PDA

View Full Version : "Grip Clips" and silnylon...?

J.D.
02-04-2005, 12:06
Has anyone used "Grip Clips" and silnylon with success....?

<http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/ultra-light-silicon-tarps.html>

Sewing silnylon is a total PITA for me....

Happy Trails,

J.D.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 12:35
Nope ...never have tried that approach. But I'll tell you something that works pretty well and doesn't require any sewing. Take a tub of SilNet or other silicone sealing product and make a series of dots in the area where you want things to stick.

I use a 3/4 thermarest and have a silnylong shelter floor. Used to slip and slide around all night. Took a slightly different approach with the pad though. I put the silicon dots directly on the thermarest. Stays put now !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Boo Boo
02-04-2005, 13:12
I saw them in use this year on the trail. Two silnylon ponchos were attached together at night using the clips. I think the couple fared well during some downpours.

J.D.
02-04-2005, 20:24
I saw them in use this year on the trail. Two silnylon ponchos were attached together at night using the clips. I think the couple fared well during some downpours.
Thanks for the info...!

And, that's another good idea; e.g., using TWO silnylon ponchos. While setting up in a downpour, if you were wearing one poncho and had another to rig as a small tarp.... Hmmm... Wonder what the weight diff is versus a single silnylon tarp fo comparable size...

Thanks!

Happy Trails,

J.D.