PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands/ Mt Rodgers

tucker0104
06-27-2011, 01:25
I am about to do some hiking this these two areas for 2 or 3 days. Does anyone have any suggestions on trail that are a must or a group of trails that makes a good loop trail? I am going to buy the map tomorrow.

Big Dawg
06-27-2011, 10:13
I'd incorporate the AT and Pine Mountain trail as a loop hike

hobby
06-27-2011, 12:06
rhoddadendron(sp) gap campsite

Ewker
06-27-2011, 12:16
I posted this once and it isn't showing. I 2nd what Big Dawg said. Hopefully the map will show up 11682

Big Dawg
06-27-2011, 14:52
rhoddadendron(sp) gap campsite

uhhhh,, definitely YES,, what hobbby said. all 3 pics are from the same campsite @ rhododendron gap

Corrigan
06-29-2011, 08:23
This past week I did a 3 day/2 night loop from Damascus. I left off of 4th Street and went north on the Iron Mountain Trail (Old AT) about 20 miles until I hit the AT. At this point I headed south and walked straight back into Damascus. Very tiring 3 days as I did about 18miles each day however, the views and wildlife were great. Even ran into some more NOBO that have gotten held up by random issues but were still chugging along. I found the Iron Mountain Trail to be pretty lame....no views at all. It was nice to see the shelters (no bugs or rodents) and I did run into a lot of wildlife back there. In hind sight I could have cut my hike (by miles) a little shorter b cutting through Pine Mountain and skipping Scales and Massie Gap but I actually really enjoyed that section. Even though I was spent..... water was never an issue, have fun!

JEBjr
06-29-2011, 08:28
I would recommend the Crest Trail/VA Highlands Horse Trail for your short cut rather than the Pine Mountain Trail. The Crest Trail runs pretty much parallel to the Pine Mountain but you have better views.

CherrypieScout
06-29-2011, 08:38
My niece and I spent a night at Thomas Knob. Beautiful two days with the ponies and views.

CherrypieScout
06-29-2011, 08:38
We were there just a week ago

Corrigan
06-29-2011, 11:04
CPS - Thanks for the hitch!!

Mr. Bumpy
06-30-2011, 08:00
This past week I did a 3 day/2 night loop from Damascus. I left off of 4th Street and went north on the Iron Mountain Trail (Old AT) about 20 miles until I hit the AT. At this point I headed south and walked straight back into Damascus. Very tiring 3 days as I did about 18miles each day however, the views and wildlife were great. Even ran into some more NOBO that have gotten held up by random issues but were still chugging along. I found the Iron Mountain Trail to be pretty lame....no views at all. It was nice to see the shelters (no bugs or rodents) and I did run into a lot of wildlife back there. In hind sight I could have cut my hike (by miles) a little shorter b cutting through Pine Mountain and skipping Scales and Massie Gap but I actually really enjoyed that section. Even though I was spent..... water was never an issue, have fun!

When you were on the Iron Mt. Trail did you see bicycles? Can you bike to a the shelter? My son and I usually spend a couple of nights in the highlands hiking out of the state park each year but I've always wondered about Iron Mt. for either a hike or overnight with mountain bikes. Also, what is the horse situation like on the Iron Mt. Trail?

Corrigan
06-30-2011, 17:16
I didn't see any bikes or horses, I did see a lot of bike tracks and horse poop though. The shelter I stayed at was 18 miles in from Damascus and had a log to tie horse off on. No clue what the correct terminology for the log is, but there was one there! The trail itself is pretty wide and open and shouldn't be any trouble to bike on....... good luck!