PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Jack's Resupply Advice

Simrose
02-04-2005, 11:58
Just wondering if there is still a 2005 update to the resupply advice in the works or if I'm missing it on a thread somewhere. I know the original article is awesome, is an update going to change a lot of that?

(My companion and handbook are on their way so I haven't started the serious drop planning yet, but soon.)

Moose2001
02-04-2005, 12:19
Simrose...Jack's resupply/maildrop advice is, without a doubt, the best anywhere. Very accurate and well thought out. The only change that might affect you that I see is the closing of Rainbow Springs. Any other changes should only be minor ones.

If you're planning a lot of maildrops, my advice is...don't. When you get your maildrop list together, post it here. You'll get lots of feedback on it. I think you'll find that you can get by with significantly less drops than you think you need.

See ya up the trail.

chris
02-04-2005, 13:15
I just want to echo what Moose said: Don't plan a lot of maildrops. Personally, I wouldn't send a mail drop until Port Clinton in PA, but others have their own preferences. Many people advocate a mail drop to Fontana and Harpers Ferry.

Jack's article is a good reference tool, but remember that it is impossible to keep up to date with everything on the AT. So, keep your ears open and be receptive to change. Having a plan should give you some confidence before you set out, but should not dictate your actions when you are in the field itself.

Also, there are a couple of recent threads on resupply sitting in the Thruhiker subforum that you might want to look at. See the threads called "Towns with large supermarkets" and "Places with micro, but good, resuppply" for some very spartan information.

Boo Boo
02-04-2005, 13:31
On the trail, I saw the pros/cons of maildrops. When planning for this trip, I really couldn't tell exactly where I'd be on the trail on order to prepare a drop. Instead, I planned the first three (Hiawassee, NOC, and Gatlinburg). After that, I played it by ear. I would figure roughly 2 drops ahead. By then I'd know where to send the package (hostel, hotel, bar, etc...) and how much food. I also used Baltimore Jack's article as a guide. This pretty much worked out the entire way to Katahdin.

The key point here is to have a responsible person to do this back home. I picked my mom. I figure the one person on the planet who wouldn't let me starve would be her. I heard horror stories about how boy/girlfriends and others would casually forget to send the food. Mom never does!

I think I still have my drop list somewhere. If anyone is interested in seeing it, let me know. I'll post it here. Somewhere...

attroll
02-04-2005, 13:35
wbdent I have not received anything from Jack as far as an update to the one that is posted now. If I do I will update it right away.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2005, 14:55
To those who've asked....I'm working on it right now, thoi won't be done for probably a week or so; it's a very long article and I need to go thru the 2005 Handbook and the 2005 Companion line-by-line.

It'll be posted here just as soon as it's done.

In the meantime, I suggest that the 2005 folks use the search mechanism and check out the many existing threads on re-supply, maildrops, shopping oprions, etc. There is a ton of good information posted here at Whiteblaze on these and other pertinent subjects.

Also, in the "Information" section of the website, there are several very useful articles, including a great one by Weathercarrot that deals with hiking on a budget, and also one by POG that contains a wealth of useful stuff on how to prepare packages, how to ensure that you receive them, etc.

Mountain Dew
02-04-2005, 15:28
IF you muist send a mail drop then try to send them to hostels first, outfitters next, and lastly try the post office. Hostels are "always open", outfitters have the second best hours of the group, and post offices have the worst hours of all.

Peaks
02-04-2005, 18:34
IF you muist send a mail drop then try to send them to hostels first, outfitters next, and lastly try the post office. Hostels are "always open", outfitters have the second best hours of the group, and post offices have the worst hours of all.

For my mail drops, I considered which was the most convient to the trail. where the PO was more convienent, I used that.

chris
02-04-2005, 18:41
Now I always default to the PO. Hostels and businesses along the AT can be very busy. I like to try to take some of the burden off of them, even if they have offered to take packages.

MOWGLI
02-04-2005, 19:01
Now I always default to the PO. Hostels and businesses along the AT can be very busy. I like to try to take some of the burden off of them, even if they have offered to take packages.

The way I look at it, if you send a drop to a hostel, you dang well better stay there. If not, you should at least offfer some sort of compensation. I also called ahead to the few hostels where I sent mail drops, and asked if it was OK first.

MileMonster
02-04-2005, 19:44
Remember to make sure the particular hostel accepts mail drops. Some don't (Hikers Paradise, Gorham for one). I found that out the hard way.