PDA

View Full Version : Hiking from Mount Mitchell to Mount Rogers

alcole56
06-26-2011, 10:40
Does anyone know anything about doing this?

I have never hiked on the Appalachian Trail but have become interested in climbing Mount Mitchell and Mount Rogers and thought hiking from one to the other would be fun.

Mount Rogers seems to be right on the trail but my concern is whether there is a trail that will take me from Mount Mitchell to the Appalachian Trail in order to move north to Mount Rogers.

Has anyone done this or at least hiked from Mount Mitchell to the AT?

Thanks!

Big Dawg
06-26-2011, 11:11
Good question. I tried to Google this w/ no luck. I'm sure trails link up to complete the journey, but probably in more of a zigzag pattern. I've always wondered about the same question, only from Max Patch on the AT to Mt.Mitchell, having been on both summits peering to the other.

I've also wondered why the AT didn't go across the top of Mt. Mitchell, considering it's the tallest peak in the eastern US.

ScottP
06-26-2011, 11:20
I think you can connect the Mountains to Sea trail to the AT in the smokies and then hike up to Mt. Rodgers. Would be a great trip!

Dogwood
06-26-2011, 14:18
I'm fairly positive there is a trail between the AT and Mt Mitchell. Don't remember the name of it though. I thought I saw it on a map and/or read about it somewhere, maybe in the AT thru-hiker's handbook. Mt Rogers is right off ther AT near Grayson Highlands. I think it's doable. Good luck. I like the way you're thinking outside of the typical hiking box!

Grits
06-26-2011, 15:05
Scott is correct the only trail that connects the AT to Mt. Mitchell is to take the Mtns to Sea trail west to Clingmans Dome then North on the AT. If you went along the Black Mountain Crest Trail (13 miles and 7000 ft of elevation Change) it would take you to Burnsville then walk or hitch a ride up 19W to Spivey Gap and connect there. If you followed the Mtns To Sea Trail east from Mt Mitchell to Boone then its an hour drive either to Damascus or Mt Rogers area.

restless
06-26-2011, 15:10
As has been previously stated, the only way to do a strictly Mt. Mitchell to Mt. Rogers trail hike would entail hiking south on the MST to the Smokies than hiking N on the AT. Another solution is to hike to the Linville Gorge area, hike the gorger trail to the north end of Linville on the Kistler Memorial Highway (gravel, so far as I know) to the Blue Ridge Parkway to NC181 and US 19E thru Pineola, Newland and Elk Park, picking the AT up at the 19E road crossing. There are numerous options taking in roadwalks, including one that come up to Carvers Gap from the Northern terminus of the Black Mountain Crest Trail. But short of going to the smokies I know of no thru trail that will allow you to do what you want.

WingedMonkey
06-26-2011, 15:56
I've also wondered why the AT didn't go across the top of Mt. Mitchell, considering it's the tallest peak in the eastern US.

Mt Mitchell was originally considered as the southern terminus of the AT. (MacKaye's "The Appalachian Trail - A Project in Regional Planning"). A plan to split the trail with one going to Mitchell and one going to Mt. Oglethorpe was also considered at one time.
Horace Kephart, George Masa, and Paul Fink who were instrumental in the creation of GSMNP pushed for that route and worked to create trails to Georgia.
Kephart served on the AT board of Managers and Masa took his place after he was killed in a car crash in 1931.

Tennessee Viking
06-27-2011, 10:32
Alcole, go by Great Outdoor Provisions or REI, and pick up NatGeo Maps MtMichell/Linville Gorge, Nolichucky/French Broad, Watauga/Holston, and Mt Rogers.

The closest points from the AT to Mt Mitchell are at Sams Gap and Spivey Gap, then its a long drive to Mt Mitchell.

There are some long term plans on what be called the Blue Ridge Mountains Trail. It will connect the Mountain to Sea Trail in NC to the Virginia AT via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't expect this anytime soon.

But currently there is no connector trail in between the MST and AT except for 4 miles of conjoined trail in the Smokies.

SassyWindsor
06-27-2011, 19:32
It seems it would be difficult without a lot of road walking to hike from Mitchell to the AT. Bald Mtn is only about 20 miles in a straight line, but to get there could be very difficult. Another option would to head north through Pisgah NF and try to head toward Roan Mtn area, also virtually impossible. A trail blazed between Mitchell and the AT would indeed become a popular hike.