PDA

View Full Version : solar charger?

jdc5294
06-23-2011, 23:21
I've hiked on many trails, however never on the AT. I'm planning on a thru-hike starting in mid-March of 2012, and one thing I'd like to have with me is a cell phone. However, calling back to base on a semi-regular basis will run the battery down well before I finish.

I was wondering if anyone has any positive experiences with solar-powered USB chargers while hiking? Strapping one to the outside of my backpack seems (to me) like the easiest way of keeping my phone charged while on the trail.

I'm not very electronics-savvy, but also if it's realistic to expect one that puts out enough power to run an iPod (i.e., with a surplus of power so that when plugged in it doesn't die).

Thanks in advance!

ChinMusic
06-23-2011, 23:30
Before the leaves come out you might get some charge. After the leaves are out you barely have a chance at a sunburn.

Slo-go'en
06-24-2011, 10:52
Even before the leaves come out, its hard to keep a solar charger in the sun enough to get much of a charge. Hanging it off the back of the pack doesn't cut it, as it rarely gets enough direct sun. If you read the fine print, these solar chargers need 8 to 10 hour of direct noon time sun to go from minimual to full charge. So, if you do run its battery down low, you have to remember to stop and put it in the direct sun for an hour at noon every day for over a week to get it charged up again. Not worth the weight or the expense of buying one.

So, what can you do instead?
For a phone, get a cheap, simple, basic phone which has good battery life. Keep it turned off or take the battery out most of the time. A basic Trac phone is a good choice and doesn't cost you a ton of money to keep it on the air.

For a MP3 player, get one that runs on a single AAA battery. RCA makes one which runs 30 hours on a single AAA, even longer with a lithium.

If you insist on using a smart phone or an Apple product which runs the battery down quickly, you can get spare external battery packs (sort of like the solar charger, but with out the solar panel) or an emergency charger which runs on two AA batteries.

BigRing
06-24-2011, 12:39
I just returned from a 9 day backpacking - flyfishing trip and used a Wagan charger and it worked great on keeping my cell and Ipod charged. Although I was stationary, there was little direct sunlight streamside. I tried keeping it in the sunlight, but ended up leaving it out on rock for about 45 minutes while eating lunch and ziptied it to the top of my pack while moving to another campsite. There are lighter units out there...not sure how well they work.

....just my .02.

Colter
06-24-2011, 13:04
I have used a solar charger with good results in other places, but I wouldn't on the A.T. Too much "green tunnel."

I would address the issue with spare batteries and/or charging in town. Turning off your phone most of the time and reducing usage will help. Most people who hike the AT with a cell phone don't have a solar charger and get by fine.

strollingalong
06-26-2011, 19:22
surely buy a cheap nokia (or whichever phone is most common in the US??) and then borrow chargers from people when you get the chance. I think every single person I know owns a nokia charger

LDog
06-26-2011, 19:34
After looking at solar and other options, at 5.5 ozs, this is the one that I'm focused on now:

http://www.rei.com/product/800240/brunton-inspire-portable-power-device

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 19:42
Get one of these and you will not need a charger. Simple, bulletproof, and light. I've had one and it's brilliant in it's simplicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_FONE_F3

Jersey Tim
06-26-2011, 19:50
As everyone else has said, foliage cover makes solar chargers an uncertain prospect on the AT. The most attractive option I've seen is a battery-powered charging pod, an example of which I'll link below. They're light when empty -- lighter than your phone's wall charger, and lighter than a solar panel -- and don't depend on sunshine or an available wall outlet. You can pick up AA batteries anywhere you'd ordinarily resupply, pop them in, and go about your shopping, then toss them on your way out of town.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CEL2MUSB-Energi--Instant-Charger/dp/B001FO0IPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309131781&sr=8-2

kayak karl
06-26-2011, 20:00
Get one of these and you will not need a charger. Simple, bulletproof, and light. I've had one and it's brilliant in it's simplicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_FONE_F3
you never have to charge it??

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 21:51
well, you do, but not as much as any other phone currently available. If you don't use it, the battery will last a couple months.

Stats 2012
06-27-2011, 01:47
Hey Willy,

I agree this looks promising. Let us know if you buy one. I don't suppose there's any difference between the Inspire (Blue) and Inspire (Orange) besides the color, huh?

After looking at solar and other options, at 5.5 ozs, this is the one that I'm focused on now:

http://www.rei.com/product/800240/brunton-inspire-portable-power-device

AKBOb
06-27-2011, 17:27
Chilly Willy.. I have what you are looking for. I spend weeks at a time in the Alaskan back country schlepping gear around and photographing. Weight is the biggest issue for me as I have to drag all my gear on my back whilst tracking wildlife and relocating camp. I have tried everything under the sun for charger solutions until I came across this; http://www.newtrent.com/IMP880P-IPhone-External-battery-p/imp880.htm, and I now use this charger exclusively. It will charge my nearly dead Iphone twice and still have charge left (I've adapted it to charge other gear too)! I do not have any ties with this company nor do I usually promote other peoples products but, every once in a while I find a gem like this. I have been using this a lot for the last year or so and it still works as good as the day I bought it.

btw - starting my bid for a through-hike on the AT next March also. Hope to see ya there.

