PDA

View Full Version : easy to cook meals

taylorbena
02-03-2005, 17:40
Well, everything is final. I bought my plane ticket to GA and I'll be starting March 12!! but I still haven't learned how to cook anything yet. I've got my pepsi stove and a set of pots and cozys (from anti-gravity gear). I guess my question is what are some good/easy meals to start playing around with on my stove?
Thanks!

Marta
02-03-2005, 17:52
You can cook anything where the directions read: "Just add water." If the recipe asks for more, it's too much trouble to make and too much trouble to clean up after.
Marta

chris
02-03-2005, 18:28
Some easy fixings:

1) Instant mashed potatoes
2) Instant stuffing
3) Ramen noodles
4) Couscous
5) Lipton's Sidekicks (various noodle or rice dishes)
6) Mac and cheese (the velveeta kind is heavier and tastier)

These are all of the boil water, add, cook a couple of minutes (with the cozy, you cook less, let it sit longer). Avoid things that list a boil time of more than 12 minutes. Many bean and rice dishes have a 20-30 minute boil time. You don't want them.

For dinners, shoot for 1000 calories. So, you would need 2 packages of ramen noodles, for example. If salt or MSG bothers you, you might not want to eat much ramen. A good way to add extra calories is to carry a soda bottle with olive oil in it. Use "pure" olive oil if you want a less strong flavor. I find that 1/4 cup is good for most things. If you start a strong pour, let about 1 seconds worth of oil come out. That is about 1/4 of a cup.

A nice treat, particularly coming out of town, is to carry tortellini (you can buy dried stuff, or the fresh stuff) and a sauce packet. Knorr makes some nice ones. Or, bring a tub of pesto out with you. You can buy a pound of pasta and divide into either thirds or halves, depending on your calorie needs. Just buy small pasta. Capellini is good (break in half). Orzo or tubetti are both good. To start, I would put the pasta in the pot, cover with water, and start cooking. You will need a little extra water to make the sauce with. Dump in the olive oil when you add the sauce packet. Eventually you will get good enough at estimating that you will be able to boil the water first, add the pasta, cook it, and have just enough water left over for the sauce, but this takes some skill.

Another nice treat is to mix instant spuds, instant gravy packet, instant stuffing, and plenty of oil. Cook it up (using extra water for gravy). Then dump in a can of turkey and have thanksgiving dinner.

Coming out of town, or for special occasion, you can bring a Jello No-Bake-Cheesecake and have only desert for dinner.

The Solemates
02-03-2005, 18:28
Well, everything is final. I bought my plane ticket to GA and I'll be starting March 12!! but I still haven't learned how to cook anything yet. I've got my pepsi stove and a set of pots and cozys (from anti-gravity gear). I guess my question is what are some good/easy meals to start playing around with on my stove?
Thanks!

Leave me a note in the springer register. Thats my birthday.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 20:39
You can add this to the "easy to cook" list of foods:

Stovetop Stuffing Mix. Light as it gets and all ya need is boiling water. Get the chicken variety and add some chicken chunks from a foil packet ...YUM!! Warm, filling and loaded with calories. One bag of stuffing mix makes 2 dinners. Suggest repackaging it in ziplock so that you can pour off a portion for each meal.

'Slogger
AT 2003

TDale
02-03-2005, 21:08
Allow me to introduce you to the Goddess of "just add water" cooking:

http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/index.htm

hikerjohnd
02-03-2005, 21:08
Stovetop? I thought that needed butter ... does it work well without? Thanks...

--John

saimyoji
02-03-2005, 21:49
These are good because of the carb content, and their versatility. You can smear just about any kind of spread on them and they're yummy, you can wrap sandwich meats and cheese in them, you can make quesadillas, or you can just eat them as is. They are pretty dense, easy to pack (either flat or rolled around something) and have a decent caloric value. I often pre-make several wraps of turkey, provolone, lettuce, tomota, onion; roastbeef, Am.cheese and veggies, ham&cheese; etc.

