PDA

View Full Version : Best suppliers, for price and customer service?

TheRaven
06-25-2011, 09:59
I'm new to the hiking world, yeah I've hiked before...but not the way many of you guys/gals do. I used to see a mountain, grab the topo and a thrift store day pack, drive as close as possible and summit it....even if it was only 2-3k feet. The idea of trails is great and much easier.

In any case, what are the best suppliers? Campmor used to be my goto place, but everyone seems to love REI. Why is REI good? I can't see any benefit over others on the surface. Locally I have many outdoor suppliers, but not sure if there and better options online.

ScottP
06-25-2011, 11:02
REI has a large variety of items, great customer service, a rewards program, etc. The only downside to REI is that they don't carry a lot of the smaller manufacturers that often make the best gear out there.

Retailers with good customer service: Zappos, REI, all of the outfitters on the AT in the South

manufacturers with good customer service: OR gear, Zpacks, ULA, leki, Sea to Summit, Nunutak

Manufacturers with bad customer service: six moons designs--the only bad customer service experience I've had in the outdoor industry, one of the ruder customer service experiences I've ever had.

Chubbs4U
06-25-2011, 11:15
REI takes anything back at anytime for any reason.

wcgornto
06-25-2011, 11:29
My customer service experience with six moon designs has been GREAT.

During my SOBO thru hike, the stitching began to come loose on my pack at one of the load lifters. A hole began to develop as the thread came loose. It was clear that this condition would continue to worsen and it would be problematic if the stitching became completely unraveled at this point. I called six moon designs to discuss a repair. They sent me a loaner pack a week or so up the trail. I returned my pack to them in the same box and continued hiking while the seam on my pack was being repaired and reinforced. Once the repair was made, they mailed my pack to another point further ahead on the trail and I sent the loaner back when I received my repaired pack.

The repaired seam remains strong and I completed my thru hike without incident. Because of the efficient availability of the loaner pack and the courteous way that the matter was handled, I didn't miss any time on the trail awaiting repairs. For me, this was SUPERB customer service. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

royalusa
06-25-2011, 11:36
+1 on the USA cottage industries that we have experience with:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/
http://gossamergear.com/
http://zpacks.com/

We’ve done business with REI as well and as mentioned above have great customer service, though most of their gear no longer suits our needs, thus the reason we use a lot of the cottage industries, who are generally owned by hikers with a ton of experience - thru-hikers and sometimes triple crowners.

TheRaven
06-25-2011, 12:01
Well, I just got an REI membership. It seems worth it. The cottage gear looks really cool, but pricy. Not that it is a bad thing, It is probably made well and you get what you pay for. I just need basic stuff that works right now.

Fiddleback
06-25-2011, 12:15
I like REI but Campmor has been my go to since the 80's. When looking for an item it's the first place I check; for availability, options and alternatives, and price. Their shipping is about as good as it gets other than REI's free shipping to store and occasional free shipping for members. Campmor's return/exchange service was excellent the two times I used it.

I visit REI for boots, and go REI online for bear spray, knick knacks and sales.

FB

royalusa
06-25-2011, 13:51
The cottage gear looks really cool, but pricy. Not that it is a bad thing, It is probably made well and you get what you pay for. I just need basic stuff that works right now.

Cottage industries are not always pricy, as compared to the big chain stores. Just did a really quick comparison. REI sells a 4200 cu in Osprey Aether 70 Pack which weighs 5 pounds for $259. ULA-Equipment.com has 4200 cu in Circuit pack which weighs 2 pounds for $200. My point being keep your mind open and investigate cottage industries before making purchases at big chain stores. In this example, it was $59 cheaper and 3 pounds lighter. But again, I only looked at one pack from REI and then found a similar size pack on ULA. I'm sure there are other comparisons that weigh in the favor of the big chain stores. I think you'll find that you'll need a mixture of stores to find everything that really fits your needs.

garlic08
06-25-2011, 13:55
I usually check Campmor first for standard stuff, then REI, so not much change there. One change that has occurred in the last decade or so is the cottage industry that has sprung up for ultra-light equipment. I patronize Tarptent and Gossamer Gear often. I hear nothing but good things about ULA, Z-packs, Lightheart. Most hikers seem to have a favorite and a non-favorite. Gear selection is very personal based on experience and usage.

The adventure racing world also has its cottage industry and some of that gear is usable for hiking. I found a great deal on an aluminum ice axe that never would have been made if not for adventure racing.

skinewmexico
06-25-2011, 13:56
REI blows. So you pay more to take crap back that you shouldn't have bought in the first place. The other great thing about cottage manufacturers is that you are, for the most part, supporting US jobs, and US workers. If you insist on sending your money to the Far East, there is always Campmor, Altrec, Backcountry, Campsaver, Moontrail, Pro Lite Gear, Sunnysports, and about a million more.

Jay_NJ
06-25-2011, 15:17
I don't think REI "blows". I live fairly close to a rei and can bring back an item I used for 6 months and they will still take it back no questions asked. For items like a steripen or even a filter that you may regret purchasing, the painless return policy makes it extremely convenient.

As for the cottage industries, I have dealt with Z-packs several times and find Joe Valesko to be be extremely good at running the rounds of customer service as well as producing quality products. I've also found Lawson Outdoor Equipment to be a very reputable and friendly cottage manufacturer.

dillard
06-25-2011, 15:41
I really like Moosejaw for getting gear. They carry most anything your looking for, they have great prices, excellent customer service, fast processing/shipping, rewards programs, and bulk buying discounts. They have a good return policy too but I have not had to take advantage of it thus far.