AKBob - www.wrangellphoto.com (Alaska Nature and Wildlife Photography)

LDog
06-27-2011, 18:20
AKBob, Thanks, I'll take a hard look at it. A few ounces heavier than the Brunton, but gotta love an endorsement like that. I've emailed New Trent asking about whether device weights include charger weights, and if not, how much they weigh. I also see they offer devices with the option of charging via USB, and I've asked about whether the Apple USB charger would suffice .... We'll see :D

Thanks again, and hope to meet you out there.

Kalell
08-09-2011, 23:09
Looking at many solar chargers last year. I got an extra battery for the phone, and contemplating the energi to go instant charger. Cell Phone is critical due to family and sons wanting updates.

Wise Old Owl
08-09-2011, 23:54
jdc5294 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?34761-jdc5294)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/statusicongreen/user-offline.png

Over the years there has been a lot of miss-information here on WB almost frustrating... first let me encourage you, I am glad you posted. there are two thoughts of phones.... Smart Phones and Dumb Phones with a second battery... The new phone batteries will hold a charge for a month and weigh about two ounces. The offered panels on the market appear to be first generation... "low watts" except the pricy Bruton.

Secret to identify good panels... the micro wires that are printed on the best panels in plain view are closer together... a kyocera (http://www.kyocerasolar.com/) japan patent to making more electricity in ambient light. So on a foggy day or a sunset you CAN CHARGE!
\\

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?60271-Solar-Goose-(New-Cottage-manufacture)&highlight=

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?60271-Solar-Goose-(New-Cottage-manufacture)&highlight=)Don't forget there is freq, no signal in areas, this is one solution (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?60271-Solar-Goose-(New-Cottage-manufacture)&highlight=)

LDog
08-10-2011, 00:11
Chilly Willy... I have tried everything under the sun for charger solutions until I came across this; http://www.newtrent.com/IMP880P-IPhone-External-battery-p/imp880.htm, and I now use this charger exclusively. It will charge my nearly dead Iphone twice and still have charge left
After emailing with their very knowledgeable and responsive customer service, I pushed the button on their IMP1000. At
11000 m/Ah, it should recharge my droid 5-6 times. Might be overkill, and it ain't light, but better than carrying a comparable number of batteries-which would all have to be charged ...

--
Chilly

May just grab my pack and head for the mountains ...

laughingdawg.blogspot.com

LDog
08-11-2011, 20:27
I pushed the button on their IMP1000. At 11000 m/Ah, it should recharge my droid 5-6 times. Might be overkill, and it ain't light, but better than carrying a comparable number of batteries-which would all have to be charged

Got it today, put it on my scale, and found it to be 10.25 ozs vice 8. I was already taking on a lot of excess weight for what was arguably excessive capacity, but this was too much. I wrote them and asked for a return authorization to exchange for an IMP-500.

I'd only expect 3 recharges out of that, but I'm getting two solid days of use out of this phone between charges, so it ought to be sufficient.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/615339a4-7351-539b.jpg--
Chilly
laughingdawg.blogspot.com

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2011, 21:00
I would not be so quick to send it back... might be just what the doc ordered.

LDog
08-11-2011, 22:03
That big un would allow me to do whatever the hell I wanted with that smartphone. Use the GPS as much as I wanted, write long journal entries, upload pics, read my comics in the morning ... Being able to recharge the IMP-500 three times between town visits ought to be sufficient. By leaving the phone turned off when I don't need it, and managing power consumption when I do, I should be able to go as many as six or seven days. Be interesting to see if the IMP500 weighs what they claim ... Theoretically, it's a 2 oz difference.

LDog
08-13-2011, 11:33
Today, New Trent released a coupon code, redeemable on Amazon for their new ACD66. It's a 6600 mAh LiIon battery, compatible with most everything, allegedly weighing 8 ozs. Does not come with a charger, but can be charged with the diminutive Apple USB Wall Charger.

That would theoretically charge my HTC Incredible 2 four times

Amazon coupon code: 2X52FVJN (code only good for Asin # B002D4IHYM)
http://www.newtrent.com/ACD66-dual-USB-6600mAh-iphone-battery-p/acd66.htm

leaftye
08-13-2011, 16:24
Why not use your phone sparingly on the trail and take a couple hours to charge it when you're in town? Keep the calls short and consider texting your journal updates to a site like Postholer so that you can keep all your friends updated in a single stroke instead of communicating with them individually. Also, you already pass through towns frequently to resupply and the charger doesn't weigh much, and external batteries already require charging time and another charger, so I see bringing the cell phone charger as a much better option. Now if you can make the cell phone battery last a few weeks you may want to consider bouncing (mailing) the charger up the trail.

bfayer
08-13-2011, 19:08
I use a small back up charger I got at the airport. It uses one lithium AA battery and will run my phone for about 20 minutes.

Weight is less than two oz.

It came with adapters for just about every phone except iPhone.

