PDA

View Full Version : Need directions to trailhead Sam's Gap Tn.

Rightfoot
06-23-2011, 09:39
I've decided to start my section hike at Sam's Gap (NoBo) Route 26 in Tenn. I am having a little difficulty getting directions to the trailhead. Somehow it looks like 23 and 26 are the same in this area. I want to make Bald Mountain Shelter my first night. I will be coming from Johnson City. Can anyone give me a hand?

THX

10-K
06-23-2011, 09:43
I've decided to start my section hike at Sam's Gap (NoBo) Route 26 in Tenn. I am having a little difficulty getting directions to the trailhead. Somehow it looks like 23 and 26 are the same in this area. I want to make Bald Mountain Shelter my first night. I will be coming from Johnson City. Can anyone give me a hand?

THX

Coming up I-26 from Asheville take the Wolf Laurel exit, turn right, go to dead end and turn left. Sam's Gap is a few miles up the road, just before the I-26 underpass you can't miss it.

Coming down I-26 towards Asheville, take the Flag Pond exit, turn right, go till the road dead ends and make a left. Sam's Gap is a few miles up the road, just after you go under the I-26 underpass.

Easy to get to, safe parking.

Tennessee Viking
06-23-2011, 10:26
Just to add. Some maps have the Sams Gap trailhead as Old US Highway 23, Sams Gap Road, or Flag Pond Road. There is a small modern parking area next to the underpass. If you are getting shuttled, your shuttle can pull into the truck pull-off on I-26 to drop you off and you can go through the cattle gate to the trailhead. No parking is allowed at the pull-off though.

Nobo trailhead is up the small switchback to an eastment gate. The Sobo trailhead is up a small driveway then quickly splits off.