I would think they'd keep longest in cooler (cold) weather. In the heat and humidity they'd mold over pretty quickly.

jackiebolen
02-03-2005, 22:12
Don't cook,just go cold. What could be easier than cutting open a bagel, cutting a slab of cheese and meat and making a sandwich.

squirrel bait
02-03-2005, 22:39
Try the Old Fashioned Pepper Gravy Mix. Boil two cups water, add mix to one cup cold water and add to the boiling water. Don't have one in front of me but the calorie content is out of this world. Can be mixed/poured over anything. Costs less than a dollar per pack. I second the tortillas, they are so easy and can handle a wide variety of foods. Just remember on your first day or two or three your hunger will not kick in. You can pack light for these days. Have maybe more snacks than dinners. Practice cooking in your backyard and yes, practice under a small tarp in the rain and wind. You'll learn right quickly which way the wind/rain is blowing, all about windscreens and what two cups of water looks like without measuring. Bagels with peanut butter are an excellent item. Real chewy and satisfying. Good luck on your hike.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 22:57
Stovetop? I thought that needed butter ... does it work well without? Thanks...

--John===========================
Works like a champ. If you have a little olive oil it's even better. I made a lot of stovetop stuffing in 2003 and never carried a drip of butter.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hikerjohnd
02-03-2005, 22:59
===========================
Works like a champ. If you have a little olive oil it's even better. I made a lot of stovetop stuffing in 2003 and never carried a drip of butter.

'Slogger
AT 2003
Excellent - another item to add to the shopping list!

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 23:26
Excellent - another item to add to the shopping list!===================================
I'll tell you another really neat thing about Stovetop Stuffing Mix ...all you have to do is bring the water to a boil dump in the mix, cover the pot and take it off the stove. The mix will totally absorb the water without stirring and you'll be eating a tasty warm meal in 3 - 4 minutes.

'Slogger
AT 2003

halibut15
02-03-2005, 23:41
Two words dude: Ramen. Noodles. All you need to know. :banana

hikerjohnd
02-03-2005, 23:51
Two words dude: Ramen. Noodles. All you need to know. :banana
Ramen noodles:

Not in a box
Not with a fox
Not in a house
Not with a mouse
I would not eat them
here or there
I would not eat them anywhere.

I can not even walk by them in a store without feeling sick - I just can not fathom eating ramen.

bigcat2
02-04-2005, 00:56
I have to agree w/ hikerjohnd on this one. When I first started backpacking, all I had w/ me was Ramen, mainly because of the price. After about 4 trips I discovered better items such as the Liptons sides. Mmmmm. :)

One receipe I've had at home and am anxious to try on the trail is the following:

1 single serving Mtn. House scrambled eggs and bacon (I think I'm right w/ the bacon in it)
Instant white rice
Cheese
Tortilla shell

I know it may not sound great to some, but they are quite tasty, at least at the house they are. Just fix your eggs and rice and put all the ingrediants on the tortilla shell. Good luck w/ your hike.

Oracle
02-04-2005, 09:02
This weekend, I'm taking Vigo "Stars and Stripes" (it's like chicken Rice-a-roni, but the pasta in it is pre-toasted, so you can skip that step, and just add water) - boil water, put rice mix in boiling water, bring back to a boil, then put in simmering cozy for 30 minutes. I'll probably add some foil-pack chicken as well. A lot of the Vigo "rice and/or beans" dishes are good and cook well in a simmering cozy (the beans are precooked, which makes this much easier).

I also like some cheese grits with smoked sausage for breakfast, that's pretty easy as well, but can be a pain to clean up after.

www.importfoods.com has a lot of interesting thai sauces and dehydrated foods for making thai and other asian cuisine, I think I'm going to order some and make panang curry on my next section hike :).

hikerjohnd
02-04-2005, 09:57
Allow me to introduce you to the Goddess of "just add water" cooking:

http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/index.htm
I just checked out this website and I'll have to try some of the recipes - it's like Mountain House - only affordable!

NotYet
02-04-2005, 10:11
Fantanstics has black bean flakes that are, well, fantastic!

My favorite "woods meal" is 1/2 cup of these bean flakes and 1 and 1/2 cups of Minute Rice. Add an equal amount of boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes....YUMMY! I like to add salt, pepper, cheese & butter...but it still tastes good with just salt & pepper. At home I still like to eat this...it's even better at home because I can add green chilis and hot sauce easier!

For some variety, Fantastics also makes a refried bean mix and vegatarian chili mix that are good (but I think the black beans are much tastier). A lot of the health food type stores carry this brand. I don't know if any stores along the trail would carry this, and you'd also have to repackage the Minute Rice. So, needless to say, this meal works best if you're planning to do mail drops... :)

I also enjoy 4 to 5 oz. of Angel Hair Pasta (quicker cooking than alot of other pastas). With this I pack different soup and sauce mixes for flavoring.