There was a special one that cost more for the iPhone :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LDog
08-19-2011, 14:56
Today, New Trent released a coupon code, redeemable on Amazon for their new ACD66. It's a 6600 mAh LiIon battery, compatible with most everything, allegedly weighing 8 ozs. Does not come with a charger, but can be charged with the diminutive Apple USB Wall Charger.

Once again, New Trent's weights were off - This time in my favor. Tho spec'd at 8 ozs, it weighs 6.9 ozs on my scale. Add an Apple USB Wall Charger at .5 ozs and a 1 oz USB cable, and the whole thing weighs 8.4 ozs.

I'm thinking I might carry the droid, the ACD66, two Apple chargers, two USB cables and maybe a multi-outlet wall adapter so I can charge everything off one AC outlet ...

ReNew
09-06-2011, 00:49
I will be carrying the New Trent (http://http//www.newtrent.com/ACD66-dual-USB-6600mAh-iphone-battery-p/acd66.htm) Arcadia Pack ACD66 6600mAh External Battery Pack and Charger. 8 oz with some good reviews.

Shutter
10-09-2011, 19:16
Once again, New Trent's weights were off - This time in my favor. Tho spec'd at 8 ozs, it weighs 6.9 ozs on my scale. Add an Apple USB Wall Charger at .5 ozs and a 1 oz USB cable, and the whole thing weighs 8.4 ozs.

I'm thinking I might carry the droid, the ACD66, two Apple chargers, two USB cables and maybe a multi-outlet wall adapter so I can charge everything off one AC outlet ...

This all sounds like total overkill for what you want to do. I used my droid almost every day, I had it on airplane mode, used it for music, writing blog entries in town, the random call, and I'd download e-mail responses from blog posts when I felt like I was on a mountain that would have good reception. I carried my phone + 4 batteries + a wall charger. That was total overkill. I could get 22 hours of music out of one battery. I hardly every used more than 2 batteries, and I guarantee I was using my phone much more than the average hiker.
Personally I'd suggest just buying an extra battery, there are super cheap ones off of amazon and just using that. Once you get to a hostel or town, charge your phone. Even if you're just popping into town then leaving, I guarantee you that you'll be sitting at a restaurant, hostel, or grocery store for 1-2 hours, plenty of time to charge a battery. I realize that you're saying it's "only 8oz" but by the time you get to NC you'll be hating everything that is excess, by the time you get to PA you'll have trimmed down to what you need to survive, by the time you get to NH you'll have trimmed everything so you can just barely survive.

Just make sure you keep the thing in airplane mode, keep it off when you're not using it, you'd be surprised how long the battery will last when in airplane mode, close to a week.

Ditch all notion of having a solar charger, won't work out there, you're never in the sun long enough for them to fully charge. I met lots of people with solar chargers, not one of them had a good experience, and after a couple hundred miles, no one had them anymore.

Remember, you're not on a 6 month hike, you're on 40 4-day hikes, only plan for 4 days and your pack weight will be kept down.

funnelman
10-13-2011, 06:36
I have on eof these
http://www.rei.com/product/805459/eton-american-red-cross-clipray-charger
It is a wind up flashlight, weather radio and charger.
Not the best built item but it works.

Deadpete
12-27-2011, 10:13
I saw a handful of solar chargers on my hike this year, and only 1 person was happy with their purchase/carry.

I would strongly suggest not getting one.. and would instead suggest buying 2 or 3 identical cheap phones, carrying one phone, and the batteries from the others. This is only of course if you're that worried about always being able to use your phone.

I didn't read the thread, but, if you have AT&T don't plan on always being able to use your phone : ) Verizon was much better.

leaftye
12-27-2011, 16:13
I would strongly suggest not getting one.. and would instead suggest buying 2 or 3 identical cheap phones, carrying one phone, and the batteries from the others. This is only of course if you're that worried about always being able to use your phone.

There's no need to buy extra phones just for their batteries. Batteries are available separately, and they're only a few bucks each.

Bat321
12-27-2011, 17:32
Get extra phone batteries. They are lighter than your recharging unit. Use your airplane mode and your set.

leaftye
12-27-2011, 17:44
There is a downside to carrying extra phone batteries. You have to wait that much longer for them to charge.

On my next thru attempt, I'll carry extra batteries, but I might try something a little different with charging. I think I'll get enough batteries that I can send them home occasionally to be charged. I'm also going to try out using a tiny & light custom lithium charger that plugs into a usb port and uses magnetic alligator clips to attach to the battery. The charger is made to charge 18650 lithium ion batteries, but I believe it would work for a cell phone battery too. I'll start doing mail drops with my batteries if charging becomes inconvenient. Personally I love doing mail drops. My mail drops are sorted at home so that all I have to do is transfer the food from the box to my food bag. That saves me from wasting countless hours at every grocery store. I also don't mind eating the same thing over and over.

LDog
12-27-2011, 18:35
This all sounds like total overkill for what you want to do.
I'm not sure you have any idea of what I want to do ...

Personally I'd suggest just buying an extra battery, there are super cheap ones off of amazon and just using that. Once you get to a hostel or town, charge your phone. Even if you're just popping into town then leaving, I guarantee you that you'll be sitting at a restaurant, hostel, or grocery store for 1-2 hours, plenty of time to charge a battery.

