PDA

View Full Version : First Tarp Pitches

LDog
06-24-2011, 18:18
Spent a few hours playing with an ID SilTarp and posted a few picks at:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=30691

Looks to me like I need to employ at least a couple more stakes in some of these. Drop by if'n you want and provide some criticism.

Dogwood
06-24-2011, 20:40
You are getting there Chilly! If I'm remember correctly, ID SilTarp has like a zillion tieouts(16 or so)and DOES NOT have a catenary curve so you have MANY tarp set-up options. After reviewing your tarp pics, I notice your configurations mostly require a belly crawl to get under the erected tarp. Try this one, which you might find a bit more convenient offering a possibly wee bit faster set-up and more head room without the need for the crawl. In protected locations NOT under STRONG stormy weather use an A-frame configuation attaching the tie-out at the ridge entrance of your shelter to a tree, rock, fence post, fully extended trekking pole in a rather higher A-frame configuartion. That would give more headroom, but will probably not allow the sides to be staked all the way to the ground. It is a rather breathable set-up for hot weather. This set-up will catch more wind though and probably NOT be as protective under FULL STORM conditions or in strong blowing rain.

Dogwood
06-24-2011, 20:42
Oh yeah. Check out how SMD sets up their Lunar with trekking poles. It's similar to your pic posted here.

LDog
06-24-2011, 20:57
In protected locations NOT under STRONG stormy weather use an A-frame configuation attaching the tie-out at the ridge entrance of your shelter to a tree, rock, fence post, fully extended trekking pole in a rather higher A-frame configuartion. That would give more headroom, but will probably not allow the sides to be staked all the way to the ground. It is a rather breathable set-up for hot weather. This set-up will catch more wind though and probably NOT be as protective under FULL STORM conditions or in strong blowing rain.

Thanks. I'll give that one a try. Would be a nice way to get out of the sun.

LDog
06-24-2011, 21:00
Oh yeah. Check out how SMD sets up their Lunar with trekking poles. It's similar to your pic posted here.

Yeah! If only the rectangular ID SilTarp had the ability to close up into nice vestibules like the Lunar ... Of course it's a might cheaper!

HiKen2011
06-24-2011, 21:12
Spent a few hours playing with an ID SilTarp and posted a few picks at:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=30691

Looks to me like I need to employ at least a couple more stakes in some of these. Drop by if'n you want and provide some criticism.

Not bad! But get that brush off that trailer!:sun

Dogwood
06-24-2011, 21:22
Chilly, I think, if you catch the wind just right you don't need to hike the AT. You could be the first to hang glide the AT! Oh no! I just opened the door to someone having the idea to hang glide and forage their way up the AT!

LDog
06-24-2011, 21:40
Not bad! But get that brush off that trailer!:sun

Yeah, yeah, jeesh ... I have so much brush to deal with. Just waiting for a calm, rainless day to burn ...

ScottP
06-24-2011, 22:13
Looks like a good start. I use a version of your #2 pretty much all the time with very good results

I pitch the long sides about 2-4 inches off the ground. I put some loops of triptease or something along those lines on every tieout (I think my tarp has 5 per side). The loops towards the middle are short (2" or so) and the loops towards the ends are a little longer (4") or so. When you stake everything out this will compensate for the sag/stretch in a flat tarp (keeping all the fabric taut), as well as give it a 'saddle' shape that will help shed water.

I try to tie one side off to a tree if possible--it just makes the setup a little faster and easier, plus the tree will probably help moderate temperature, rain, wind, etc. If you tie the side including the integrated stuff sack to the tree, it's really easy to pack the tarp up even in high winds.

For reference, I hike solo with a 6x10 flat tarp or duo with a 8x10. I could save weight with a smaller one, but I have a down bag that is made out of just lightweight nylon that can't shed water, so I'm not comfortable reducing my tarp margin of error.

Hope the above is helpful

LDog
06-24-2011, 22:19
Great tips. Thanks Scott!

Jim Adams
06-25-2011, 00:43
Hell with the brush...what make canoe is that?

geek

LDog
06-25-2011, 09:57
Hell with the brush...what make canoe is that?

That's an Old Town Discovery 146 my siblings and I originally bought for our folks as an anniversary present. They liked to go "canoodling" on Burt Lake. Dad loved to run the rivers up there.