PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing Elastic

pvtmorriscsa
02-04-2005, 01:26
Howdy All,
I just finished sewing up a set of gaiters for my upcoming hike. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on seam sealing the elastic. I was planning to use seam grip, but I thought that if I did I might lose some of the elasticity. Anyone else run in to this problem?
Rob

The Will
02-04-2005, 12:04
Howdy All,
I just finished sewing up a set of gaiters for my upcoming hike. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on seam sealing the elastic. I was planning to use seam grip, but I thought that if I did I might lose some of the elasticity. Anyone else run in to this problem?
Rob
Seam Grip has an amazing amount of flexiblity. I had a tube go completely dry on me. I peeled off the aluminum tube so I could play with the remaining tube-shaped piece of solid, dry Seam Grip. I was able to flex this piece, double it over on itself without it cracking or breaking or becoming disfigured any any way.

But as far as more dynamic compliace and elasticity, as you would find in a rubber band or the elastic portion of your garment, the Seam Grip would--I think--reduce this to the extant that those properties would no longer be functional.

Youngblood
02-04-2005, 15:22
I'm puzzled... seam sealing elastic? I don't understand how elastic would be waterproof and therefore don't understand seam sealing it. What am I messing?

Is it elastic cuffs or waistband? If so would you not just seal seam the thread on the fabric side and not worry with the elastic?

Youngblood

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 15:41
Howdy All,
Rob=====================================
I used a spray on product called Techtron. It's a durable water repellant (DWR) product sold at REI. Worked well with no loss in elasticity. Kept a small can in my bounce box and re-applied it 3 - 4 times during my thru-hike in 2003

'Slogger
AT 2003