Perhaps 1-2 hours is sufficient to recharge a battery fully, but you still need to recharge every battery you're carrying. Unless you're carrying multiple chargers, it increases the length of time you need to have dedicated use of an AC outlet.

I realize that you're saying it's "only 8oz"

I never said, or even implied that.

Miner
12-27-2011, 19:56
Forget solar chargers or external battery packs to charge your cell phone. They weigh too much and aren't needed. A solar charger has problems getting a charge in the green tunnel called the AT; heck even people on the PCT out west complain that most of the time its useless. And external battery packs weigh more then most large capacity batteries that smartphones use so carrying a spare batter makes far more sense.

That said, even people who insist on using an iPhone with its fixed battery have been able to keep it charged on a thru-hike. Carry the charger and ask at any resturant that you eat in if you can charge it (most will say yes) and obviously charge it in your motel room. Keep it turned off when you aren't using it will save your battery life for when you need to use it.

LDog
12-27-2011, 22:19
Forget solar chargers or external battery packs to charge your cell phone. They weigh too much and aren't needed.

That really depends upon an individual's requirements. If one wants to use a smartphone for multiple uses during the day, they might just need more power than you envision.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2011, 22:37
I have used a solar charger with good results in other places, but I wouldn't on the A.T. Too much "green tunnel."

I would address the issue with spare batteries and/or charging in town. Turning off your phone most of the time and reducing usage will help. Most people who hike the AT with a cell phone don't have a solar charger and get by fine.

Over time people make assumptions based on old facts - your exsperiences were possibly based on 1st gen solar panels - I discussed over a year and a half ago here on WB how to build a panel that will charge on ambient light not direct light and tested it... I even posted how to wire.... now I am going to rewire to accept computer cables that come with the devices.

Kyrocera Panel are smaller lighter and because the wires are thinner and closer together they will work in a green mile. Very UL

Time changes everything!

chewing
01-30-2012, 16:06
What's your opinion for hikers who want to be on their own?
If they didn't want to stay at hostels or restaurants that often ... are there enough possibilities to recharge everything (gps logger, ipod, phone) ?
Just worried about not being able to log the entire trail and not phoning home as often as I have to.

Saprogenic
02-26-2012, 11:35
This is what you want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweL_bGP3tY This thing is amazingly great.
Goal Zero Guide 10 Adventure Kit.

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2012, 15:26
Why not use your phone sparingly on the trail and take a couple hours to charge it when you're in town? Keep the calls short and consider texting your journal updates to a site like Postholer so that you can keep all your friends updated in a single stroke instead of communicating with them individually. Also, you already pass through towns frequently to resupply and the charger doesn't weigh much, and external batteries already require charging time and another charger, so I see bringing the cell phone charger as a much better option. Now if you can make the cell phone battery last a few weeks you may want to consider bouncing (mailing) the charger up the trail.

Well yea - you can... and yet my phone has the Trimble Outdoors - Pro Backpacker, I can cut the features off that I am not using like bluetooth, Wifi and leave GPS on and have it run in low power and take photos when needed - A small panel would juice it while it can collect, and charge times are reduced...
So it trickles in when it can or does nothing when it cant... we are talking what 2-3oz? In full sun you don't need to charge at all. On a cloudy day it will collect.
A Nikon Cool Pix can be charged at the beginning of the trail and won't need a second charge for three months. That's trail town... but leave a 1 oz charger at home? no need to bounce box that. Phone batteries with company supplied chargers are 4-6 hours. A second battery again is an ounce. Wow now I have a choice!

paintedstars
03-02-2012, 19:12
I just purchased this solar charger which has a small area that allows it to be attached to a backpack. This is truly the most innovative product I've found. It is a little bit heavy at 24 ounces, but I am willing to sacrifice weight with access to technology to document a journey of a a lifetime.

http://solarjoos.com/products

~paintedstars~

ankaka
03-13-2012, 02:49
Try amazon or ebay they have many good solar charger (http://www.sencart.com/Supply-solar-gadgets_c101?page=1)for your cell phone.

BrianLe
03-13-2012, 11:33
To any aspiring thru-hiker that wants to carry a solar charger on the AT, I say go for it, recognizing however that I've never seen any reports from any that carried it all the way and recommended that approach for others. I admit that my own (PCT-based) solar experience was based on not-current technology, for what that's worth (I used the Solio available in 2008). I'd point out that it's not just the green tunnel effect, but also the "walking most of the day" effect. I.e., don't test in a stationary location and expect to get the same charge as having the thing mounted in some way on your pack.

