
03-06-2005, 15:35
During the winter I use a Pocket Rocket. I stick the canister in my coat before reaching camp to warm it up and build internal pressure in the canister. Having to choose again, I would take the stabler platform of the snowpeak unit, as I do have to be careful while stirring a pot on the pocketrocket.

For three-seasn use, I like my Trangia w/a stand I made for it out of titanium. While I made a few soda-can stoves, the Trangia has variable simmering (I always end up crushing the cupcake tin simmer units with the pepsi can stoves), and the Trangia can be extinguished & capped to save any fuel you don't use. Weighs a couple extra ounces, but I think its worth it. On simple overnighters, I just fill the trangia with alcohol and don't even bother with a seperate fuel container.

grrickar
03-07-2005, 00:44
For nesting cookware, check out the Snow Peak offerings. If you internet shop you can find a good deal on them and they are lightweight. I have the Treck 1400 and the Trek 700. Cannisters (and my stove) will nest inside both, and the 700 will nest inside the 1400 if I need to cook for two. The 700 has a slotted lid for draining water from pasta, rice, etc. and will accomodate a Snow Peak spork for packing.

I am trying out an Optimus Crux stove (3.1oz). It nests in the concave bottom of a butane cylinder in a neoprene sack. I like that setup because it means that if the cannister will fit inside my cookgear, I know my stove will too.

buckhead
03-11-2005, 14:12
I usually use an Esbit. I do have a simmerlite, but haven't used it enough to recommend it. I can tell you watch your hair. I have a friend that has a Pochet Rocket and he loves it! The things I dislike about the Pocket Rocket are that it is unstable and avalibity of the canisters. I am staying with white gas. As for the cookpot I use a MSR Titan Kettle and a Snow Peak Trek 1400. These seem to be perfect for me. The Kettle is just right for making a small pot of coffee. The Trek 1400 has a lid that doubles as a skillet and the pot is big enough to cook a Zataran's rice dish. I guess when my kids start going I will need something bigger. But this set up would probable be good for two people.:)

RockyTrail
03-11-2005, 15:36
Except for the sushi y'all are making me hungry (and I just had lunch!):D

wd40
03-11-2005, 18:22
The Rock is right. Sushi is the rice and everything else with it, raw fish, avocado, wasabi, crab, asparagus etc.. is the garnish.

oldfivetango
03-11-2005, 19:03
Am i the only idiot in here that would rather cook with Coleman
fuel (in my optimus 123R) in lieu of a cannister stove;provided,of course,
that i got out of the alcohol burning business?
How do you know if sufficient gas is left in the cannister when you head
out without taking a spare?And how is the availablity on cannisters?
Inquiring minds want to know.......
Cheers,
Oldfivetango:sun

NICKTHEGREEK
03-11-2005, 19:10
sorry, already posted the BF!

buckhead
03-11-2005, 21:00
What did I say earlier?:-?

SGT Rock
03-11-2005, 21:30
The Rock is right. Sushi is the rice and everything else with it, raw fish, avocado, wasabi, crab, asparagus etc.. is the garnish.

I talked with a professional sushi maker yesterday. I think I have narrowed down the problem to too much water, and not a long enough simmer. I'll try again a few more times before I totally quit. But dang, this wouldn't be a quick or easy trail meal. :confused:

saimyoji
03-11-2005, 22:11
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6932&page=1&pp=20&highlight=sushi

Post #17: Yeah, the rice is tricky. Sounds like you're using way too much water.

Did that solve your problem, Sarge?

smokymtnsteve
03-11-2005, 22:12
R U using a short grain sticky rice?

SGT Rock
03-11-2005, 22:32
I haven't tried it again yet, but the pro siad too much water, I was using two to one mix (two water to one part rice) next time I shall go one to one. As for rice, it is sho-nuf Sushi rice.

MedicineMan
03-12-2005, 00:03
good stove just remember that the canisters stoves (most all of them depending on the gas mix) can fail at very low temps (like below 8-10F and below), and you might have to use an alternative method to pre-warm the canister (and i dont think a bic held underneath will do it)....alcohol stoves will do this job and at 1oz for the latest brasslite its not a major weight penalty...so then you will have two stoves...an alcohol stove that can boil water for coffee/tea and preheat your canister if super cold, and your canister to due more elaborate cooking....
even with a canister stove dont forget one of Tinman's cozzies...they work in too many situations to mention---even RV camping or at home

