PDA

View Full Version : hiking poles on airplane

southern fossil
06-22-2011, 22:26
has anyone had a problem with this? mine are a bit bigger then my pack and stick out. has anyone tried putting them on the outside of your pack? was it ok?

Spokes
06-22-2011, 22:39
Check out TSA's "Prohibited Items List, Sporting Goods" HERE (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#5). Then call your airline for their policy.

Some people have gotten them through in checked baggage, others haven't. I say think worst case scenario and avoid the hassle- check them.

virgil
06-23-2011, 08:40
I've sent them thru in checked baggage no problem. Carry on, I wouldn't count on it. I'd guess the answer is "no". I've never tried it. They took one of those mini-swiss army knives from me the other day. My mistake, I know they take all (that's all) knives. But the hiking poles, they sure look like potential weapons to me. I think your chances are zero.

garlic08
06-23-2011, 09:02
I've tried to carry my poles on twice. Once TSA said "no problem," the other time it was "no way". Then I got to the plane and there were two people with hiking poles getting on. It completely depends on the agent, and don't argue.

wandering_bob
06-23-2011, 09:36
Not allowed.

Go to the post office. Buy one of the small diameter mailing tubes. Insert your poles. Tape the ends shut and place your name and contact information on the outside (in case the tube gets separated from your pack). Attach to the outside of your pack. Check the whole thing.

Use a cheap duffle bag or disposable plastic bag (the airlines usually have them at or near the ticket counter) to enclose both pack and tube. Keeps things together, straps from snagging on things or being used as handles by baggage handlers.

Tyler
06-23-2011, 11:00
This has been a question on mine as well. I decided to ship everything ahead - I hate dealing with checking baggage.

Cookerhiker
06-23-2011, 11:05
When I flew to CA to hike in '06, I put my entire backpack including poles in a large duffle bag and checked it.

Mags
06-23-2011, 14:15
When I flew to CA to hike in '06, I put my entire backpack including poles in a large duffle bag and checked it.

That's the way to go post 9/11. As Garlic said, too many variables with individual TSA agents. Why take a chance of getting delayed and having to (more than likely) check the baggage anyway?

Of course, shipping ahead may be the absolute easiest if money is not a factor....

Shutterbug
06-23-2011, 18:28
has anyone had a problem with this? mine are a bit bigger then my pack and stick out. has anyone tried putting them on the outside of your pack? was it ok?

The rule is (unless it has changed recently) that a passenger can carry on a cane or walking stick if the passenger needs it for walking. The question is whether you can keep a straight face when you tell the flight attendant that you need both of them for walking?

Wise Old Owl
06-23-2011, 18:43
I like that answer shutterbug...

PuF
06-23-2011, 19:11
Do like I did and use it as a cane and walk with a limp. I had no problems getting on and even got a free ride on my way to next terminal. Maybe I am just a good actor.

Wuff
06-30-2011, 10:38
I just flew home from DC smelly, with a giant beard and fro with my dirty poles on the outside of my pack and was able to carry it on the plane after a brief discussion among security people about whether they counted as a "walking stick". Eventually they just let me on the plane. Not before I had to unpack my cook system and show them everything though..

Iceaxe
06-30-2011, 11:56
I flew out of Bangor after the A.T. last week and had my trekking poles, disassembled into their sections, inside my pack. I checked the pack no problem.
My connecting flight was cancelled so I had to retrieve my pack and stay over night in Minneapolis.
This time I decided to just carry it on(I am a packsniffing ultralight weenie so it's a really small pack).
Just like before I had the three sections of Leki poles separated and stuffed inside my MLD Exodus along with 8 titanium tent stakes.
The x-ray machine operator never even gave it a second look.
Hilariously they never questioned why i was carrying a Golite chrome dome umbrella either.
Like others have said, you might be delayed depending on the TSA screener or you might sail right through.
I think the best bet is still to put everything into a cheap duffel bag (like a baseball bag) and check it as luggage. Make sure to put a card with your name and address inside your pack as well just in case.

truthisnature
06-30-2011, 19:18
Last Oct on a trip to Utah, several of my hiker friends placed their poles in a cardboard mailing tube and carried them on with no problems.

weary
06-30-2011, 20:21
The rule is (unless it has changed recently) that a passenger can carry on a cane or walking stick if the passenger needs it for walking. The question is whether you can keep a straight face when you tell the flight attendant that you need both of them for walking?

Those were the rules I was told, and followed, when I and my wife flew to Alaska for six weeks a few years ago. No one questioned our alder, homemade walking sticks with rubber crutch tips on the bottom. Whether lekis would pass the same muster, I don't know. It sometimes helps to be approaching 80 -- and act and look it.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
05-15-2012, 17:07
I told the TSA agent "they're for walking" and had no problem.

leaftye
05-15-2012, 17:18

I think it was someone on this forum that suggested painting the poles white with a red tip, and then wear dark glasses.

Nitrojoe
05-16-2012, 14:56
I went to a Goodwill store and spent ten dollars on a suit case large enought to fit my backpack and poles in. My flight was from Sacramento to Atlanta. When I got to the hostle near Springer, I asked the inn keepers to get rid of it for me. This is the easiest way to transport your gear and you dont have to worry about someone messing around with your gear or the straps getting caught in the converors.