Please DO report your personal results here afterwards. If at some point someone does a thru-hike, on the AT, carrying a solar charger all the way, and shortly AFTER finishing their trip they recommend that approach to others --- that's the time I might start considering it.

paintedstars
03-16-2012, 20:46
I will be sure to update on here actually while hiking the A.T. with my droid bionic full charged from my joos orange solar charger =)

~paintedstars~
www.nathanielmaloney.com

Shutter
03-20-2012, 11:05
Good luck, chances are you'll be shipping it back home by the time you hit damascus, you're simply not in one sunny spot long enough to get a charge. By the time you stop at the end of the day the sun isn't as powerful as you'd need to charge. You're better off buying an extra battery or two from amazon. Buy the cheap chinese knockoffs. I had 3 batteries for my HTC Evo and never went though all 3 of them. I found a set of 2 for $30.
Tips for longer battery life:
Keep the phone turned off while not using it! You wouldnt' believe how much of a foreign concept this was to some people.
If you're listening to music make sure to keep it on airplane mode.
Airplane mode doesn't use the radios thus doesn't search for signal constantly wasting MASSIVE amounts of battery.
Only turn on your phone when you need it.

I would listen to music for several hours a day while hiking. In airplane mode I could listen to 20 or so hours of music before the battery went dead. Just charge the batteries when you get into town.

If you want to know how long you can listen to music then test it at home. One night make sure your phone is fully charged, put it in airplane mode, unplug your phone, play music through headphones, go to sleep. When you wake up see how much battery is left and do the math. That'll give you a good idea about battery life. Do the same for simply keeping it on airplane mode without music.

Solar chargers are really a waste of weight. The benefit to weight ratio is horrible. You're better off buying an extra battery or two, it will weigh less and you'll get way more battery life out of your phone. Remember, you're not watching movies, making calls, writing e-mails all day out there. You're just using it as a lifeline or maybe music. I carried 3 batteries since I was using it to blog along the way. I'd write posts at night, save them and wait until I had signal on a summit the following day to post.

Good luck, reconsider the solar charger for a multiple battery solution. You're only going 4 days between towns, not 6 months. There are PLENTY of outlets available when you get to town. You'll get a 6th sense as to where to find power outlets while out shopping. Many shop owners are happy to charge your phone while you shop, eat or just lounge around.

GrassyNoel
03-20-2012, 18:34
Please view my backpacking review of the Solio Bolt solar charger HERE. (http://youtu.be/cSY-usjQcgk) It didn't work on a clear day with no leaves. There's just no way it will be worth carrying a solar charger once the leaves are on the trees... As much as I wanted to be electronically self-reliant, it seems that the best way to deal with batteries is to charge it in town every few days. Turn it off or put in in "airplane mode" to save batteries.

Wise Old Owl
03-20-2012, 20:28
To any aspiring thru-hiker that wants to carry a solar charger on the AT, I say go for it, recognizing however that I've never seen any reports from any that carried it all the way and recommended that approach for others. I admit that my own (PCT-based) solar experience was based on not-current technology, for what that's worth (I used the Solio available in 2008). I'd point out that it's not just the green tunnel effect, but also the "walking most of the day" effect. I.e., don't test in a stationary location and expect to get the same charge as having the thing mounted in some way on your pack.

Please DO report your personal results here afterwards. If at some point someone does a thru-hike, on the AT, carrying a solar charger all the way, and shortly AFTER finishing their trip they recommend that approach to others --- that's the time I might start considering it.

Good luck, chances are you'll be shipping it back home by the time you hit damascus, you're simply not in one sunny spot long enough to get a charge. By the time you stop at the end of the day the sun isn't as powerful as you'd need to charge. You're better off buying an extra battery or two from amazon. Buy the cheap chinese knockoffs. I had 3 batteries for my HTC Evo and never went though all 3 of them. I found a set of 2 for $30.
Tips for longer battery life:
Keep the phone turned off while not using it! You wouldnt' believe how much of a foreign concept this was to some people.
If you're listening to music make sure to keep it on airplane mode.
Airplane mode doesn't use the radios thus doesn't search for signal constantly wasting MASSIVE amounts of battery.
Only turn on your phone when you need it.

I would listen to music for several hours a day while hiking. In airplane mode I could listen to 20 or so hours of music before the battery went dead. Just charge the batteries when you get into town.

If you want to know how long you can listen to music then test it at home. One night make sure your phone is fully charged, put it in airplane mode, unplug your phone, play music through headphones, go to sleep. When you wake up see how much battery is left and do the math. That'll give you a good idea about battery life. Do the same for simply keeping it on airplane mode without music.

Solar chargers are really a waste of weight. The benefit to weight ratio is horrible. You're better off buying an extra battery or two, it will weigh less and you'll get way more battery life out of your phone. Remember, you're not watching movies, making calls, writing e-mails all day out there. You're just using it as a lifeline or maybe music. I carried 3 batteries since I was using it to blog along the way. I'd write posts at night, save them and wait until I had signal on a summit the following day to post.

Good luck, reconsider the solar charger for a multiple battery solution. You're only going 4 days between towns, not 6 months. There are PLENTY of outlets available when you get to town. You'll get a 6th sense as to where to find power outlets while out shopping. Many shop owners are happy to charge your phone while you shop, eat or just lounge around.

I have done this too... it works.

Please view my backpacking review of the Solio Bolt solar charger HERE. (http://youtu.be/cSY-usjQcgk) It didn't work on a clear day with no leaves. There's just no way it will be worth carrying a solar charger once the leaves are on the trees... As much as I wanted to be electronically self-reliant, it seems that the best way to deal with batteries is to charge it in town every few days. Turn it off or put in in "airplane mode" to save batteries.

