PDA

View Full Version : Coming from Iowa, I had no training for those mountains...

myotheralt
06-22-2011, 19:09
I tried to start a thru hike in Maine. I made it about 130 miles before my knees said 'no more!' I pushed on to 150 miles. My feet also said stop.

I have gone back home to recover a bit, and plan to return to do as much of Virginia south from Harpers Ferry as I can for a month in October.

HiKen2011
06-22-2011, 19:11
I love Iowa, been there many times! The Mtns. are differnet than your flatlands, just slow down and enjoy!

Cookerhiker
06-22-2011, 19:20
You were wise to end your hike when you did before more serious damage was done to your knees. As you may know, the remainder of Maine that you didn't reach is more arduous than the portion you hiked.

You'll enjoy Virginia in the Fall. It's not Maine but it's more mountainous than Iowa! Just take your time.

DLANOIE
06-22-2011, 19:28
Come on back sometime, ayuh!

johnnybgood
06-22-2011, 21:04
October in Virginia is an excellent time to hike ,ie no bugs, cool days and the radiant colors of fall foliage beginning . The hike south of Harpers Ferry will give you a sampling of what to expect while hiking Virginia with the infamous " rollercoaster " at the front end of your hike.

MichaelnStl
06-22-2011, 21:13
How much weight were you carrying? That was a big problem when I did my first section hike on the AT. 50 lbs at your local state park for 7 miles is fine, 50 lbs on your back for 10 miles a day for 7 days is something totally different.

Michael

myotheralt
06-22-2011, 22:54
Yeah, I have upgraded to some lighter items, better shoes, sending a bit home. I had my netbook that I was going to bounce ahead every so often (couldnt afford to do it every town) I also had a DSLR that should have been replaced before I started with a little camera.

On the plus side, I will get to fix up my motorcycle and get some ride time before it snows this year.

ki0eh
06-23-2011, 14:52
Northeast Iowa isn't flat (there's actually a truck escape ramp on US 18 in Allamakee County, and an inclined railroad in Dubuque) but neither is it Maine. I used to go to the http://www.minesofspain.org/ when I didn't feel up to driving further up into WI for a woods and hills fix.

ChinMusic
06-23-2011, 15:15
I'm from Illinois. I haven't done any more than 1 week section hikes on the AT and all those have been done from Damascus-south. I know well what you mean about coming in cold from flat land. You just gotta take it slow and listen to your body (knees). Pushing too hard, too fast, is not a good formula. Have you tried any light weight knees braces? You know, the ones that just kinda support all your "knee parts"? I got good knees but I do notice some knee pain on downhills late in the day. Those braces come in handy but I try not to use them.