wd40
03-12-2005, 00:46
Sushi is normally rolled with Jasmine Rice, which is very sticky and requires extended cooking time and flavored with a sweetened Rice Wine Vinegar mixture. Once the rice is cooled, it has a glossy sheen and should separate easily. There are generally 3 BASIC kinds of Sushi including, Nigiri (thin slices of raw fish and wasabi), Hosomaki (thin rolls), and Futomaki (thick rolls). Different chopped or sliced vegetables, raw or cooked fish, TOFU, and other ingredients are rolled with suchi rice then wrapped in Nori (seaweed), sliced and served with various garnishes. I would think this is too "labor-intensive" for the AT or any hiking endeavor. If you really want to consume sushi, buy it at a market when re-supplying or go ahead and try and make it yourself. There's no "Sushi Police" and you can substitute minute rice, canned or smoked salmon, freshly blanched spinach for Nori, and anything your heart desires. Just eat your own eats or share alike!

JHG
04-30-2005, 00:16
I eat alot of rice when hiking ... I use the real stuff (20 minute rice) 1/2 cup of rice to 10 oz. of water. Put both in the pot, let it soak while you get the alcohol in the stove and burning. Place on the fire for 20 minutes lid on except for the occasional stir. Remove from heat and allow to sit for another 5 or so minutes ... rice will be perfect. :)

-JHG-

Two Winds '97
04-30-2005, 01:17
So lots of talk about the PR and Giga canister stoves. How many different types of canisters will they adapt to? I use the MSR Superfly cuz I can use it with almost any canister. Anyone else out there use on long distance hikes? I used a trangia in '97 and just got tired of waiting for my water to boil. http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/superfly.asp

neo
04-30-2005, 20:13
i love my jetboil:cool: neo

VAMTNHIKER
05-02-2005, 19:06
Am i the only idiot in here that would rather cook with Coleman
fuel (in my optimus 123R) in lieu of a cannister stove;provided,of course,
that i got out of the alcohol burning business?
How do you know if sufficient gas is left in the cannister when you head
out without taking a spare?And how is the availablity on cannisters?
Inquiring minds want to know.......
Cheers,
Oldfivetango:sun
My fellow section hiker/Scout Ldr at work swears by his Markhill Devils for his older scouts... he weighs the cannisters after each campout using his Wal-Mart food scale ... he now has a "feel" for how long each will last based off weight...

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 19:21
If you are looking at canister stoves, the Coleman Exponent F1 looks like a top performer and a value for the price. BackpackingLight.com comparison review has that 2.6 ounce stove running neck-and-neck with the JetBoil for speed and fuel efficiency. Imagine a good Evernew 0.9L pot for 4.01 ounces, a standard 4 ounce canister at 8 ounces, a F1 at 2.6 ounces, a scripto lighter at 0.6 ounces, and a new Anti-Gravity Gear neoprene cozy at about 2.1 ounces. You could get the whole package ~ 17.2 ounces start weight and have an average pack weight of about 15.2 ounces.

neo
01-26-2007, 15:04
msr pocket rocket is an excelent choice,thats what i carry:sun neo
but not anymore,jetboil rules:cool: neo

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2007, 15:18
Boiling water isn't cooking.

rafe
01-26-2007, 15:21

So who's got time for cooking, then? :-?

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2007, 15:28
:-? trying to understand why one wouldn't have time. What is there to rush to?

neo
01-26-2007, 15:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=310572#post310572)

So who's got time for cooking, then? :-?

your right dude:cool: neo

sarbar
01-26-2007, 17:10
:-? trying to understand why one wouldn't have time. What is there to rush to?
More like you have hiked 15 miles, up and down a couple ridges, and you are tired, it is getting dark and you want to eat and go to bed. Boiling water, covering food, letting sit for 10 minutes while you do camp stuff and then eating is great. I haven't "cooked" a real meal on a trail in at least 3 years now. It works ;) And to me it is cooking.

Footslogger
01-26-2007, 17:22
Just think what would happen if the canniseters were refillable and isobutane stations were available along the trail. You could exchange your empty (ies) for full ones and keep right on going ...

TALK ABOUT A REVOLUTION !!

'Slogger

(still using alcohol and the Trangia and lovin it)

Johnny Swank
01-26-2007, 20:17
We use a Trangia for both of us as well. I'm slightly more likely to actually make something that needs simmering when we're out together. I think I did that about 3-4 years ago!;)

We took a one burner Propane stove on the river. Never, ever again - that thing was miserable to cook on. I wish I had just brought the Trangia or one of our homemade stoves and called it a day.