PDA

View Full Version : Tent on outside of backpack?

Prettywoman0172
06-27-2011, 21:46
Would it be ok to lash my tent on the outside of my pack or is that just asking for a problem? (as in it falls off/gets lost)Thanks.Ann

topshelf
06-27-2011, 21:52
It's no problem lashing it on somewhere, but yes if you do lose it you're screwed. I used to carry mine on the outside, but to make sure it didn't go anywhere and for added insurance I clipped my drawstring on the tent's stuff sack to my pack with a small carabiner

topshelf
06-27-2011, 21:53
...onto my pack

Chomp09
06-27-2011, 21:54
I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses on this but I think you've answered your own question. My perspective is that if you are going to strap anything to the outside of your pack you should not feel very attached to it (no pun intended) because you run the risk of losing it every day. A backpack is intended to be packed and if your stuff doesn't fit you need to either get a larger pack or trim back some volume/weight of your gear.

ChinMusic
06-27-2011, 21:54
I usu put my tent in the back pocket of my ULA pack. I usu to not even bring a stuff sack. I can easily pull it out at lunch to dry it off. I can easily get to it once at camp if time is critical.

ScottP
06-27-2011, 21:58
I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses on this but I think you've answered your own question. My perspective is that if you are going to strap anything to the outside of your pack you should not feel very attached to it (no pun intended) because you run the risk of losing it every day. A backpack is intended to be packed and if your stuff doesn't fit you need to either get a larger pack or trim back some volume/weight of your gear.

I agree with the above^^^^^^

JDCool1
06-27-2011, 22:09
I have carried my tent well lashed to the outside of my pack, no problem. Being on the outside it is readily available to erect and to keep easy to dry it out if need be. The idea of attaching a small carabiner to the tent sack drawstring and a loop on the outside of the pack could insure it stays with you if that is a concern. Have fun.

Prettywoman0172
06-27-2011, 22:21
I had my sleeping pad(aridge rest) attached to the bottom of the pack, but I juzt upgraded to aself inflating thermarest which is packed inside now, and the strap things where the ridgerest used to be are empty and I thought the tent would fit there nicely, but I am afraid of losing it.

Feral Bill
06-27-2011, 23:04
If you know how to tie knots, no problem. I've carried tents both in and on my backpack. Like many things that are fiercely debated, it makes very little difference.

FB

MuddyWaters
06-27-2011, 23:24
its not a problem if you do it well. Foam pads are very light and tend to stay put. heavier objects not so much as pack shifts and straps become loose. Mine goes into mesh pocket on back of pack , fits well there, very secure, no straps needed, etc, but i have to agree that if you are lashing all kinds of things on the outside, you dont have the right pack, the right packing method, carrying too much, etc.

Tuckahoe
06-27-2011, 23:41
Well what I love about using an external frame is that when I carry the Clip Flashlight tent, I can attach it right to the frame and use the bag for other items I am carrying. But I guess I am doing it wrong.

skinewmexico
06-27-2011, 23:54
I stuff mine in the back mesh pocket of my ULA. Or sometimes I'll roll it and stand it in a side pocket, under the compression strap at top. Not a big deal.

Dogwood
06-28-2011, 00:51
While losing gear attached to or stored on the outside of a pack can happen it shouldn't keep you from firmly lashing a tent to the outside of your pack. If doing this it's convenient to have a rear shovel pocket or one deeper side mesh pocket WITH adjustable bungee or something to tighten up the top of the pocket. Two packs that come to mind that have these features are manufactutred by Six Moon Designs and Gossamer Gear.

Personally, I have lost maps, bivies, a nice down vest, two nalgenes(when I used to carry one), a ground cloth(when I used to carry one), and a nice merino wool shirt stored on the outside of my pack! I also don't like "stuff" bouncing around while hanging off the outside of my pack. It's simply too easy to lose stuff that way. I also don't want to be thrown off balance by an improperly weighted pack and/or gear. Keep in mind, when attaching gear and storing gear on the outside of your pack that you want your pack and gear to flow with your hiking. In other words, you don't want to be struggling with an improperly weighted pack or with bulky gear stored improperly on the outside of your pack that impedes your flow. Secure your tent well!

30 Large
06-28-2011, 05:48
While I agree with some of the replies, I think if you do a good job of securing it you will be fine.

I do a half and half. Meaning, my tent/groundcloth are compressed down in their sack on the inside and I strap my poles to the outside right behind my pad. It has always worked well for me. I have never lost my poles.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

30 Large
06-28-2011, 06:01
While I agree with some of the replies, I think if you do a good job of securing it you will be fine.

I do a half and half. Meaning, my tent/groundcloth are compressed down in their sack on the inside and I strap my poles to the outside right behind my pad. It has always worked well for me. I have never lost my poles.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Spokes
06-28-2011, 08:48
Yeah it's okay but, like others mentioned, make sure it's secure. An easy way is to run one of your outside straps through the tent sacks draw string loop or clip it with a 'biner.

Cheers!

Spokes
06-28-2011, 08:49
Yeah it's okay but, like others mentioned, make sure it's secure. An easy way is to run one of your outside straps through the tent sacks draw string loop or clip it with a 'biner.

