PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands/ Mt Rodgers Hike

tucker0104
06-27-2011, 01:24
I am about to do some hiking this these two areas for 2 or 3 days. Does anyone have any suggestions on trail that are a must or a group of trails that makes a good loop trail? I am going to buy the map tomorrow.

Lugnut
06-27-2011, 10:55
Park at Massie Gap parking area, take trail to intersect AT, north on AT to Old Orchard shelter, south on Lewis Fork spur trail to Mt. Rogers trail. Left on Mt Rogers trail to Deep Gap. Pick up AT here. Left on AT back to Massie Gap. This is a great 3 day hike.

nitegaunt
06-27-2011, 13:13
That's a really cool loop I haven't done Lugnut. There are actually tons of trails and possibilities around there. Get the National Geographic map for the area. It's very worth it! If you are only doing two days then hiking to the summit and then taking Pine Mtn trail to intersect back with the AT is also a good trip. I think I'm going to spend a little time there soon, too.

chelko
06-27-2011, 18:20
Park at Massie Gap. take .8 mile connector to AT then right (north) on AT to Wise Shelter or campsite just past shelter for the night. Day two north on AT pasth the scales on to junction of Pine Mtn Trail. Left on pine Mtn to Rhododendron Gap then right (south) on AT to Thomas Knob area, establish camp go bag the summit. Day three north on AT back to Massie Gap. Play with the ponies in this section. Shorter hike than the one mentioned by Lugnut. I like it because it allows more time to take in the views and catch a mid afternoon nap in the shade.

30 Large
06-27-2011, 18:50
A couple of my friends and I just did a 3 day trip up there a couple weeks ago. 21 miles easy peezy. If you pm me, I can send you a .pdf of my trail notes and even my .gpx track file. It's one of my favorite places on the southern AT.