PDA

View Full Version : Swatara Gap to Clarks Valley

Halesy
06-22-2011, 11:35
Taking my wife on her first AT overnighter and the section I was planning for is between Swatara Gap and Clarks Valley (Rte. 325). A total of just over 17 miles. Is there somewhere around the 8 mile mark to set up camp for the night? Is there water nearby? I heard Rausch Creek is contaminated?

ki0eh
06-22-2011, 14:50
As a point to point backpacker ("through hiker" in the lexicon of http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html which is a different concept than the "thru-hiker" as generally discussed on this site) dispersed camping is legal in the State Game Lands if you are over 500' from a water source and within (NOT "outside") 200' of the APPALACHIAN Trail, not any other trail there might be on Game Lands, and not for loop, in-out, or circuit hikers.

There is an occasionally used campsite off to the left of the A.T. and just before the Cold Spring side trail (hit the intersection, turn left, then left again above the rock face - I'm assuming you are proceeding trail-southbound, the area I'm talking about is just southeast of the trail intersection by compass, or just Trail northeast of the trail intersection, if that makes sense). Water can be found by heading Trail-south 1/4 mile on to The General side trail, turn right and you'll see the stream soon. This particular stream may have some tannin but no mine runoff.

You might get excited when you notice the side trail is referred to as Cold Spring. The eponymous Cold Spring is well off the mountain, even below the railroad bed, and out of sight west of the side trail, 3/4 of a mile one way from the point discussed above if you do go directly there (it's not signed or really blazed to the actual spring), then you'd have to carry the water back uphill to the dry campsite. Granted, the water is cold and actually was once bottled on site. But going down The General trail is a much better bet.

If you go 2.5 miles further on you'll come to the remains of Yellow Spring village. The vicinity of the mailbox register is a frequently used and probably even legal campsite. Go 1/4 mile and there might be water running in the hollow of the Yellow Spring side trail but it generally dries up by this time of year (however it has been a wet year). There are also a couple of holes that hold water a bit off the trail, watch out and don't venture in the dark as there are also old mine entrances. If you head another 1/4 mile down the Yellow Spring side trail (1/2 mile+ from the mailbox following the trails) you will find the eponymous and truthfully described Yellow Spring, supposedly not mine impacted as it was acid drainage even before mining 150 years ago, although I can't quite attest to that from personal experience.

If you're not confused yet you're doing real well. :D

Halesy
06-24-2011, 10:30
Wow...Thank you. This has been one of the more difficult sections to plan since the shelters are so close to both (either) starting points. Being our first hike this year and a little out of shape, there was no way of doing the entire 17 mile stretch. The information you provided will definately help.

ki0eh
06-24-2011, 12:24
There's no shelter in Clarks Valley, many years ago there was one but it's been torn down for quite a while. And to add to the strangeness camping is actually prohibited adjacent to the Rausch Gap shelter (too far from the A.T. and too close to a water source for the above cited regulation). You might want to define "Swatara Gap" for your hike as the parking lot near the (compass) SW corner of PA 443 and PA 72, entrance off PA 443. From the creek crossing to there, except for the odd and relocated bridge over the "Swattie" itself you're not missing much except a PUD, and the only parking at PA 72 is to pull off roadside (which many do do).

shelterbuilder
06-24-2011, 20:33
Her first overnighter, eh? Well, good for the both of you! The Rausch Gap Shelter is located at about mile 6 FROM THE WATERVILLE BRIDGE OVER THE SWATARA CREEK. (If you're parking at Rts. 72 and 443, it's about 4 1/2 miles.) The climb up and over Second Mountain will be a bit strenuous, and you may to think about stopping at Rausch Gap Shelter and making a longer day (10 1/2 miles) on the 2nd day, which will have less than a 700' elevatin gain before decending into Clark's Valley over the last 3 miles. (Or you could stop long enough for dinner, a break, and a trip to the toilet, then grab some extra water for the morning, and hike on to any of the campsites that ki0eh mentioned. With extra water, you could really stop ANYWHERE along the trail where there's a wide spot off to the side.) 10 1/2 miles for the second day might seem a bit much, but the terrain and the loss of the weight of the food that you've eaten will work in your favor. If you stop at the Rausch Gap Shelter, be sure that you stay IN the shelter - that's legal, but the surrounding campsites are not (because of the reasons already cited). The spring at the shelter has good water, and is caught by a metal trough in the front of the shelter. DO NOT DRINK FROM ANY WATER SOURCE THAT APPEARS TO BE ORANGE OR HAS ORANGE-COLORED SOIL OR ROCKS AROUND IT - this is water that's mine-contaminated. And have your camera ready - this is rattlesnake country, and with all of the wet weather we've had lately, they are all trying to get dried out! If you're REALLY lucky, you might even see a porcupine around Stony Mtn.!!!