An adjusted reply - Solio is very small and not suited for well for smart phones for todays electronics.... when they came out years ago it was a good run..... Today there are better panels, that have smaller thinner wires that are closer together.... the sunlight can generate better power to charge a battery... Batteries have improved and phones now have apps that control the power.

Brianle my phone is far more than making a call.
My phone has the AT and all other trails -
My phone has MP4 and sat music
My phone is my camera and laptop
My phone is my journal and camera
My phone is my heaven - star chart and meteorites.

Now welcome to Goal Zero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPm2omkyi4

GrassyNoel
03-20-2012, 21:56
Why be so harsh, Wise Old Owl? Who's dwelling on it? Sorry we're not all as all-knowing as you. Do us all a favor and when you get that superior, angry feeling, don't log on. Attitudes like yours are what make boards like this aggravating for people just looking for information, or newer, more unexperienced folks like me. It's hiking, not a competition. I took the damn thing back anyway...

dbs1crew
03-21-2012, 08:21
I was looking into one of these when they become more readily available. You can contact them if you need one by a specific date. If you use a compass, I wouldnt recommend it though lol.

http://www.npowerpeg.com/

Wise Old Owl
03-21-2012, 20:20
GrassyNoel (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?38761-GrassyNoel) you are correct - I get frustrated when after several years of informative posts about solutions to problems written by a wealth of folk her at WB - and yet there are a bunch of folk who put down - doesn't work - waste of time comments. Just because someone had a bad time on the trail with Solio - all solar panels are aweful....

many exspensive panels are too small to do much of anything....the panel has to be a collector and a large one. They do collect on cloudy days and can defray most somewhat discharged phones with one sunny outcrop and an hour at noon... lunch.

Just like a simple post about dogs, causes someone to yell leashes and leave the dog at home.... Good Grief.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/statusicongreen/user-offline.png

paintedstars
03-23-2012, 12:05
Great post Wise One =) Two thumbs up. Technology is ever evolving, they are creating new solar technology as we speak that will be as thin as paper, and collects even more

http://www.pcbdesign007.com/pages/zone.cgi?a=82757&artpg=1

BrianLe
03-24-2012, 16:35
Brianle my phone is far more than making a call.

Ditto. In fact, I wrote the guide to picking a smartphone article for Postholer some time back: http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html
It's not been updated in a while, but I think a lot of the overall ideas and approach are still helpful. In any event, I used my smartphone in a very multi-purpose role on all three thru-hikers I've done to date.

To be clear, I'm not arguing about whether newer technology is (significantly) better. I simply don't know, maybe it is. What I said above, however, makes a lot of sense to me still: I don't suggest that anyone get too eager about using solar on a thru-hike ... and particularly not on a thru-hike of the AT ... unless and until someone completes such a thru-hike using a solar charger and reports afterwards that it was worth while to do so (and not out a stubborn sense of having to be shown to be right, but because they actually did feel it was worth carrying ... !).

I found my Solio to have been marginally worth carrying in Southern California on the PCT, but really even that was questionable because the weight of carrying an extra battery or two plus the time and effort to recharge all batteries during town stops was IMO less than the weight and hassle and fiddle factor of using solar. And that was using the phone as my only camera, internet device (weather reports, email, uploading journal entries), occasional GPS, daily journaling device, infrequent book reader, occasional voice recorder, and I even once in a great while used the phone as a phone.
The solar charger was kind of fun in a way, but in the end I carried it more out a lack of experience coupled with a desire for being free of town stops to recharge. When confronted with a similar situation for the CDT (lots of sunshine in New Mexico in particular), I opted to not bother, and regardless of how much improvement has occurred in solar chargers in very recent years, I still think that I made the right choice.

This is certainly a HYOH thing; I just think that it's helpful when discussing this in the context of a thru-hiker thread to point out that, to my knowledge, no one has through-hiked the AT with a solar charger and then afterwards recommended that anyone else do so. I'd be happy to be shown to be wrong on this, it's not a point of pride or anything, just what I think is a helpful data point for would-be thru-hikers considering this route.

For others --- I'd suggest that a discussion of the benefits of solar for an extended base camp or the like be done in another thread?

kayak karl
03-24-2012, 21:32
This is certainly a HYOH thing; I just think that it's helpful when discussing this in the context of a thru-hiker thread to point out that, to my knowledge, no one has through-hiked the AT with a solar charger and then afterwards recommended that anyone else do so. I'd be happy to be shown to be wrong on this, it's not a point of pride or anything, just what I think is a helpful data point for would-be thru-hikers considering this route.