Cheers!

lemon b
06-28-2011, 09:07
These days since I switched to an internal frame pack. The tent is inside third item from bottom. With my old keltly external I sometimes had it strapped underneath. My main concern is keeping everything dry so as long as the pack cover goes over my rig I feel comfortable.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2011, 09:39
I've always carried mine on the outside. The few times it's fallen off, it makes a loud-enough "thump" that I know right away it's off.

My current Kelty Red Cloud pack has numerous straps including a pair with clips. It's pretty secure.

Panzer1
06-28-2011, 10:17
Things that are attached to the outside of the pack can fall off. But I never heard of someone loosing a tent that way. Its a big thing to fall off and not know.

Like others said, run a strap thru the tent bag draw string so if comes loose it will start swinging like a pendulum.

Panzer

kayak karl
06-28-2011, 10:27
Like others said, run a strap thru the tent bag draw string so if comes loose it will start swinging like a pendulum. Panzer
yep, clip on the draw string. i don't own a tent, but i keep my hammock tarp on the outside of pack in mesh bag. like the kind onios come in.

paistes5
06-28-2011, 11:14
I used to carry mine on the outside with no problems at all. Switched to inside the pack one day and loved the weight distribution much better and didn't have to worry about it getting snagged crawling through blowdowns.

McPick
06-30-2011, 22:55
Personally, I have lost maps, bivies, a nice down vest, two nalgenes(when I used to carry one), a ground cloth(when I used to carry one), and a nice merino wool shirt stored on the outside of my pack!

Mr Dogwood, I suspect this all occurred AFTER you got rid of your 75...!

WILLIAM HAYES
07-01-2011, 20:05
I try to minmize carrying anything strapped on the outside of my pack i have had gear attached to the outside of my pack snag too often -each to his own however i just prefer a tight pack i keep everything inside my pack except for wet socks

kolokolo
07-01-2011, 20:13
I used to carry my tent lashed to the outside of my backpack. Never lost it. You'll be fine.

vamelungeon
07-01-2011, 21:08
Anything on the outside can get dragged off if you are on a trail where there is some scrambling. If it's just walking the only way it will come off is if you are careless. I just finished a trail where there were lots of downed trees that required climbing/crawling and anything on my pack could have gotten lost. On a trail with just walking, not as likely.

Jay_NJ
07-02-2011, 01:07
Keep my tent inside when it is dry. If it is wet/damp I let it dry on the outside while I hike in a mesh stuffsack.

gumball
07-02-2011, 06:39
My husband carries our tent on the outside--I have a tarp (it stays on the inside). If you can lash it to the outside, it keeps the inside of your pack from getting all the muck-muck from the ground spread around in there. Also helps it to dry out nicely if you've tented in the rain.

stranger
07-02-2011, 11:03
You should not carry a complete tent outside your pack but it's not because you may lose it, although I guess that's possible in theory, but because generally speaking, a tent is too heavy a piece of gear to have isolated a foot or more from your back.

Packs work best when the most dense items are centered, and close to your back. Therefore a tent on the back of the pack is not exactly close to your back. Furthermore, packs are all about leverage, so an item that weighs 3lbs that's strapped to the back of your pack is going to feel like 5-6lbs. Leverage is everything on packs, it's not just about weight.

Finally I would just ask the question why? Don't we have packs to put our gear inside? What's the attraction to a tent outside? Are you struggling to fit everything inside your pack? Do you envision it's going to be more convienent? Do what you want, just realize that having a tent outside makes you do more work and will wear you out quicker than having it inside and close to your back, this is a fact. Will you notice this? Probably not, so does it matter? Depends on what is important to you in the end.

Many hikers have no clue how to pack a pack, so they end up doing alot more work than is necessary, but because they don't know any better, they don't know any better, so they have no idea this is happening.

Chomp09
07-02-2011, 13:15
You should not carry a complete tent outside your pack but it's not because you may lose it, although I guess that's possible in theory, but because generally speaking, a tent is too heavy a piece of gear to have isolated a foot or more from your back.

Packs work best when the most dense items are centered, and close to your back. Therefore a tent on the back of the pack is not exactly close to your back. Furthermore, packs are all about leverage, so an item that weighs 3lbs that's strapped to the back of your pack is going to feel like 5-6lbs. Leverage is everything on packs, it's not just about weight.

Finally I would just ask the question why? Don't we have packs to put our gear inside? What's the attraction to a tent outside? Are you struggling to fit everything inside your pack? Do you envision it's going to be more convienent? Do what you want, just realize that having a tent outside makes you do more work and will wear you out quicker than having it inside and close to your back, this is a fact. Will you notice this? Probably not, so does it matter? Depends on what is important to you in the end.

Many hikers have no clue how to pack a pack, so they end up doing alot more work than is necessary, but because they don't know any better, they don't know any better, so they have no idea this is happening.

EXACTLY what Stranger said. Very well put!

Papa D
07-02-2011, 22:46
There have been so many WB posts about this it's getting silly. I carry all my stuff inside my pack except maybe a pack towel or whatever is in my pockets - it's compact, carries better, things don't get caught on tree limbs, etc. - after (or in) a rainstorm, I shake my tent out really good, and stuff it up fast - it still goes inside my pack - everything else in there is pretty much in it's own dry bag or zip lock so other stuff doesn't get wet, however, I suppose that there is a good case to attach a wet of frozen tent to the outside of your pack (on a temporary basis) - this is about the only good reason I have heard to keep it on the outside - I still don't do this though. Naturally, HYOH - carry it on your head if it feels good.