I also carried some intant milk and some instant potatoes to help thicken/beef up some of the meals.

TJ aka Teej
02-04-2005, 13:14
what are some good/easy meals to start playing around with on my stove?
Practice cooking at home. Try cooking odd stuff - grilled cheeses, pancakes, toast, hotdogs - and amaze your friends on the trail. Keep track of your fuel consumption, how many cooks did you get out of how ounces. Make up a 'practice' 4 day food bag, and eat only from that bag for the next 4 days. What did you hate? What worked? How much water did each meal use? Think hard about your choices and then redo the food bag experiment.

My food tips:
Bring fresh food for the first day out: subs, hotdogs, muffins, grapes, hard boiled eggs, an apple tomato or onion.
Repackage and LABEL everything in serving sized baggies.
Stove Top Stuffing and instant mashed potatos: fast hot filling.
Packets of mayo, olive oil, strawberry jam, maple syrup, salsa, and the like from salad bars and fast food joints.
Dried veggies and fruit mixed into almost anything improves it.
Tuna and Chicken in foil packets.
Cruise the ethnic food section of your market.
Hot dog rolls instead of pita bread for mini-subs.
Crystal light drink mixes - more than one flavor.
Marshmallows - if you're in campfire territory.
Potato chips and crackers, because crunchy fatty salty snacks are good for you!

Mags
02-04-2005, 13:42
I am a big fan of Lipton's Rice w/ Stovetop Mix. Mmmm mmm good...

rickb
02-04-2005, 13:56
The thing about Ramen is you have to treat the flavouring packet as toxic waste. But if you replace that with a packet of a cream type soup mix they get better.

Foil pouch meats are great, but if you are only able to find cans of ham, or tuna, chicken or even (God forbid) Vienna sausages to toss in with your stuffing, cous cous, noodles, potatoes (whatever)-- they are not all that heavy.

Don't be afraid of canned meat. Except Spam.

Rick B

weary
02-04-2005, 16:13
....Foil pouch meats are great, but if you are only able to find cans of ham, or tuna, chicken or even (God forbid) Vienna sausages to toss in with your stuffing, cous cous, noodles, potatoes (whatever)-- they are not all that heavy. Don't be afraid of canned meat. Except Spam.
Rick B
I don't mind a little premium for convenience, but as long as foil-based things cost two and three times more per ounce than cans, I'll stick with cans. A steel can for six ounces of tuna weighs just a tiny bit more than an ounce. If you can find tuna in aluminum cans, the weight is even less than foil.

Between typical resupply points these days even steel figures out only to about an extra quarter pound even if you use a can a day, which I never do. Usually I'll use just a can or two a week, or a couple of extra ounces, for protein variety.

Weary

Chantilly Lace
02-04-2005, 18:19
Try adding TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) to your meals on occasion rather than canned/foil meats. TVP doesn't add any flavor but it adds protein and adds some chewyness to the meal. On the plus side, it is VERY LIGHTWEIGHT! No, I'm not a vegetarian but I like the convenience and nutrition factor. Eating just ramen, stuffing, pasta and potatoes just doesn't cut it for me healthwise.

Another absolute favorite in my food bag is dried corn. It tastes like corn but extremely sweet and crunchy. Great for a snack or tossed in any dinner and packs alot of nutrition. Dried corn can be found in health food stores and in some produce departments of regular grocery stores with the dried fruit.

Pokemom

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2005, 18:43
If I'm overnighting anywhere with a freezer (some motels, nearly all hostels, etc.) I'll buy a piece of real meat (like a steak or some cubed stew beef) at the supermarket and freeze it solid.

By the end of the next day's hiking, it'll have thawed out nicely and can be cut up and added to any dinner.

It makes for a great treat your first night outta town, and beats hell out of canned meat such as tinned chicken, turkey ham, Spam, etc.

I always try to make the first meal out of town a special one, even if it means carrying a few extra ounces that first day. (You can also do this with poultry or fish if you're not a red-meat eater, but be aware that these foods tend to spoil a lot quicker).

If you do carry real meat out of town, be sure to wrap it tightly, and consider double-ziplocking it, so you don't have a disgusting bloody mess in your pack.

And speaking of meat, the boxes of pre-cooked bacon they have now are also great for hiking carnivores: One pound of bacon only weighs a few ounces, and it can be added to just about anything, especially pastas, Liptons, soups, etc. If you keep it ziplocked, it'll last for several days. Even a slice or two, chopped up, makes a tremendous addition to things like Lipton Alfredo or even a simple mac and cheese.