TheRaven
06-25-2011, 15:45
I really hate shipping costs and they are getting worse day to day. Funny Ospreys should be mentioned. I like buying gear, and I like quality. I also like to buy quality gear from established companies that honor their product that was manufactured 20 years or 2 days ago. I''ve used Osprey before with the travel packs, and like them. That being said, I could care less about buying USA, some of the best item's I've owned have been built overseas and some of the worst have said USA on them. It's all in quality and I buy quality no matter who built it or where. A made in USA tag won't keep me warm and dry unless it's made well and out of a suitable material.

dloome
06-26-2011, 01:19
I like Campmor. They have pretty much everything, including lots of those somewhat lower-end but still functional items like cheap but good clothing. They're familiar with the thru-hiking crowd and have shipped things to me general delivery or with weird notes, etc. on the box no problem. Good customer service. Campmor is the only gear shop number I keep on my little cheat-sheet of contacts I have with me on long treks.

REI is a little ritzy for me some of the time, but their return policy is pretty incredible and if you're a member you get better deals.

Wags
06-26-2011, 01:28
backcountry.com

best store for clothes and such. they price match and ship free over $50. their online chat is always active and the people typing actually have a clue. great CS from them every single time...

for big ticket items i like the cottage guys.

skinewmexico
06-26-2011, 02:02
Wow. After that little quality speech, you should buy a McHale.

Tuckahoe
06-26-2011, 09:01
I never understand the "pricey" remarks regarding so called cottage manufactures. I chalk it up to folks not understanding what it takes to run a small manufacturing operation, making limited market items often as a one or two man operation. On the other hand, compare the price and specifications of the Lightheart Gear Solo Tent to that of a popular tent such as MSR's Hubba and I think we'd all agree that the cottage industry tent is right in line with the market.

And as for supporting American jobs and business by buying from cottage industries, there are atleast a few of those American cottage industry companies that have farmed out atleast some of their production to overseas manufacturers.

Elder
06-26-2011, 09:17
What about the Mom & Pop's? Trailside shops?
They are usually Hikers, Climbers and/or Paddlers...who got into the business because they love it.
They bring personal knowledge..local knowledge, and experience.
Big Boxes do not have the personal touch..or rarely.

C'mon people..some Love for your local shop!

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 10:27
What about the Mom & Pop's? Trailside shops?
They are usually Hikers, Climbers and/or Paddlers...who got into the business because they love it.
They bring personal knowledge..local knowledge, and experience.
Big Boxes do not have the personal touch..or rarely.

I agree I will buy locally and from cottage if they are comparably priced. Again quality and function is paramount. Sometimes local shops are a PITA. I know in the motorcycle world you walk into a local shop, ask for something specific they say no....but we can order it for you. Um, so can I, and at a better price. I wish there was a directory of the cottages. I do know I will probably be buying some poles from a cottage place as they MUST be super light. I guess if there is a specialty product I need I will look around...but for the basics REI will be the goto for ease....that or Ebay :)

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 10:30
Wow. After that little quality speech, you should buy a McHale.

Nice...I guess if hiking was my only hobby I would. Nice packs.

dillard
06-26-2011, 11:48

Living in Florida the local shops are almost nil for anything that isn't fishing related. Otherwise I would definitely rather support local biz than the chain stores.

royalusa
06-26-2011, 11:55
Living in Florida the local shops are almost nil for anything that isn't fishing related. Otherwise I would definitely rather support local biz than the chain stores.

Are you near Palm Bay FL, home of the ZPACKS.com cottage industry?

dillard
06-26-2011, 11:56
About an hour away, though I had no idea that's where z-packs came from.

Kerosene
06-26-2011, 17:26
I've got almost everything I really need for solo backpacking, so at this point I just try to stay away. When my self-control fails, I visit Gossamer Gear, ULA-Equipment, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, and Granite Gear. I've been an REI member since 1974, which I've used to periodically to purchase stuff for my family which I can exchange if need be. Backcountrygear.com and Montbell tend to have a nice selection of equipment also. And then there's Z-packs and Zelph's Stoveworks...

gtg
06-26-2011, 17:52
I know few of the people on here are from the Midwest, but i certainly need to give a shout out for Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis MN.

I work in sales and have a great appreciation for customer service. I have to say in no other area of retail is there better customer service to be found than outdoor outfitters. That includes the chains like REI as well as the indie outfitters. There seems to be a certain degree of ethics as far as offering customer service, providing, great insight into product as well as proper product selection, that is very prevalent in the outdoor outfitter retail world that isnt always the case in other areas of retail were the focus just seems to be to make the sale. As I said this seems prevalent through out but I did find that Midwest Mountaineering just goes that extra step further and really amazes me at just what a quality business they are.

I have also got to say the customer service and quality of products found in the cottage industries for the outdoor outfitter is nothing short of incredible. I most recently experienced this from ULA and Minibull Design, but those are just two of many outstanding cottage businesses to be found in the outdoor outfitter world.
I think there is such a thing as carma in this area and we are so lucky to have so many outstanding outfitters rather cottage or other wise and they deserve our support.

As far as Ravens comments about wishing for a list of cottage industries I have found that one place, all though i am sure there are others is Sticks blog has a nice list. ALso it seems that often cottage retailers will list or link to others or if you just ask them they will tell you were to get things.

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 19:06
I'm glad to hear there are so many good suppliers. I guess it's a matter of asking when I need something...for the best suggestions.

I guess as this IS in the gear section.....I want a strong, lightweight adjustable trekking pole set. I've also been looking at hammocks, but the hammock site is way overwhelming on choice. Any suggestions?

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 19:07
Forgot to mention...I am interested in an inflatable pad that will resist punctures from restless Cairn terriers in the middle of the night. I would love the Neo-air Trekker.

Wags
06-27-2011, 02:03
recommend you get your hammock from here:

www.warbonnetoutdoors.com (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com)