PDA

View Full Version : How early is too early?

TheRaven
06-22-2011, 18:09
We are thinking about Hitting Baxter this August/September and then Leaving Abol the following May before Baxter opens. I know the ferryboat starts running in May, so technically that's my only limiter...No?

Slo-go'en
06-22-2011, 20:31
As you live in Maine, you should already know it all depends on the type of winter and spring we have. On average, it will be cold, wet, muddy, buggy with some insane river fords. If there is a lot of late season snow, you can be postholeing at the higher elevations, north slopes and other shady areas well into May.

I head south for April and May, rest up in June and start hiking again in NH and Maine in July.

TheRaven
06-22-2011, 20:52
Well, at any time it's cold, wet, muddy, buggy depending on where you are..LOL. Maine is a rugged state and you need to be half nuts to live here. :)
I guess I will play it by ear. Least year would have been fine to leave in early May, this year....early June. Next year...who knows

Ahite
11-07-2011, 18:26
I'm planning a section hike of the entire trail over two summers. I would really like to start in Maine. My problem is that I need to start in the second week of May to have a reasonable chance of completing 1/2 of the trail before I must return to work.
I assume it is possible to start that early some years and others years, with hard winters, one must start later. I understand the Baxter State Park is closed to overnight camping until June 1, but that it is open for day use before that. So my question is, how likely is it that I will have reasonable weather in the second week of Maine to begin a South Bound trek? My back-up plan is to start at Harpers Ferry and hike North to Katahdin.

Slo-go'en
11-08-2011, 00:48
Mid May start? - Harpers Ferry hands down. Trust me, you DO NOT want to be hiking in Maine in Mid May to Mid June. Its the absolute worst time to do it.

You'll have a much more enjoyable and likely sucessfull hike by going north from HF. By the time you get to Maine, the weather will be nice and you'll be in shape to enjoy the state.

leatherneck52
11-12-2011, 12:42
I'm a newbie hiker with the only chance this year to start the Trail the end of this month realizing it is early going- with plans heading south of the boarder of PA to GA and back-any pointers from you vetrans?

takethisbread
11-12-2011, 13:21
I'm a newbie hiker with the only chance this year to start the Trail the end of this month realizing it is early going- with plans heading south of the boarder of PA to GA and back-any pointers from you vetrans?I think it's a great time to head south. It's gonna be cold nights and perhaps some snow on occasion But the hiking temps will be good all the way through. You may run into major snow issues in Gsmnp of you take a long time to get there. Short days are going become a bit of a problem. I think all of the latest Sobos will have already passed through by this time, And with good pace you should finish Feb 1

leatherneck52
11-12-2011, 15:43
thanks for the heads up- not to sound newbish- whats gsmnp? and no doubt if I want my ass warm I'll have an exceptional heavier pack than a normal season packer? not that I what too.

Feral Bill
11-12-2011, 17:29
Great Smokey Mountains National Park. You should have a somewhat heavier pack that for summer, but not crazy heavy.

takethisbread
11-12-2011, 18:36
thanks for the heads up- not to sound newbish- whats gsmnp? and no doubt if I want my ass warm I'll have an exceptional heavier pack than a normal season packer? not that I what too.You can achieve this hike with a pretty low base pack weight, certainly under 15 lbs if you have good ultra light gear with a tent, pad, bag, clothes, and all accessories. You could totally eschew the tent and just use shelters as they will likely be available to you all the way and carry a tarp in case of emergency. If you can live without too many creature comforts, youll be ok. A really warm bag (2-3lbs)is one item to not skimp on. A warm jacket for camp as well (you can get these at like 6 ounces)

Tundra
11-13-2011, 16:02
Mid May start? - Harpers Ferry hands down. Trust me, you DO NOT want to be hiking in Maine in Mid May to Mid June. Its the absolute worst time to do it. You'll have a much more enjoyable and likely sucessfull hike by going north from HF. By the time you get to Maine, the weather will be nice and you'll be in shape to enjoy the state. Because of black flies, mud and or snow? Any other reasons? I hope to finishing in late may.