PDA

View Full Version : Socks, are they really necessary?

Nutbrown
06-28-2011, 15:03
I'm talking about the expensive wool ones. Whatever hiking brand you choose, I've alsways wondered if they were a gimick. Anyone use plain ole gym socks?

Blissful
06-28-2011, 15:08
Cotton socks? No way unless you love blisters. Take care of your feet and they take care of you and help you keep hiking. :)

Panzer1
06-28-2011, 15:19
Don't buy gym socks. Get yourself 3 pairs of expensive "hiking" socks. Use them only for hiking. Store them in your backpack so you don't use them for anything else. Don't buy cheap.

Panzer

Nutbrown
06-28-2011, 15:45
I have the nice ones, have never hiked in cotton. I have just always wondered if I did, would it be so bad...

ChinMusic
06-28-2011, 15:49
I'm talking about the expensive wool ones. Whatever hiking brand you choose, I've alsways wondered if they were a gimick. Anyone use plain ole gym socks?

Don't skimp on socks. Your feet will hate you if you do.

nufsaid
06-28-2011, 15:54
I have the nice ones, have never hiked in cotton. I have just always wondered if I did, would it be so bad...

If you had ever hiked any distance in cotton socks you would not have asked the question. Wet cotton socks and a long walk equals some messed up feet. Wet wool socks and a long walk equals a tolerable experience.

jersey joe
06-28-2011, 16:05
One issue with cotton socks on a long hike are that they WILL get wet and will take forever to dry out. Synthetic material and wool dry out much quicker.

Huber
06-28-2011, 17:01
I love my merino socks, and will never go back to cotton for hiking. I have found that Darn Tough socks work best for me.

grayfox
06-28-2011, 17:01

Well, if you ask Cody Lundin, socks-and shoes-are optional! But for most of the rest of us socks are necessary-to what degree they are needed depends on what sort of shoes we like and what season we are out in.

Cotton should be avoided. But many 'gym socks' these days are synthetic or even wool and can prove an inexpensive option if you find a brand you like. Look for flat toe seams and just enough cushion that you are not wallowing in comfort, you want to be able to feel the ground but not get bruised by rocks.

I like smartwool these days but I still use my old wigwam wool gym socks-I think they were called sport socks and were usually carried by sporting goods stores as well as rei, etc. They are mostly wool with a bit of nylon thrown in for durability.

ScottP
06-28-2011, 18:49
i use synthetic 1/4 length running socks

bobqzzi
06-28-2011, 18:54
I used to wear poly sock liners and wool socks which worked fine, but eventually figured out that sock liners alone were fine and much cooler.

harryfred
06-28-2011, 20:36
IMHO socks are much more important than shoes. I wear wool or wool-syn blend most of the year. Even in near freezing temps with my feet soaked it only takes a few mins. to warm back up. Hiking socks are also often sold in exact shoe size, I wear size 8 shoe I buy size 8 socks not socks made to fit 8-13. This means a whole bunch for comfort. during hot weather I tried some CoolMax socks and loved them they are pretty rumply now and I can't find them around here. Now I am hiking in simple nylon tube socks I got at Walmart. They are not much for cushioning, but do keep my feet dry and cover all the way up my calves to help with poison ivy and ticks.

swash
06-29-2011, 10:58
I use the REI merino wool low hiking socks that are something like $5. I practically wear them everyday because they are so comfortable. Spending $15-20 on 3 pairs of socks has worked well for me. I've yet needed to spend $15-20 on a single pair of hiking socks.

wcgornto
06-29-2011, 11:13
If you had ever hiked any distance in cotton socks you would not have asked the question. Wet cotton socks and a long walk equals some messed up feet. Wet wool socks and a long walk equals a tolerable experience.

And to me, wet synthetic socks and a long walk equals a more tolerable experience.

Feral Bill
06-29-2011, 11:19
Costco has good wool socks available seasonally (fall-winter) at a great price. Other big box stores my be helpful as well. Wet cotton is like sandpaper, avoid at all costs. I find synthetics plasticy but others obviously prefer them. Your choice.

JAK
06-29-2011, 19:38
I use wool sress socks, 80% wool, 20% nylon, maybe 2% spandex, and as cheap as $2 a pair. Wear them on trail and off.

lemon b
06-30-2011, 07:51
Have to agree with another poster. I find socks more important then the boots. Merino wool light hikers, they are often on sale. In any event I'd rather pay 15 bucks to prevent rather then the cost of fixing and healing from blisters.

lush242000
06-30-2011, 19:10
I use smartwool hiking socks. I paid about $9 a pair for them at dicks. I don't call that expensive at all. I prefer them over anything else on the market. They dry quickly and feel so good.

EJC
06-30-2011, 23:36
Coolmax socks are what works for me in summer, but there is no extra cushioning. I've tried merino wool light hikers and smart wool as well, but both made my feet sweat like crazy and ended with blisters.

nitegaunt
07-01-2011, 02:02
Nutbrown, had to chime in on this one. I think giving wool socks a try was one of the best and least expensive upgrades I made of my hiking gear. They don't even have to be expensive. At first I bought a couple of pairs of Smartwools that I paid the average price for but then last summer I found some North Face wool socks at TJ Max for 5 bucks a pair! Just keep your eyes open and there are deals on them out there. I now don't even own any cotton socks.

