PDA

View Full Version : august hike in the whites

hikerboy57
06-24-2011, 15:03
Ive got off from august 14-21, was thinking about doing a loop in the pemi. I can probably stay out 6 nights. I was thinking franconia ridge to franconia brook trail down and across up the Bonds and out thru ethan pond, crawford notch. Ive sectioned all the AT in NH, and as Im driving up from nY, would prefer a loop. anyone have any other suggestions?hows the east side of Carter Notch(to Evans)?

House of Payne
06-24-2011, 16:27
I've done portions of some of the ones you've named, but they were all in 3-day loops. I used to AMC shuttle to make the loops complete, sometimes parking at the Highlands Center or Pinkham Notch. Both have showers when you get off if interested. Good luck

hikerboy57
06-24-2011, 16:40
I've done portions of some of the ones you've named, but they were all in 3-day loops. I used to AMC shuttle to make the loops complete, sometimes parking at the Highlands Center or Pinkham Notch. Both have showers when you get off if interested. Good luckive done franconia to crawford 4 times, but Im trying to stretch 3 days to 6 and I really prefer to keep moving rather than stay in any one place for more than a night, so Im looking for interesting loop suggetions, either in the pemi or elsewhere.

jod
06-24-2011, 17:11
Search around http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/ They're dedicated white mt nuts. lots of information there. the search function works well.

AMC runs shuttles from Lafayette campground to Pinkham notch. if you go to www.outdoors.org (http://www.outdoors.org) you can find the route and approximate times.

House of Payne
06-24-2011, 20:43
ive done franconia to crawford 4 times, but Im trying to stretch 3 days to 6 and I really prefer to keep moving rather than stay in any one place for more than a night, so Im looking for interesting loop suggetions, either in the pemi or elsewhere.

I have the maps in front of me now. Trying to stretch out 5 maybe 6 nights. Starting at Lafayette (rt 93) CG, mt liberty, mt flume, wilderness tr, thoreau falls to AT (ethan pond), create a loop on the northeast side of crawford notch and return on parts of AT (northern sections of the Pemi) on Garfield ridge. 5 minutes of map reading, hope it helps....good luck!

kayak karl
06-24-2011, 22:01
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=2033&sid=74179adddb035bf9d1bb93a4f0f7687e

i didn't have time to read it all, but looks interesting.

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 07:43
I was thinking start out at liberty springs over to garfield, come down franconia brook trail stay at 13 falls, down to the wilderness trail, up bondcliff stay at guyot, over to zealand falls down thoreau falls poss to nancy pond or loop back to franconia brook campsite and out the next day?

House of Payne
06-25-2011, 08:43
I was thinking start out at liberty springs over to garfield, come down franconia brook trail stay at 13 falls, down to the wilderness trail, up bondcliff stay at guyot, over to zealand falls down thoreau falls poss to nancy pond or loop back to franconia brook campsite and out the next day?

are u going to get the amount of days in with that trip? Not sure what kind of mileage your planning on

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 09:27
are u going to get the amount of days in with that trip? Not sure what kind of mileage your planning onThats what Im tryiong to figure out, how I can stretch it and still feel Im challenging myself. Ive hiked the Whites for many years, and Ive done most of the difficult trails. Ive never domne the bonds, and Id like to knock that off the 4k tick list, but not sure what to do to stretch my trip.Id like to do caribou/speckled wilderness, but its not enough distance. I can do 15-20 mi on flats, above treeline Im closer to 10 mi/day. My other thought was to use Pinkham as a base camp and do a few loops from Appalachia up to adams and madison.

House of Payne
06-25-2011, 09:57
Thats what Im tryiong to figure out, how I can stretch it and still feel Im challenging myself. Ive hiked the Whites for many years, and Ive done most of the difficult trails. Ive never domne the bonds, and Id like to knock that off the 4k tick list, but not sure what to do to stretch my trip.Id like to do caribou/speckled wilderness, but its not enough distance. I can do 15-20 mi on flats, above treeline Im closer to 10 mi/day. My other thought was to use Pinkham as a base camp and do a few loops from Appalachia up to adams and madison.

I like the idea of Pinkham as the base, so much goes in and out of there. You could actually get two good size loops out of that if you wanted.

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 10:04
I like the idea of Pinkham as the base, so much goes in and out of there. You could actually get two good size loops out of that if you wanted.The first time I stepped on the AT in 1976, I did franconia to garfield and down franconia brook trail, stayed at desolation shelter at stillwell junction(no longer there).and I'ver never been back to the Pemi. But I think you're right . Pinkham is probably a better option, and there are so many variations available out of Appalachia(pronounced app-a- latch-ya)., it might be more of what I need. Im sectionning from Springer to DWG next March, and this will probably be my last shakedown.
thanks for your help.

House of Payne
06-25-2011, 10:15
Im sectionning from Springer to DWG next March, and this will probably be my last shakedown.
thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with your shakedown, would like to hear about it when you get back. I'll be in the whites this weekend with my wife and 2 dogs, camping only. I'll be in harts locations for 4 days. I am going to do some scouting while I'm up there, stopping in at Pinkham and chatting it up a bit and maybe take a short walk to the cascades.

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 10:21
Good luck with your shakedown, would like to hear about it when you get back. I'll be in the whites this weekend with my wife and 2 dogs, camping only. I'll be in harts locations for 4 days. I am going to do some scouting while I'm up there, stopping in at Pinkham and chatting it up a bit and maybe take a short walk to the cascades.[/QUOTE]
enjoy! thanks again for your help.

Chaco Taco
06-28-2011, 10:56
Could always do the AT Bondcliff thoreau zig zig to Ethan Pond. The good thing about this section is that its just a big criss cross over Pemi. We are doing the Lincoln Woods, Bond, AT SOBO back to Lincoln Woods at the end of July. The good thing is that if the weather turns we can just double back on the Franconia Brook Trail.

hikerboy57
06-28-2011, 11:34
Could always do the AT Bondcliff thoreau zig zig to Ethan Pond. The good thing about this section is that its just a big criss cross over Pemi. We are doing the Lincoln Woods, Bond, AT SOBO back to Lincoln Woods at the end of July. The good thing is that if the weather turns we can just double back on the Franconia Brook Trail.Have you camped in the Pemi oustdie of the authorized sites?thats the only prob Im having with my trip, If I stay only at the established sites, Im making crazy miles one day and 3 miles the next.Ive never camped in the Pemi itself, so I wonder about availability of sutable sites.

Chaco Taco
06-29-2011, 15:10
No I have not, just moved up here. Id keep searching to find out just incase its strict if you get caught. Good luck