PDA

View Full Version : The Roller Coaster (VA)

mooseboy
06-22-2011, 14:19
I noticed in the 2010 Thru-Hikers' Companion that the Roller Coaster section cryptically had added "(switchbacks coming!)" to its description.

Does this mean there will be a new routing of the AT through this section that turns some of it into switchbacks? Anyone know of any re-routing through this section?

I figured it MIGHT mean that once through this section, the hiker gets more switchbacks than straight climbs, but AFAIK that's not particularly true, nor does it specify whether that'd be true for NOBOs or SOBOs, so I don't think that's what it meant.

RevLee
06-22-2011, 16:11
The Roller Coaster is over-hyped. There's not enough elevation change for switchbacks with climbs of only a couple of hundred feet.

mooseboy
06-22-2011, 16:17
The Roller Coaster is over-hyped. There's not enough elevation change for switchbacks with climbs of only a couple of hundred feet.

That may well be; I've dealt with the rock scrambles in PA, NY, & NH. I was just generally curious about any planned re-routings of the AT, and why the Companion chose to mention this (it wasn't in previous editions).

harryfred
06-22-2011, 16:37
Agreed they kicked my butt but it was very hot, very humid, and it is an old, fat butt. Getting in and out of some of the gaps in PA are much worse. They are just not one right after another.