PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Hiker Services Sought

Lauriep
06-25-2011, 20:45
I'm looking for photos of hiker services along the A.T. to use in a slide show for a workshop about what services A.T. hikers are looking for at ATC's biennial conference next weekend. I need the photo by Wednesday (June 29).

The most helpful would be photos of services that could be fairly easily (or inexpensively) replicated somewhere else. Even a photo of a simple sign or little touches that conveyed a place was "hiker-friendly" would be great.

Please email any photos you would be willing to share to me at [email protected].

Thanks in advance

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

snorz
06-26-2011, 09:29
It sure will not list :joe to go: in NJ!

wcgornto
06-26-2011, 11:47
I had a good and tasty breakfast sandwich at Joe to Go. If you are polite, courteous and respectful of the requirement to leave your pack outside, then the service at Joe to Go is fine.

Jeff
06-26-2011, 13:25
The local EMS Outfitter in Manchester, VT allows hikers to stash their backpacks at the store while shopping in town. It's nice not to lug a heavy, smelly pack into restaurants and grocery stores. I will take a photo and email it to you.

Lauriep
06-26-2011, 14:02
Sounds like a very useful shot for the presentation, Jeff--many thanks in advance!!

Chomp09
06-26-2011, 14:06
The local EMS Outfitter in Manchester, VT allows hikers to stash their backpacks at the store while shopping in town. It's nice not to lug a heavy, smelly pack into restaurants and grocery stores. I will take a photo and email it to you.

Has their policy changed Jeff? When we came south in '09 we were told in no uncertain terms to leave our packs out on the sidewalk. We politely explained that we were uncomfortable with that idea and requested to put them in the corner, inside and out of the way while we shopped (in their store) and were told tough luck. It definitely did not seem hiker friendly during our visit. Hopefully they've reconsidered this position...

Chomp09
06-26-2011, 14:09
Has their policy changed Jeff? When we came south in '09 we were told in no uncertain terms to leave our packs out on the sidewalk. We politely explained that we were uncomfortable with that idea and requested to put them in the corner, inside and out of the way while we shopped (in their store) and were told tough luck. It definitely did not seem hiker friendly during our visit. Hopefully they've reconsidered this position...

I should have added that we had a fantastic experience with the local outfitter in town, I believe it was called the Mountain Goat? They not only allowed us to leave our packs in their back room, they offered up the option so we could not only shop in their store, but go and have breakfast/explore town/etc.