Likewise, the foil wrapped meat servings they have now are also great, especially the chicken, which can be added to just about anything.

The Old Fhart
02-04-2005, 20:49
Don't forget the Hunt's Manwich Sloppy Joe in the 4oz soft pouch @ $0.79 at Big Lots (and other places) that makes good sandwiches or pasta sauce. Also the 4oz MRE ham slices are great if you can find them. And the Armour dried beef (repackaged) can be shredded and used in instant mashed potatoes, etc. Pepperoni slices are available in most food stores and make a great snack. There are lots more meat choices without cans that last almost forever without refrigeration as well.

Chantilly Lace
02-04-2005, 20:51
Jack - How does one pound of bacon only weigh a few ounces?

kncats
02-04-2005, 21:07
One pound before they cook it. What you get for a few ounces is the equivalent of a pound of raw bacon.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 21:25
Jack - How does one pound of bacon only weigh a few ounces?===========================
At first that sounds funny ...but if you'v ever done any serious dehydrating of beef you'd relate. Take a pound of ground sirloin, saute and brown it and then put it in the dehydrater for 6 hours. It shrinks to a small pile of brown chunks and weighs a few ounces.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Oracle
02-04-2005, 21:31
There are single-serving foil packed spam slices now too. I haven't tried one yet, but I've seen them in the grocery store.

TJ aka Teej
02-04-2005, 23:35
And speaking of meat, the boxes of pre-cooked bacon they have now are also great for hiking carnivores,
I've tried two different brands of this when it first came out, probably Oscar Myer and Idunno, and they were horrid. Which sucked because I love real bacon. Has anyone found a brand of this that doesn't seem like doggie treats?

slabfoot
02-08-2005, 09:37
a trail meal that seems to go over well with my kids is a pot of chicken flavered ramen thickened with a couple tablespoons of instant potatoes, add a foil pouch or can of cooked chicken and lots-o black pepper. fast, easy and filling. you can almost forget it's really ramen!

regards,
bill

Skyline
02-08-2005, 11:58
If you're into home-dehydrating, buy some frozen black-eyed peas in a bag, and spice them up with whatever floats your boat. I like garlic and a combination of black and red pepper. Then dehydrate until all the liquid is out of them.

A dehydrator tray will yield a pt. ziploc full of lightweight, dry, black eyed peas.

These rehydrate well in a little water, and then can be added to ramen, Lipton's, mashed potatoes...whatever...to make a delicious and healthy dinner.

fatmatt
02-08-2005, 14:41
Spam is my canned meat of choice. Fry it over your stove, and it is oh so tasty.

bearboy
02-09-2005, 01:25
im a big fan of spam aw well. also try adding a bit of cream cheese to your ramen....YUMMY!!!

Jaybird
02-09-2005, 09:08
go for the "FREEZE-DRIED" food....lite-weight & usually only requires boiling water!
(Mary Janes (http://www.backcountry.com/store/subcat/46/c/b100000042/Food.html), Mountain House (http://www.mountainhouse.com/), Alpine Aire (http://www.aa-foods.com/), etc)

if youre looking to go light-weight...this is THE WAY TO GO!
you can always get "REAL FOOD" when you head into a TRAIL TOWN! :D

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2005, 19:21
For people tired of mac and cheese or Liptons, there's an easy alternative:

For years, I've made my own "Liptons", by carrying different kinds of pasta, a few ounces of olive oil, powdered milk, assorted spices (including such things as garlic powder, lemon pepper, mixed italian herbs, curry powder, crushed red pepper), and grated parmesan/romano cheese.

You can then add some of the following items and come up with all sorts of variations:

*Diced up fresh onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli (Fresh veggies will
last you several days from town before they go brown or mushy on you).
*Sun-dried tomatoes
*Freeze-dried bacon or bacon bits
*Tuna or other tinned or foil-packed meat
*Real cheese, cubed or cut very small
*Pepperoni, hard sausage, or other meat, even Slim Jims or Jerky

The possibilities are endless, and you'll come up with stuff that's far tastier, and certainly healthier than Liptons or basic mac and cheese, as you're cutting out a lot of processing, preservatives, and other stuff. Instead of paying $1.49 a piece for a bunch of Liptons that I've grown sick of, I'll a pound of thin spaghetti or other pasta for 79 cents, divide it three ways, and then add different things to it for the next few days. You end up eating lots better for about the same ammount of money.

