PDA

View Full Version : Just another water system...

STICK
06-27-2011, 23:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY36Ew9rV1g

I like this system overall, but I gotta say, the tablets are much stronger tasting than the drops... but the filter will take care of that.

Just another water system... (http://sticksblog.com/2011/06/27/just-another-water-system/)

Spokes
06-28-2011, 09:00
Cool. I use a Guyot silicone squishy bowl to dip water. It doesn't kick up any silt when you dip and forms a nice "funnel" for easy pouring into the platy.

Trailbender
06-28-2011, 10:09
2L gatorade bottle for hiking, 2L platy for campwater, bleach. That's what I used on my thru. I use my cookpot to get water.

Loneoak
06-28-2011, 15:51
thanks Stick

STICK
06-28-2011, 19:04
Spokes,
I thought about those, but I am already carrying my Kupilka that I use as my cup. However, I am trying to keep from scooping "dirty water" with something that I will use to drink "clean water" from later. This is why I decided to bring a Ziploc. It is cheap and super light and worked pretty good IMO.

Trailbender,
that is a good idea though about using my cook pot. My problem is that I keep my cook pot inside my pack. I am trying to keep stuff I would use throughout the day outside my pack so that I don't have to unpack until once at camp.

STICK
06-29-2011, 16:45
I have made another video to go along with this post. This video is a little more about the Frontier Pro filter. Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YQjj0KpG8

A Closer Look at the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro Water Filter (http://sticksblog.com/2011/06/29/a-closer-look-at-the-aqua-mira-frontier-pro-water-filter/)

Spokes
06-29-2011, 17:44
Spokes,
I thought about those, but I am already carrying my Kupilka that I use as my cup. However, I am trying to keep from scooping "dirty water" with something that I will use to drink "clean water" from later. This is why I decided to bring a Ziploc. It is cheap and super light and worked pretty good IMO. .....

Stick, I only use the Squishy for dipping water, never cross use. It folds down easy and weighs nearly nothing.

I looked up the Frontier Pro and assume it's a disposable filter- meaning you can't replace its main filter cartridge? You can only replace the pre-filters, right? So at a 50 gallon capacity that ends up being about $3 per gallon.

Hmmm........

STICK
06-29-2011, 20:55
Correct, the Frontier Pro filter is a "single-use" item meaning the filters cannot be replaced. However, it is not quite $3/gallon. The FP retails for $24.95, so just say $25. That would make it $0.50/gallon, or 12.5 cents per liter. However, the filter can be found for cheaper than that. I got mine for $18 off of Amazon.com This would make it $0.36/gallon, or 9 cents per liter.

But...

You also have to figure in the chemicals per liter... If I use my MicroPur tabs, that is $0.30 per liter extra. The AM Drops though are considerably less, jsut not sure on the exact figure...

30 Large
06-29-2011, 21:07
A great system you have there.

I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro that hooks right up to my platy bladder. Total system weight is 11oz. Sure its 9oz heavier than the filter you use here, but if you are considering cost per liter, my replacement filter is $39.95 and rated for 750L. That's $0.05 per liter. And no chemicals needed :)

STICK
06-29-2011, 21:28
I hear ya on the Hiker Pro. That was my first filter, but I didn't like messing with all the hoses (and obviously the weight) and recently sold it. I am not trying to say one way is better than the other, but after using both systems, I am happier with one such as what I have posted above. IMO, it is not any easier to use the HP filter than it is for me to use the chemicals and the FP filter. So, at this point it is merely preference for me. I like the half a pound weight savings more and don't mind spending a little extra $ for the overall outcome, considering it is not noticeably much more $ anyway (IMO).

LDog
06-29-2011, 21:38
Love the weight and the cost. Howsomever 50 gal limit means it's gonna have to be replaced at some point during a thru. Having to wait for chemicals to work is a minor nuisance when you wanna fill your bottles and get back on the trail. No ability to back flush means when it's clogged, yer back to using aqua mira ... At least you have a back up ... Thanks for the reviews!