PDA

View Full Version : November Section Hike

Huber
06-28-2011, 11:33
In May I went on my first long distance hike from Springer to Deep Gap NC. This November I am going back to do the another section hike from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam.

My question is, are there any tips for packing light in cold weather as far as clothing goes. I've been backpacking before in cold weather, but they were just weekend trips where weight wasn't too much of an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Smooth & Wasabi
06-29-2011, 11:54
There are plenty of tips out there for light weigh cold weather hiking (check out Backpacking Light ) a couple I find helpful include:

Be mindful about regulating body heat. Specifically hike in as light as possible layers so you do not sweat. If you are sweaty reduce your pace the last hour or so so your clothes dry. Avoiding getting to camp soaking wet allows you to bring less clothing which is the key. You should be able to get away with just one light base layer.(two if you are one who "needs"(wants) different sleeping clothes. I know that when I started cold wheather hiking I brought way too many clothes which was heavy.

If you don't already have one get a light weight puffy. Much lighter than fleece or wool layers. It is all you need aside from hiking clothes. There are many out there just make it light. If you tend cold puffy pants might be helpful but until we are talking dead of northern winter I just hike in nylon zip offs and keep my baselayer dry for camp.

I find a good breathable windshirt invaluable. I can hike down into the teens and lower with a wicking t-shirt and wind shirt and it is often all I need for rest stops saving my puffy from exposure. They do not absorb much water and dry quickly. I like having a hood so I can keep my warm hat for camp and dry if it is really chilly. Just try and get one that is not so coated it doesn't breathe which defeats the whole idea of carrying both raingear and a wind shirt.

I also like a super light ear band or buff. Drys quick, is all I need on my head while moving(with hooded windshirt in exreme conditions) and keeps your hat dry for camp.

There is also the ultralight gospel of using your insulated clothing as part of you sleeping system thus saving sleeping bag or quilt weight. Works well if you are comfortable with it.

Great time of year on the trail!

Blissful
06-29-2011, 11:57
Smartwool (merino wool) items work well for layering and hiking
I'd take a down jacket myself since I get cold, but you can check the weather first. Mid weight jacket could work. Gloves and good hat