Also, you can start out with rice, mashed potatoes, or stuffing mix instead of pasta and essentially do the same thing. An ounce or two of real cheese
melted on top of instant spuds or even white rice can make a great difference. Also, a lot of folks carry a small bottle of their favorite hot sauce, which will make anything taste better.

weary
02-09-2005, 21:05
For people tired of mac and cheese or Liptons, there's an easy alternative:

For years, I've made my own "Liptons", by carrying different kinds of pasta, a few ounces of olive oil, powdered milk, assorted spices (including such things as garlic powder, lemon pepper, mixed italian herbs, curry powder, crushed red pepper), and grated parmesan/romano cheese.

You can then add some of the following items and come up with all sorts of variations:

*Diced up fresh onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli (Fresh veggies will
last you several days from town before they go brown or mushy on you).
*Sun-dried tomatoes
*Freeze-dried bacon or bacon bits
*Tuna or other tinned or foil-packed meat
*Real cheese, cubed or cut very small
*Pepperoni, hard sausage, or other meat, even Slim Jims or Jerky

The possibilities are endless, and you'll come up with stuff that's far tastier, and certainly healthier than Liptons or basic mac and cheese, as you're cutting out a lot of processing, preservatives, and other stuff. Instead of paying $1.49 a piece for a bunch of Liptons that I've grown sick of, I'll a pound of thin spaghetti or other pasta for 79 cents, divide it three ways, and then add different things to it for the next few days. You end up eating lots better for about the same ammount of money.

Also, you can start out with rice, mashed potatoes, or stuffing mix instead of pasta and essentially do the same thing. An ounce or two of real cheese
melted on top of instant spuds or even white rice can make a great difference. Also, a lot of folks carry a small bottle of their favorite hot sauce, which will make anything taste better.
Jack has pretty much described my favorite trail concoction, except I tend to use rice half the time, rather than pasta, and always add some dried basil -- mostly because I grow my own and dry it over my wood-fired kitchen range. And am a fan of dried onions that most good supermarkets carry. Hot sauce is fine, but on the trail I make do with crushed red pepper flakes. No heavy liquid; no chance of spills.

Aside from other advantages, these concoctions cost a third of what Lipton's and other allegedly convenience stuff cost.

Weary

Newb
02-10-2005, 10:52
I like instant Refried bean mix. You don't have to cook the whole pack, just bring some water to a boil (a cup or less) and add the flakes until it starts to thicken. After a few attempts you'll be able to eyeball it pretty well.

Also, I use a home-made wood-burning stove, so I'm not adverse to longer cook times. I like to carry dried red or black beans with me in a ziploc. In the morning, I take a handful and put them in another bag with some water. At the end of the day I just put them in a pot and boil for 30 minutes 45 minutes.

One thing to carry in order to flavor foods is Buillion (sp?) cubes. Beef is best for beans, chicken for vegetables. If you gain some skill at finding wild edible plants you can make great soups with the bouillion cubes. Let's say you found some wild onions (not hard to find at all) and some ramps or arrowhead root. Just sautee the veggies in your pot with some olive oil, then add water and bouillion and let simmer a bit. You can throw in dried tortellini and make an even better soup.

Dont be afraid to experiment.

RagingHampster
03-06-2005, 16:08
The one food (if you want to call it that) that I never seem to get sick of are salty cheddar-type crackers such as cheez-itz or goldfish. Crushed-up they also thicken/zest-up almost any dish you can think of.

I really hate washing pots, and try not to if I can get away with it. I think unclean pots is one one of the reasons people get sick too. Even though it generates uber trash, I'm a fan of the Ziplock bag method. Powdered soups with dehydrated veggies thickened with crackers are great. You can even use the healthier whole grain versions which also lend fiber to your diet.

I also second Idahoan taters with stuffing and instant gravy! Eaten w/dried cranberries its just like thanksgiving!

Olive Oil is a must!

I use to eat the foil-packed chicken, but it just gets too-heavy on mulyiday hikes.

cutman11
03-06-2005, 20:21
So do you carry a new ziplock for each meal prepared, or wash out the used one and use it over and over?

RagingHampster
03-06-2005, 21:17
I tried reusing them, but they always smelled funky when I went to use them again. I'm just a weekend warrior anyways, so I guess its not that much trash. Sometimes I only eat one hot meal a day anyways.

