PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian?

moocow
06-26-2011, 06:03
Is it possible to go vegetarian on the trail? What is it that makes pepperoni, salami, tuna, etc staples? The protein? Are there non-meat alternatives?

garlic08
06-26-2011, 08:24
Welcome to Whiteblaze. You can try the "search" function on this forum--there have been plenty of discussions on diet options, including vegan and vegetarian. I'm a non-meat-eating hiker. Cheese, peanut butter, legumes, tree nuts, seeds, whole grains, and hard-boiled eggs are my choice for trail protein. It's easy to get enough protein in your diet if you don't subsist on candy bars and honey buns.

Many vegetarian hikers feel they have to supply themselves with maildrops for the AT, but I was able to do it easily buying along the way. I could always find rolled oats, nuts, cheese, and peanut butter in the smallest grocery stores.

d.o.c
06-26-2011, 08:55
it just seems to be easier to bring those meat products for they do not spoil fast and are usualy precookd all you gotta do is open heat and eat... just take your time in the store and the vegetarian diet is easy to create. its not much diffrent than a vegetarian in town diet. just depends on what your willin to eat and carry.

slightlyparanoid
07-01-2011, 16:14
Is it possible to go vegetarian on the trail? What is it that makes pepperoni, salami, tuna, etc staples? The protein? Are there non-meat alternatives?

Hey man, I really like www.EmergencyDehydratedFood.com Their food is a great source of protein, is really inexpensive, totally vegetarian (Kosher too), and most importantly tastes great!

Papa D
07-02-2011, 23:09
I've been doing it for 26 years.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 02:40
If you want to P/M me, I have a pretty healthful vegetarian meal-plan that is light, fuel conscious, and for the most part obtainable in most places you would shop on the trail - I do still like the occasional mail drop for my Primal Strips. :)

Mother Natures Son
07-04-2011, 06:45
Don't get stuck on one type of food group for vegetarian. Some may go back to old standbys such as mac and cheese, ramen or other backpacking staples. My advice is read, and do lots of research before you hit the trail.