PDA

View Full Version : Rockies Ruck March 25th - 27th

Mags
02-03-2005, 19:09
Next year, I'm doing it really early for planning! :)

Anyway, I initially booked a place for the Rockies Ruck and date. More details to follow (via a website) by Monday night.

It will be similar to the ALDHA-West gathering in that it will be held at at YMCA and meals are included.

The dates are Friday (afternoon) March 25th through Sunday March 27th (morning), I realized it was Easter Sunday after I booked it. But I've been to this YMCA before and they do have worship service on Sunday for those who chose so.

The cost is also simialr to the ALDHA-West Gathering in the price, about ~$75. More expensive than say ADZPCTKOP or ALDHA-East, but meals are included and lodging.

Each person pays their own way. I booked enough space for 40 people and you have unti Feb 25th to book. If you book after that date, you can get a room if available still. Suspect within two weeks of March 25th you can still get a room, after that all bets are probably off.

This was fairly last minute planning and idea that started on White Blaze about two weeks ago, but likes like it will work out. It is near Rocky Mountain National Park, less than two hours from Denver, etc. Will have a ride board up as well.

I looked into the hostel at Grand Lake, but it is closed this time of the year.

Again, more details by Monday Feb 7th at night on a websight. Consider this a "heads up" for now.

About time we had something in the Rockies. :D

orangebug
02-03-2005, 19:11
I hope you spread the word as broadly as possible (AT-L). What a great idea and great opportunity. I doubt I'll be able to participate, but anything I can do to help you organize, know that I'm available.

chris
02-03-2005, 19:34
Eeek! This is during my spring break and I will be in the grand canyon with, er, some people of the fairer sex.

gravityman
02-03-2005, 20:02
Next year, I'm doing it really early for planning! :)

Sorry, but I am date-challenged!

So, the Ruck is in 2006? And the reservations need to be made this year (2005, right? I forget some times :)

2006, we will be there. If it is in fact 2005, we will be hiking! YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Gravity

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 20:36
So, the Ruck is in 2006? And the reservations need to be made this year (2005, right? I forget some times :)
================================
Good question. Need clarification here Mags. The wife and I are off to Belize during Spring Break in March this year so I'm hoping this is for 2006.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Mags
02-03-2005, 20:47
It is for 2005. Sorry for any murkiness!

As I said, the last minute...but we only started discussing this two weeks ago. If it looks like there is enough interest, will plan one for 2006 staring latter part of this year.

TJ aka Teej
02-03-2005, 21:50
I hope you spread the word as broadly as possible (AT-L). What a great idea and great opportunity.From tiny acorns mighty oaks grow! I'll put this in the Hiker Event calendar, and spread the word a bit.

TankHiker
02-04-2005, 10:47
Ah, an excellent idea. I was a little surprised there wasn't something like that already. Unfortunately (or fortunately), that is the weekend I'll be headed to Springer Mountain.

Good luck, Mags!

-Tank

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 11:05
Those dates may not work for us either ...but we're gonna try and be there.

By the way Tank ...with that being your departure weekend from Springer it looks like we're on track for running into you either at Kincora or Damascus. Hike safely ...

'Slogger

Mags
02-08-2005, 00:32
Ah..looks like some of the local won't make it. :( Well, if it goes well, I'll do it next year. Think there is a demand for something like this out here in the Rockies!

Anway the no-frills website is up:

http://www.magnanti.com/rockies_ruck.htm

And the original (slightly edited) post below:

Two weeks ago there was discussion on having a
gathering for long distance hikers that would be
somewhere in the Rockies. So, a little last
minute..but we are hikers and can make do. Next year,
I'm doing it really early for planning! :)

Anyway, I booked a place for the Rockies Ruck and
date. More details to follow (via a website) by Monday
night.

It will be similar to the ALDHA-West gathering in that
it will be held at at YMCA and meals are included.

The dates are Friday (afternoon) March 25th through
Sunday March 27th (morning), I realized it was Easter
Sunday after I booked it. But I've been to this YMCA
before and they do have worship service on Sunday for
those who chose so.

The cost is also simialr to the ALDHA-West Gathering
in the price, $78. More expensive than say
ADZPCTKOP or ALDHA-East, but meals are included and
lodging.

Each person pays their own way. I booked enough space
for 30 people and you have unti Feb 25th to book. If
you book after that date, you can get a room if
available still. Suspect within two weeks of March
25th you can still get a room, after that all bets are
probably off.

This was fairly last minute planning and idea that
started on White Blaze about two weeks ago, but looks
like it will work out. It is near Rocky Mountain
National Park, less than two hours from Denver, etc.
Will have a ride board up as well.

I looked into the hostel at Grand Lake, but it is
closed this time of the year.

Again, more details by Monday Feb 7th at night on a
website. Consider this a "heads up" for now.

About time we had something in the Rockies. :D