JP
03-07-2005, 15:22
Mix up 2 cups of powdered milk or use a small can of condensed milk and add a little water to thin it out. Warm it up, when it just starts to bubble add a 6oz foil pack of smoked oysters and let all the oil drain in. Stir and add a table spoon of butter. When it starts to bubble again ,its ready. Drop in some oyster crackers and enjoy.

RagingHampster
03-07-2005, 16:23
Oh my god... I bet that will put hair on your chest

bulldog49
03-07-2005, 16:29
Mix up 2 cups of powdered milk or use a small can of condensed milk and add a little water to thin it out. Warm it up, when it just starts to bubble add a 6oz foil pack of smoked oysters and let all the oil drain in. Stir and add a table spoon of butter. When it starts to bubble again ,its ready. Drop in some oyster crackers and enjoy.

I would only use that recipe if I was hiking with my significant other! :D

sarbar
03-11-2005, 23:18
This weekend, I'm taking Vigo "Stars and Stripes" (it's like chicken Rice-a-roni, but the pasta in it is pre-toasted, so you can skip that step, and just add water) - boil water, put rice mix in boiling water, bring back to a boil, then put in simmering cozy for 30 minutes. I'll probably add some foil-pack chicken as well. A lot of the Vigo "rice and/or beans" dishes are good and cook well in a simmering cozy (the beans are precooked, which makes this much easier).

I also like some cheese grits with smoked sausage for breakfast, that's pretty easy as well, but can be a pain to clean up after.

www.importfoods.com (http://www.importfoods.com/) has a lot of interesting thai sauces and dehydrated foods for making thai and other asian cuisine, I think I'm going to order some and make panang curry on my next section hike :).
Oracle....when I saw your link I was wowed! I work for Importfood.com. We are based outside of Seattle, Wa :) I run the wharehouse and usually pack all the orders...so if you have ordered I probably packed it!

sarbar
03-11-2005, 23:26
TDale...I actually found this site due to a message that was left on my website. Thank you soooo much! Thanks for spreading that you can eat good and not go broke (or spend all night cleaning pans!)

I may be from the West Coast but I have hiked on the AT :) My boyfriend is from the Mid-Atlantic region orginally and is a hiker also.

Sarbar
http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/

TDale
03-11-2005, 23:29
Ladies and germs, ^ Sarbar is the Queen of the just-add-water cooking site I posted on page one of this thread.

Hey sar! I'm spreadin' the word!

rpettit
03-11-2005, 23:59
The freezerbagcooking site was very interesting. MountainHouse is getting old. Does anyone know where I can purchase freeze dried meats? I don't what to carry the weight of hydrated meat to add to these recipes.

TDale
03-12-2005, 00:05
Most of the names in camping food sell freeze-dried or dried meats or you can dry your own. Just shop around.

Ewker
06-01-2005, 16:26
The freezerbagcooking site was very interesting. MountainHouse is getting old. Does anyone know where I can purchase freeze dried meats? I don't what to carry the weight of hydrated meat to add to these recipes.

have you ever tried Enertia Meals. There meals are the add boling water type. They also have some where you have to cook. They also carry packs of crushed red pepper, squeeze tubes of peanut butter and jellys, parmensan cheese, etc

www.trailfoods.com (http://www.trailfoods.com)

Saluki Dave
06-01-2005, 16:40
S p a m H a i k u s

1. Blue can of steel; What promise do you hold? Salt flesh so ripe

2. Can of metal, slick; Soft center, so cool, moistening; I yearn for your salt

3. Twist, pull the sharp lid; Jerks and cuts me deeply but; Spam, aah, my poultice

4. Silent, former pig; One communal awareness; Myriad pink bricks

5. Clad in metal, proud; No mere salt-curing for you; You are not bacon

6. And who dares mock Spam; You? you? you are not worthy; Of one rich pink fleck

7. Like some spongy rock; A granite, my piece of Spam; In sunlight on my plate

8. Little slab of meat; In a wash of clear jelly; Now I heat the pan

9. Oh tin of pink meat; I ponder what you may be; Snout or ear or feet?

10. In the cool morning; I fry up a slab of Spam; A dog barks next door

11. Pink tender morsel; Glistening with salty gel; What the hell is it?

12. Ears, snouts and innards; A homogeneous mass; Pass another slice

13. Old man seeks doctor; "I eat Spam daily", he says; Angioplasty

14. Highly unnatural; The tortured shape of this "food"; A small pink coffin

15. Pink porky temptress; I can no longer remain; Vegetarian

By the way, avoid "potted meat food product" at all costs!

sarbar
06-01-2005, 19:51
Ewker....if you want to save $$ and get cheap condiments, go to:
http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx
Problem with Enertia is they are pricey...yikes! (But otherwise are fine!)

