PDA

View Full Version : Gear Question, Eberlestock, Hennessy Hammock, Jetboil or MSR ?

aussie21
06-26-2011, 11:59
I'm new here but thought I might get to clear a few of my own questions up that have been bugging me. I'm planning my first SOBO thru hike and had a question about some of my gear. I have a Eberlestock V69 Destroyer pack its 7 lbs. 2 oz. and 3660 cubic inches, very nice and tough pack so far. Im considering getting a hennessy hammock for the trip being as they double as a tent with the use of trekking poles? And my last question is about a stove. I was thinking about the jetboil sol ti or an msr but not sure which? Any thoughts or suggestions about my gear selection would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

kayak karl
06-26-2011, 12:23
your pack is very heavy. shoot for less then 3 lb
i have over 300 nites in my HH and never set it up as a tent? what under insulation will you be using?
the stove, others may chime in. i use a this Stove (http://www.antigravitygear.com/caldera-kitchen-for-the-agg-3-cup-pot.html)

ScottP
06-26-2011, 12:44
Hammocks are nice. 7 pound backpacks are nice if you have to carry a mortar.

aussie21
06-26-2011, 14:19
your pack is very heavy. shoot for less then 3 lb
i have over 300 nites in my HH and never set it up as a tent? what under insulation will you be using?
the stove, others may chime in. i use a this Stove (http://www.antigravitygear.com/caldera-kitchen-for-the-agg-3-cup-pot.html)

I won't use it as a tent unless i have to. But for insulation i would order henessy's insulation package and maybe their bubble pad. Does anyone have this setup? Is it as good in cold weather as hennessy sais it is?

kayak karl
06-26-2011, 14:32
the HH insulation system sucks! check out http://www.hammockforums.net/? for other options.
there is never any reason to go to the ground on the AT except for stupidity.

aussie21
06-26-2011, 14:43
the HH insulation system sucks! check out http://www.hammockforums.net/? for other options.
there is never any reason to go to the ground on the AT except for stupidity.

whats your opinion on the jrb insulation systems? like the nest or mt. washington?

kayak karl
06-26-2011, 15:11
whats your opinion on the jrb insulation systems? like the nest or mt. washington?
i own both.
mt wash 4 i have had down to -5 degrees. hiked jan and feb 09 with it.
the nest rated at 40 i have had to 30 and was comfy. aug and sept 09 in me and nh.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258977

kayak karl
06-26-2011, 15:15
im using a te-wa winter coat quilt now (3/4 quilt) it worked this winter at 10 degrees. might stick with it, but my go to's are my JRB's.

WILLIAM HAYES
06-26-2011, 15:25
lose the pack its too heavy look at ULA or Six moons or granite gear -check out Warbonnet hammocks I have the Blackbird and prefer it over my hennessey I use whoopie slings and a McCat deluxe fly and JRB under and overquilts- I have been quite comfortable down to 15 degrees without having to put on extra clothes go to hammock forums -its a great resource if you are interested in hammocking -I would never go back to tenting after sleeping in a hammock best rest I have ever had on the trail and I have used ultralite tents bivys and ultralite tarps over the years plus its very convenient all you need is two trees and you can hang just about anywhere-

hillbilly

WILLIAM HAYES
06-26-2011, 15:30
RE stove -look at alcohol stoves -you can make your own I use a tea light stove I made with an integrated pot stand check out Jason Klass'es website he has a great video on tea light stoves super light weight easy to use cheap and has worked well for me even in the winter

skinewmexico
06-26-2011, 22:11
I wish I lived somewhere with trees.

Stats 2012
06-27-2011, 01:21
I love my HH Ultralight Backpacker. I just ordered the sil-nylon hex rainfly, though, and am kicking myself for not asking for the upgrade when I ordered the hammock a year ago -- would have saved a lot of money! The small rainfly that comes with it does a great job shedding even the heaviest rains when you are in the hammock, but I was looking for something that will keep me dry when I am cooking or setting up or striking. The hex fly seemed just the thing.

I also ordered the #4 Snakeskin to go with it.

I haven't personally set up the hammock like a bivy sack using hiking poles, but I've seen it done. Staking the guy wires is key.

Stats 2012
06-27-2011, 01:26
Oh, and on cold nights I just put a closed-cell pad (RidgeRest or SOLite RidgeRest) between my bag and the hammock. Works great even when the temps dip into the 30's.

Papa D
06-27-2011, 08:01
Your pack is very heavy - winter backpacking excepted, I carry a 50 liter pack which is plenty - you're pack is only 60 liters (3660 = about 60 liters) but it is a full 3 pounds heavier than an Ospery or other similar backpacking oriented pack - this is because your pack is designed for hunting and survival type applications - this is not really a "backpackers" pack. The hennessy hammock is a fine idea but you should make sure you actually like sleeping in a hammock. You should also consider that there are not always convenient places to hang a hammock - say in a field or in an area without many trees. Often on the AT, you might want to camp in a campground or a field near a town or outside a hostel when allowed, etc. - a small solo tent or tarp is much more versatile. It is also considered very impolite to hang your hammock in a shelter - unless it's winter time, you leave some room and are fairly sure no one else is coming in for the night. As for your stove, I would suggest a small TI pot and an MSR Pocket Rocket - it's light, easy, and versatile - I own a jet-boil and use it to make soup or coffee in my truck or lend it to folks. People get good at cooking with a jet-boil but it's pretty much a water-boiler only - you have to have a really long spork to get down in there and stir.

mykl
06-27-2011, 10:31
Hands down Jetboil. I've been using one for about 6 years and love it. Replaced ignitor once ($5-). You can get a pot supprt if you plan on doing more than boil water. I can't say enough good things about them.