PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Trekking Poles

Capt Chaos
02-03-2005, 22:04
Hey everyone, walmart carries trekking poles. I think they are made by Swiss. They look a bit heavy, but they may work. They are only $10 a pole.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2005, 22:06
You get what you pay for there Capt. Nohike. :)

neo
02-03-2005, 23:03
i saw them trekking poles at walmart for 10.00 bucks each,i will stick to my leki,s
i agree with lone wolf ya get what ya pay for:sun neo

One Leg
02-04-2005, 01:07
Flash Hand had a set of those poles during our hike together last year, and they broke very easily. Did I say broke? Shattered was more like it. I echo the saying that 'you get what you pay for'. And, much to LW's sorrow, I do like my Leki's (But I love your Leki sticker, LW~!)

Lone Wolf
02-04-2005, 05:55
I've got an extra one or two of those stickers laying around if you want one for your Nalgene. :)

Jaybird
02-04-2005, 07:53
i'll stick with my LEKI SUPER Makalu poles!

(which are rated "BEST All Around" by March 2005 BACKPACKER magazine)

Pringles
02-04-2005, 08:35
If you get what you pay for, then the $10 hiking stick (mostly stripped of bark, complete with some kind of finish and a leather shoe-string strap for your hand), that is next to the $10 hiking poles at my Walmart, ought to be MUCH better than the free ones I've used. :p

Pringles

LIhikers
02-04-2005, 09:28
Folks,

You pay for what you get, but you don't always get what you pay for.

hikerjohnd
02-04-2005, 10:51
I've got an extra one or two of those stickers laying around if you want one for your Nalgene. :)
Sticker - I am collecting hiking related stickers for a museum type exhibit... would pay!

Mags
02-04-2005, 11:15
I've used $10 ski poles for a while now. ($10 for the pair, mind you!). The first pair lasted for the whole PCT and other hiking (about 3000 miles or so) before the tips were worn down (they did not shatter or bend, in other words), and I am on my second pair now. I use them for snowshoeing in the winter, too.

The only disadvantage is that they can not collapse for traveling, but I found these poles collapse at the most incovenient time!

My poles at the end of the life span:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/ank

bondboy
02-04-2005, 11:20
gave my wife a pair for christmas.....the locking mechanism works better than my Lekis...they are heavier, and you can't beat the Leki guarantee...depends on how you are going to use them.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 11:24
My poles at the end of the life span:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/ank==============================
Man ...that's great mileage out of a pair of sticks. I barely got one pair all the way to Katahdin (REI - Komperdells). Tips fell off and had to be super glued on. The sections froze and couldn't be adjusted. I was able to get the sections unfrozen with a pair of vise-grips but I think that pair is destined for a spot over the mantle and will never see the trail again.

With the exception of adjustability ...maybe there is something to be said for cheap, durable one-piece poles.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
02-04-2005, 11:26
hikerjohnd, the sticker says:

****** You And Your
******in Leki Poles

Still want one? :)

Mags
02-04-2005, 12:22
hikerjohnd, the sticker says:

****** You And Your
******in Leki Poles

Still want one? :)

That fits my philosophy for gear! :) Where can I get one!

Mags
02-04-2005, 12:25
==============================

With the exception of adjustability ...maybe there is something to be said for cheap, durable one-piece poles.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Yep. Not too shabby. If I had replaced the ski tip, I'd probably still have them. Assume an average pair of Leki's is about $100, I could buy 10 pairs of ski poles and hike about 30000 miles for that money! For people like Baltimore Jack and Lone Wolf that would actually work out. For a mere mortal like me (only 6000 miles or so now), that should be plenty! :)

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 12:30
For a mere mortal like me (only 6000 miles or so now), that should be plenty! :)=======================================
Guess I'm in the "Mere Mortal" club too ...

'Slogger