Smile
06-01-2005, 21:11
Anybody know how long Grated Parmesan cheese will last out of the fridge in a pack in summer time?

sarbar
06-01-2005, 21:30
Personally....while cheese will last a good amount of time, if you are going to carry real parm, carry a block, it is safer for you. You can get tiny graters too ;)
As for me...I just carry parm packets I "borrow: from the deli at Sam's Club ;)

neo
06-01-2005, 23:03
all my meals easy to cook,just boil water,add whatever,stir,let set 10 minutes then eat:cool: neo

Ewker
06-02-2005, 13:40
Ewker....if you want to save $$ and get cheap condiments, go to:
http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx
Problem with Enertia is they are pricey...yikes! (But otherwise are fine!)
pricey in what way? A combo pack of PB/Jelly is 1.25 for 2.12 oz at Enertia

at the other site a .5 oz of jelly runs .16 to .25 each

PB is .75 oz runs for .42 to .44 each

so you would need to buy 2 ea and that would equal 2.50 oz for 1.16 to 1.38

that isn't that big of a deal.

The biggest advantage is the amount of product they have to offer compared to enertia

minnesotasmith
06-02-2005, 17:09
"Ursack is currently unable to purchase Spectra fabric (or its equivalent).
The military has requisitioned it all.
Until we are able to get fabric, we can't make Ursacks.
Our suppliers are unable to even predict when that will be.
None of our dealers have Ursacks either.
In fact, the only new Ursack we know of is on exhibit at the Smithsonian,
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York (http://ndm.si.edu (http://ndm.si.edu/)), where it is part of the Extreme Textiles exhibition running from April 8 to October 30, 2005.
As soon as we are able to get back into production, we will.
Sorry, we don't maintain a waiting list."

NotYet
06-02-2005, 19:05
Anybody know how long Grated Parmesan cheese will last out of the fridge in a pack in summer time?

The folks at my local Pizza Hut were happy to sell me a box of their little parmesan packets at cost. I had more than enough...and the leftover packets were still good long after my hike!

Cookerhiker
06-02-2005, 20:49
Didn't see if anyone mentioned peanut sauce. At home, grind up dry roasted peanuts in a blender. Add pepper, dried vegetables, powdered milk etc. if desired. Pack it in a baggie or ziplock. On the trail, simply save some of your pasta/rice cooking water, add the peanuts and heat & stir no more than 2 minutes. If you made dry couscous with the water all absorbed, add some water to heat the ground peanut mix. Can't beat the taste and nutrition.

sarbar
06-02-2005, 23:35
Ewker...I didn't say I have paid for my condiment pkgs ;) Lets just say I have NO shame in asking everywhere I go for extras :D Hehheh!! (And yeah, I actually bag my condiments by type in ziploc bags in my kitchen. No obsession there ;)
Also helps to have hiking partners that work in hospitals and food service <whistling innocently>

Ewker
06-03-2005, 11:09
Ewker...I didn't say I have paid for my condiment pkgs ;) Lets just say I have NO shame in asking everywhere I go for extras :D Hehheh!! (And yeah, I actually bag my condiments by type in ziploc bags in my kitchen. No obsession there ;)
Also helps to have hiking partners that work in hospitals and food service <whistling innocently>
I have grabbed a few myself from fast food places. In a few places they have started charging extra for them. Get this I like hot mustard on fries when I eat them. I have asked for extra packs (if they carry it) and they have asked me whatI wanted it for. I said my fries, they go yeah sure and won't give them up. It seems you have to eat a certain food to get certain items like mustard/ranch dressing, etc

Also anyone have any idea on the shelf life of the prepackaged condiments?

Lumberjack
06-03-2005, 11:54
Also anyone have any idea on the shelf life of the prepackaged condiments?