For others --- I'd suggest that a discussion of the benefits of solar for an extended base camp or the like be done in another thread?
thanks for pointing that out. i was thinking the same as i read through. i use one on the kayak, but that is apples and oranges.
i would like to hear from long distance hikers also on solar.

dornstar
03-28-2012, 23:59
I will be sure to update on here actually while hiking the A.T. with my droid bionic full charged from my joos orange solar charger =)

~paintedstars~
www.nathanielmaloney.com (http://www.nathanielmaloney.com)
How do you like the Joos so far? I am right on the verge of buying one myself.

hoosch
03-29-2012, 19:16
I started off thinking I could buy a solar charger that would work for my upcoming AT thru-hike, but now realize that's not the way to go. I really like the idea dbs1crew suggested - to use a passive kinetic energy charger, but can't justify the cost vs. the charge it provides. So far I like ChillyWilly's suggestion to go with a NewTrent external battery charger. They offer products that seem to be smaller, lighter, and provide more power than others I've looked at (i.e. Brunton). Not only do these devices weigh less and take up less room than solar chargers, but I won't have to mess around trying to get a charge into it and weather won't change the fact that I'll get multiple full charges out of it.

My plan (as of now) is to use my Droid HTC Incredible as my camera and audio journal on the trail, as well as a phone/laptop while in town. I'd rather not have to go to town just to charge my devices (this may change as the weeks of hiking tick by - it may become just the excuse I need to leave the trail!), but instead stay on the trail for longer than 4 or 5 days.

I've used my phone as a camera in the BWCA multiple times, keeping it off until I need it and in airplane mode when it was on, so I'm aware of how quickly my battery drains even when using that technique. Also, I'm in no position to buy a new phone just for this trip (by the time I'm back from my trip I'll be due for a new phone anyway). In addition to this, I'd like to be able to power my GPS (Garmin Oregon 300). This is another reason why buying an extended battery or additional battery for my phone won't solve my issue.

Garmin told me that I can't charge the batteries while they're in the unit (bummer), but I'm wondering if an external battery charger would be able to power (as opposed to charge) my GPS should it run out of batteries on the trail. The GPS power connector is a mini-USB. Has anyone had any experience trying to do this? I've asked NewTrent, but like their website their customer service doesn't seem all that well put together.

BrianLe
03-29-2012, 21:03
"... but I'm wondering if an external battery charger would be able to power (as opposed to charge) my GPS should it run out of batteries on the trail."

Unless you're just really into GPS units and it's a weight "luxury" for you, I think the right answer for an AT thru-hike is to not take a standalone GPS. My smartphone was a fine GPS the couple of times I wanted one when snow was quite deep in Feb/March on my trip.

"I'd rather not have to go to town just to charge my devices (this may change as the weeks of hiking tick by - it may become just the excuse I need to leave the trail!), but instead stay on the trail for longer than 4 or 5 days. "

I suspect that you'll find that if for no other reason you'll want to go into town so as to not have to carry so much food at any one time. Even if you don't stay in town, just have a meal at a diner or fast food place or restaurant and get your phone charged there. One way you can tell a thru-hiker in town these days is that when they go into such a place to eat, they're leaning over and looking under tables as they walk along, trying to find a table next to a wall plug!

hoosch
03-30-2012, 16:40
I've asked NewTrent, but like their website their customer service doesn't seem all that well put together.

I should update this comment. I emailed NewTrent and asked if they could provide me a customer service phone number (they don't list one on their website). They provided me a number and when I called they were very helpful in answering any questions they could. They also explained that they are currently in the middle of revamping their website and apologized for the inaccurate info they have out there. They said they have been replacing older products with newer ones and have some discrepancies as a result. The guy I talked to is going to weigh the units I'm interested in and email me the weights, dimensions, and even updated pictures. I asked for updated weights based on other posts I've seen where the customer said the device weighed more or less than was stated on the website.

paintedstars
04-02-2012, 15:52
How do you like the Joos so far? I am right on the verge of buying one myself.

It's really great and charges even in cloudy overcast conditions. =)

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 21:02
I used a small battery pack made by New Trent that I found on Amazon for my thru. It worked great and held 3-4 charges for my iphone. highly recommend

sdisser
01-26-2013, 17:31
I used a small battery pack made by New Trent that I found on Amazon for my thru. It worked great and held 3-4 charges for my iphone. highly recommend

It looks like you can only charge those using a USB port in a computer, so how did you recharge it? Also, if I'm reading correctly, it takes 8 hours to recharge? I'm guessing something like this would not work for someone like me who is planning on never staying in anything but a tent.

Has anyone had any revelations since the last posts in this thread? I'm trying to figure this out for myself. Thanks!

leaftye
01-26-2013, 18:27
It looks like you can only charge those using a USB port in a computer, so how did you recharge it? Also, if I'm reading correctly, it takes 8 hours to recharge? I'm guessing something like this would not work for someone like me who is planning on never staying in anything but a tent.

Has anyone had any revelations since the last posts in this thread? I'm trying to figure this out for myself. Thanks!

You can get a small wall charger that has a usb charging port. You can get one for less than $2 shipped. I'd give you a link to where I got mine, but the website is down. These chargers can be smaller than those wooden blocks we played with as a child. Get one with at least 1A of output per port or you'll be waiting many hours for your battery to charge. More current is better, but the chargers I've found are much bigger, although some here would probably think they're more than small and light enough. You can charge while you're eating in town. I've heard of folks charging at grocery stores.

Wise Old Owl
01-26-2013, 19:30
I will be carrying the New Trent (http://http//www.newtrent.com/ACD66-dual-USB-6600mAh-iphone-battery-p/acd66.htm) Arcadia Pack ACD66 6600mAh External Battery Pack and Charger. 8 oz with some good reviews.

