PDA

View Full Version : mosquitoes around walkill river wetlands

trainhopper
06-28-2011, 15:02
Just want to let thru hikers approaching oil city road just shy of the pochuck shelter that mosquitoes in this area are the worst I have seen anywhere. Yesterday me and two buddies did a 6 mile hike finishing through these wetlands and I have never been bitten so much in such a short time (and it was only 4pm). Once you get to the shelter you should be in the clear as the wetlands will be behind you. When approaching this area use anything you have to keep mosquitoes away.

Blissful
06-28-2011, 15:10
DEET and you won't get bitten, at least not too badly

jersey joe
06-28-2011, 16:00
I don't use deet anymore, not since it melted the plastic cover on my watch....lord only knows what it does to my body.

burger
06-28-2011, 20:31
I haven't been out there this year, but in 2006 the Wallkill area had the worst mosquitoes I've ever seen--and I've hiked the PCT (Yosemite and Oregon have crazy mosquitoes) and spent a summer in a Louisiana swamp. NJ was worse than all of those. Bring 100% DEET.

Panzer1
06-28-2011, 23:43
don't stay in the shelters in that area. They always have too many mosquitoes during mosquito season. Stay in your tent.

When I get into camp I get into my tent right away. Yea, the mosquitoes will eat you alive in them parts.

Panzer

Trail Bug
06-29-2011, 17:19
I just finished New Jersey last week and the mosquitoes were awful, especially from High Point down to 206. I used Deet, but unless your whole body is covered with it your going to get a lot of bites.

30 Large
06-29-2011, 17:27
For those of you that are like me (allergic to DEET) or are just uncomfortable with the possible things it might be doing to your body, try out Repel Brand Lemon & Eucalyptus spray. It is all natural and works the best out of all the natural repellents I have ever used.

Just be forewarned... the fumes are very strong when initially applied. If you spray around your neck or head, be prepared to get light headed from them until you get used to it (took about 3 or 4 times of using it for me).