theshadowshop
06-27-2011, 19:34
In May we (my wife, and two kids 10yr and 6yr) did clarks creek to Swatara Gap Rte 72. This is a south to north route. We did Saturday Morning got on the trail about 11am, I think it was about 10mi or so to Rausch Gap shelter camped near by and then on sunday we hiked out a few miles. It would be a good first hike. I know the rules are to only camp in the shelter, but there were people camping around the shelter and also at other sites just off of the trail heading down the hill to the creek. It was buggy.... here is our trip report. thsi weekend we are doing the Maryland Section of the trail http://theshadowshop.blogspot.com/2011/05/section-7-of-appalachian-trail.html

Her first overnighter, eh? Well, good for the both of you! The Rausch Gap Shelter is located at about mile 6 FROM THE WATERVILLE BRIDGE OVER THE SWATARA CREEK. (If you're parking at Rts. 72 and 443, it's about 4 1/2 miles.) The climb up and over Second Mountain will be a bit strenuous, and you may to think about stopping at Rausch Gap Shelter and making a longer day (10 1/2 miles) on the 2nd day, which will have less than a 700' elevatin gain before decending into Clark's Valley over the last 3 miles. (Or you could stop long enough for dinner, a break, and a trip to the toilet, then grab some extra water for the morning, and hike on to any of the campsites that ki0eh mentioned. With extra water, you could really stop ANYWHERE along the trail where there's a wide spot off to the side.) 10 1/2 miles for the second day might seem a bit much, but the terrain and the loss of the weight of the food that you've eaten will work in your favor. If you stop at the Rausch Gap Shelter, be sure that you stay IN the shelter - that's legal, but the surrounding campsites are not (because of the reasons already cited). The spring at the shelter has good water, and is caught by a metal trough in the front of the shelter. DO NOT DRINK FROM ANY WATER SOURCE THAT APPEARS TO BE ORANGE OR HAS ORANGE-COLORED SOIL OR ROCKS AROUND IT - this is water that's mine-contaminated. And have your camera ready - this is rattlesnake country, and with all of the wet weather we've had lately, they are all trying to get dried out! If you're REALLY lucky, you might even see a porcupine around Stony Mtn.!!!

Halesy
06-28-2011, 11:45
The trip didn't turn out exactly as planned. We had some trouble with the car we were leaving at Rte. 325 so while at camp that night (which was exactly where ki0eh said it would be) we thought it would be best to return to the "working car" and deal with from there.
The southbound hike up Second Mtn. was indeed strenous but with a few breaks here and there it was manageable. We took about an hour lunch at the shelter before continuing on to the campsite. We ran into two day hikers that told us about a rattlesnake they had seen, but it was in the opposite direction.
All in all, it was a good hike for the first time out this year. We'll be doing it again in the near future.
Shelterbuilder...is it possible that we talked with you on Sunday morning? If it was you, it was great meeting you.

shelterbuilder
06-28-2011, 21:44
Yes, that was me! I finished waterproofing the toilet, brought down a few "small" hazard trees (I left the big, tricky ones for another trip - preferably when I've got another sawyer and some extra equipment), and called it a day. (At my advanced age, back-to-back worktrips tend to take it out of me!)

I see that you're from Scranton - not too far from my old hometown of Forty Fort!

I'm glad that everything worked out, and that you had a good trip.