Here is the update the page expired

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-NT70T-Thunderbolt-Blackberry/dp/B002D4IHYM

Wise Old Owl
01-26-2013, 19:32
You can get a small wall charger that has a usb charging port. You can get one for less than $2 shipped. I'd give you a link to where I got mine, but the website is down. These chargers can be smaller than those wooden blocks we played with as a child. Get one with at least 1A of output per port or you'll be waiting many hours for your battery to charge. More current is better, but the chargers I've found are much bigger, although some here would probably think they're more than small and light enough. You can charge while you're eating in town. I've heard of folks charging at grocery stores.

I agree - old Blackberry chargers are 700 Mah and if you can find higher go for it.

LDog
01-26-2013, 19:54
You can get a small wall charger that has a usb charging port.

One of those little cube-shaped, 5v, 1A Apple wall chargers with a real short USB cable weighs less than 2 ozs. This combo worked for my droid, New Trent battery, and iPod Nano. I carried 2 sets so I could simultaneously charge 2 items.

leaftye
01-26-2013, 19:58

Here's the charger I have from a different vendor, although I've bought things from this place before.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000313/1035301-1000mah-usb-power-adaptercharger-white

I like that the body is barely bigger than the prongs. If it were much smaller, it might be difficult to get enough purchase to unplug it. I've only used it to charge my mp3 player, and I've noticed that it charges it much faster than when using the usb port on my computer. That makes sense since my usb port only puts out half the current of this charger.

Take note that this ships from China, so even though this is one of the fastest Chinese vendors around, it'll still take about a week for shipping. Also, it's almost Chinese New Year's, and shipping will all but cease for a couple weeks soon. At least this vendor seems to always use Hong Kong Post which seems to be a competent courier. The other inexpensive shipper some companies there use is China Post, and they use an asinine, and predictably frustrating, last-in, first-out system.

leaftye
01-26-2013, 20:09
One of those little cube-shaped, 5v, 1A Apple wall chargers with a real short USB cable weighs less than 2 ozs. This combo worked for my droid, New Trent battery, and iPod Nano. I carried 2 sets so I could simultaneously charge 2 items.
Good suggestion for those that already have Apple products. I don't, but that was what I first looked for when I needed a usb wall charger. I had trouble finding one though, so opted for something else.

The one I just provided a link to is a clone of the Apple wall charger. It looks almost exactly the same. I suspect most people would say it literally looks exactly the same. The only visible difference is that the first and last line of the label is different and the internal walls of the usb plug has minor inconsequential differences that I needed a flashlight to see, but the rest is the same including the line breaks. The size is the same down to tenths of a millimeter. The genuine Apple charger weighs 0.810 oz. The clone weighs 0.660 oz.

LDog
01-26-2013, 20:16
Here's the charger I have from a different vendor, although I've bought things from this place before.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000313/1035301-1000mah-usb-power-adaptercharger-white

That's the ticket. Just like the lil Apple wall units. Mine weighs .8 ozs each.

LDog
01-29-2013, 11:25
This thread had me spend some quality time with my charging system. With a droid, an ipod, and a camera, I was carrying spare batteries and a New Trent external battery for extra capacity, a pair of Apple-style chargers, and a universal charger for the camera and phone batteries. The system allowed me to charge nearly everything concurrently, saving time in town. Nearly 12 ozs in all. It kept my stuff going for a 12 day period, but I'm not likely to do that too often ... Looked for excessive capacity and redundancies, and chopped 5 ozs.

http://www.laughingdog.com/2013/01/rethinking-my-pack-charging-system.html

The point in all this, is that the universal charger has moveable pins that allow it to be used for a variety of batteries. It's lighter than the charger that came with my camera, plus it has a USB out that can be used to charge phones, iPods, etc. Paired with a USB cable, its a one-man-band. If yer crazy enough to carry a smart phone *and* a camera, it might worth looking at.

leaftye
01-29-2013, 11:45
I've used a charger like that for the past year because the charging/usb port on my phone is broken. The output on mine is 600 mA, so it doesn't charge things quickly. It probably splits the current when both parts of the charger are used.

Those exposed pins should also make it possible to use this with magnetic leads to charge lithium ion batteries like the 18650 used in a Zebralight H600.

It should be lighter and nearly as quick to use this (https://tindie.com/shops/Rager/liponano-1/) with the Apple-style charger (http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000313/1035301-1000mah-usb-power-adaptercharger-white) and leads that have magnetic alligator clips. This would give the versatility to charge any lithium ion battery.

leaftye
01-31-2013, 11:15
If you liked the 1A Apple charger or the <$2 clone I mentioned earlier, you might like this 1.5A (7.5 watts) version even more.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1235601

It's a little more expensive at $2.65.

leaftye
02-14-2013, 14:18
I have to revoke my previous recommendation for the Apple-clone charger. The review below tested the 240V european plug version, but the US plug version is probably just as unsafe. It doesn't put out the 1A it says it does either.

Fortunately the review found a few good chargers.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/18731