PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Waterproof Camera

lkaluzi
06-22-2011, 13:46
I'm looking for a waterproof camera that is good for kayaking and hiking. Preferably it would be waterproof, shockproof, durable, take good pictures, and run on batteries (thought I can deal with charging it if it has a long battery life). Any ideas? I've been looking at the Canon Powershot D10 but I think its too big and bulky.

The Old Chief
06-22-2011, 15:17
Kodak makes a waterproof camera that sells for $69 at Walmart. Its waterproof down to 10 ft. It's a 12MP and uses AA batteries and is about the same size as most small digital cameras.

trippclark
06-22-2011, 15:19
I'm looking for a waterproof camera that is good for kayaking and hiking. Preferably it would be waterproof, shockproof, durable, take good pictures, and run on batteries (thought I can deal with charging it if it has a long battery life). Any ideas? I've been looking at the Canon Powershot D10 but I think its too big and bulky.

Olympus Stylus Tough series cameras

Loneoak
06-22-2011, 18:39
check out gopro

Sierra Echo
06-22-2011, 19:18
Olympus Stylus Tough series cameras

This is the camera I use. It survived a fall into the river (along with me) at Tallulah Gorge.

Amanita
06-22-2011, 21:13
I have an olympus stylus tough. I have 2 batteries (spare was $10) so that I can swap out if I don't get a chance to charge it. I've gone a week hiking, taking many pictures daily, without charging and still had over 1/2 battery.

Pros:
Good battery life
water proof
shock proof
dust proof
freeze proof
good price

Cons:
proprietary cable
proprietary battery
picture quality is not the best

Buffalo Skipper
06-23-2011, 10:10
You may want to read through this thread to get some ideas on what is out there and how some have (and have not) worked.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?69605-Weatherproof-adventure-cameras

When looking at any "sport" camera, understand what you are getting. These are not really "all around" cameras. They will sacrifice optics and software will not take pics as good as other cameras, especially indoors. But you will get a camera you can take where others will fail. It's a trade off.

The Cannon D10 you mentioned is the most indestructible and takes the best pics of the lot (according to the reviews I have extensively researched). But the trade offs are size/weight (it is the bulkiest of them all) as well as being the most expensive. The Olympus has good reviews, but some are critical of its picture quality.

I have the Fuji XP10, which failed (leaked!) the first time I had it underwater (depth of 2' for 2 minutes). When I contacted Fuji, they were not surprised that it leaked, were very helpful and polite, and after I sent in my camera, sent me a replacement. Seems the seal and design are slightly different. This model, though I it was purchased only 9 months ago, is discontinued. They now offer the XP20 and XP30. Logically, if they had (and were so blatenly aware of) problems with the XP10 leaking, I want to conclude that they fixed these issues with the XP20. I believe the XP30 is an XP20 with GPS enabled photo location documentation.

For the record, I am mostly pleased with the (outdoor) picture quality of the XP10. The only time I get "fuzzy" pics is when I have contrasting brightnesses in the photo area. Using the "beach" mode reduces this somewhat. I will be taking my XP10 on a whitewater trek 2 weeks from Saturday, so I will again find out how well it works in rough and tumble wet conditions. I will report that in my original thread.

Do your research, understand what you are buying, and of course good luck in your search.

Sarcasm the elf
06-23-2011, 17:26
I have an olympus stylus tough. I have 2 batteries (spare was $10) so that I can swap out if I don't get a chance to charge it. I've gone a week hiking, taking many pictures daily, without charging and still had over 1/2 battery.Pros:Good battery lifewater proofshock proofdust prooffreeze proofgood priceCons:proprietary cableproprietary batterypicture quality is not the bestI second this review, I've put my stylus tough through all kinds of weather with good results. Have never submerged the camera, but I would expect it would survive this as well.Picture quality and zoom are not as goodas SLR cameras, but they are definitely acceptable.Given the combination of size, durability and price, it's a great buy.

SMSP
06-23-2011, 17:33
I have had 3 Olympus cameras and have had battery issues with all 3. I will never, I repeat, never, buy another one. I have 4 battieres and have better have at least 2 of them with me during all day usage. Like the pic and vid quality and ease of use. Sometimes the batteries charge completely, sometimes they dont. Sometimes they show full and 5-10 minutes later, they are dead. This can happen to all the batteries. Two of the batteries are OEM and the other two are Duracell. This has been my expereince and apparently most have been satisfied, but not me.

SMSP

deadhorsejoe
06-23-2011, 19:26

I recently purchased the Panasonic TS-3 waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof camera and like it just fine. I purchased it for a 2 week, 280 mile rafting trip through the Grand Canyon and it certainly got wet. I did not dunk it in the river for any length of time but the rapids and creeks in slot canyon tested it's waterproofness. As an added bonus the camera has built in GPS, compass and altimeter. The GPS data is saved with the picture which helps in locating the picture when the trip is over. I got a little less than 300 pictures from the proprietary, rechargable battery. I purchased 3 additional batteries from Amazon which worked fine but not quite as many shots per charge as the Panasonic battery. Great little camera and I would purchase again. It gets good reviews on Amazon. It aint exactly cheap however.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TS3-Waterproof-Stabilized-2-7-Inch/dp/B004KKZ0J2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308870134&sr=8-2

I am not much of a photographer, more of a point and shoot kind of guy. I have attached a few random shots from the camera.

kayak karl
06-23-2011, 19:31
Pentax Optio W90 (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/pentax-optio-w90-orange/4505-6501_7-34145669.html)