Nuclear winter ? :jump

sierraDoug
08-12-2005, 03:34
S p a m H a i k u s

1. Blue can of steel; What promise do you hold? Salt flesh so ripe

2. Can of metal, slick; Soft center, so cool, moistening; I yearn for your salt

3. Twist, pull the sharp lid; Jerks and cuts me deeply but; Spam, aah, my poultice

4. Silent, former pig; One communal awareness; Myriad pink bricks

5. Clad in metal, proud; No mere salt-curing for you; You are not bacon

6. And who dares mock Spam; You? you? you are not worthy; Of one rich pink fleck

7. Like some spongy rock; A granite, my piece of Spam; In sunlight on my plate

8. Little slab of meat; In a wash of clear jelly; Now I heat the pan

9. Oh tin of pink meat; I ponder what you may be; Snout or ear or feet?

10. In the cool morning; I fry up a slab of Spam; A dog barks next door

11. Pink tender morsel; Glistening with salty gel; What the hell is it?

12. Ears, snouts and innards; A homogeneous mass; Pass another slice

13. Old man seeks doctor; "I eat Spam daily", he says; Angioplasty

14. Highly unnatural; The tortured shape of this "food"; A small pink coffin

15. Pink porky temptress; I can no longer remain; Vegetarian

By the way, avoid "potted meat food product" at all costs!

I just have to say I laughed out loud at this crazy poetry. And emailed it to several non-hiker friends for a yuk. Too funny.

sarbar
08-12-2005, 09:59
Nuclear winter ? :jumpLol...as long as you store them in a dry cool place, they pretty much last a couple years. Only ones I don't keep long are the mayo packtes-those ones do age fast.
I think it helps that I am a female when I ask for packets-I make sure to prod my kid into whining :D Hehheh
My favorite score is one of the local McD's has wetnaps on the pop counter..oh yeah!

soulrebel
08-12-2005, 10:41
This just came out--but it's heavy b/c it's ready to eat-- 1/2lb for 400-500 cals.

http://www.unclebens.com/rice/default.aspx?tab=1&prodCat=1

Gonna try some this weekend--by setting my other food bag bag on top of it while it cooks.

Might be nice to have something that tastes good but no hassle especially w/ that steak on the first night out---That way all attention can be on cooking it just right---

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-12-2005, 11:29
I'm the queen of homedried meals and cooking with sauce mixes. Seems Jack T and Weary would be right at home in my backcountry kitchen.

I do have a question for the experienced backcountry cooks - has anyone tried using the butter flavored oils / shortening now available instead of olive oil? If so, how did they perfrom?

sarbar
08-12-2005, 17:23
This just came out--but it's heavy b/c it's ready to eat-- 1/2lb for 400-500 cals.

Gonna try some this weekend--by setting my other food bag bag on top of it while it cooks.

Might be nice to have something that tastes good but no hassle especially w/ that steak on the first night out---That way all attention can be on cooking it just right---
You might also try this brand :
www.cjgourmet.com (http://www.cjgourmet.com)
It is from S. Korea...and comes in regular, sticky rice and sprouted brown. It is minus all the heavy sodium :) - and comes in a nifty lightweight tray, that can be put into a pot of boiling water to heat up!

Footslogger
08-12-2005, 17:49
[QUOTE=soulrebel]This just came out--but it's heavy b/c it's ready to eat-- 1/2lb for 400-500 cals.

=============================================
Is it enough to feed 2 people ??

'Slogger

sarbar
08-12-2005, 18:36
[QUOTE=soulrebel]This just came out--but it's heavy b/c it's ready to eat-- 1/2lb for 400-500 cals.

=============================================
Is it enough to feed 2 people ??

'SloggerI have seen those Uncle Ben's bags-and yes, with meat or etc, they will feed two easily.

Newb
08-14-2005, 11:21
At keys Gap in Virginia there's an old Apple Orchard just south of the highway....I'm not suggesting you climb the fence and steal apples...but if one just jumps into your pack....

badinfluence
08-30-2005, 13:12
I had to sacrifice can weight - but I have lately been taken up by Goya rice products.

They weigh a little more than others, no biggie there - since it's essentially rice and negligable. However, I have taken to eating them with canned chicken - yum.

Just spent a week with my son in Baxter State Park, and let me tell you - they were rather tasty after a good hike!

As previously mentioned - I look for the "add water" varieties all the time now. I almost never use freeze dried food anymore, cost/convenience factor just hasn't been worth it for me personally.

On this trip for a week, I only had 4 packs of freeze dried foods - brought 2 mashed taters and 2 eggs and bacon - only used the eggs (needed a break from oatmeal!).

Jonathan