Trailweaver
07-01-2011, 02:04
Never had a blister, hope I never do. I wouldn't hike at all in a cotton sock. I've seen other people's feet look like raw hamburger, and I never want that.

ZeroC
07-01-2011, 16:00
I use full synthetic socks I just get at target, never had a problem. Anything fast drying and airy foot wear when in warm weather, change socks in the middle of the day.

Papa D
07-03-2011, 07:29
Not only should you wear good smart-wool type socks, you should buy dark colors - dark colors dry better in the sunshine when they have been wet as they absorb more heat

soulrebel
07-03-2011, 08:00
I wear and carry cotton socks...I can get six to eight pairs for the price of one pair of smartwools. I carry these extra socks and when I need to use them for any reason, I just take a fresh pair out of my pack...Durability is about the same or better in my opinion. You can get blisters with any type of material, just a matter of addressing hot spots before they form into blisters.

Papa D
07-03-2011, 08:30
With all due respect Soulrebel, I can easily get 300 miles out of one pair of smart-wools when rotated with another pair - and maybe more. Carrying 6-8 pairs of cotton socks is wasteful, cumbersome, heavy, could cause frostbite in the winter, and completely un-practicle, for long distance backpacking applications - since I have never heard of any other serious backpacker (ever) employing this method. I've got about 3500 backpacking miles on this pair of feet. I'm wondering how often you have been at this system. H.Y.O.H. but this recommendation for others to follow is really not very good. Just sayin'

jesse
07-03-2011, 15:17
Gear should be prioritized as follows:
#1 Shoes, socks, and underwear.
#2 The rest of your clothing, Insulation, outter shell, etc.
# 3 Packs, tents, stoves, bags, and all the other stuff.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2011, 23:10
Costco has good wool socks available seasonally (fall-winter) at a great price. Other big box stores my be helpful as well. Wet cotton is like sandpaper, avoid at all costs. I find synthetics plasticy but others obviously prefer them. Your choice.

Every winter Walmart blows the Hunter wool out, at a nice disount. - Wicking Socks from Rei are pricey and I could not tell the difference.

However, if you hike a lot remember once they are compressed throw them out!

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2011, 23:13
I wear and carry cotton socks...I can get six to eight pairs for the price of one pair of smartwools. I carry these extra socks and when I need to use them for any reason, I just take a fresh pair out of my pack...Durability is about the same or better in my opinion. You can get blisters with any type of material, just a matter of addressing hot spots before they form into blisters.

You must be lucky, and athough I keep cotton for work I would never hike in them, the retain too much moisture next to the skin. With wool I can ford a stream get to the other side squeegee them and move on..... try that in cotton.

DLANOIE
07-09-2011, 07:34
Gear should be prioritized as follows:
#1 Shoes, socks, and underwear.
#2 The rest of your clothing, Insulation, outter shell, etc.
# 3 Packs, tents, stoves, bags, and all the other stuff.

Underwear is optional:p
wool socks=comfort and safety
cotton socks=blisters

just sayin'

4Bears
07-09-2011, 09:24
I too prefer to wear wol sock for the above reasons and also wear a liner and I have NEVER had a blister with this combonation. If I stop for a long lunch I pull my socks of and let them dry a bit, the liners dry in about 15 minutes on a sunny day.

Trailbender
07-09-2011, 19:24
Cotton is garbage. I have a couple Tshirts to wear around home, but that is about it. My current hiking socks are wool ones I got in Port Clinton on my thru. They still have plenty of wear left in them. They replaced a pair I had 1000 miles on, and those were still wearable besides a hole in the heel. I gotta call BS on cotton socks lasting as long.

As for underwear, it is not optional for me, I don't like chafing, so I wear them.

tolkien
07-09-2011, 19:51
I decided to forgo my woolen socks on a small hike in exchange for some old cotton socks, for some reason. It rained. A lot. Drenched me. I had a blister the size of a peach pit. Wear woolen.

DavidNH
07-09-2011, 22:35
just to add to what's already been said: Don't even THINK about hiking in cotton socks. That's an invitation to misery.

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2011, 22:58
Trailbender - if the socks are compressed and have no "fluff" and have holes - you are hanging on to them too long.

Trailbender
07-10-2011, 04:08
Trailbender - if the socks are compressed and have no "fluff" and have holes - you are hanging on to them too long.

Not really, they seem to be fine. I haven't noticed any difference in how they fit or feel than when they were new. I tend to repair and use things to total failure though. As long as the socks keep me from getting blisters, absorb sweat, keep my feet comfortable, and in general, do the job of socks, they are fine. As for shoes, I am still hiking in a pair of Merrell's I got in Harper's Ferry. They have paracord laces and the front is held on with paracord punched through the soles and uppers. With that part of my AT thru and all my current hiking and walks, I think I have around 1900 miles on them, and the sole still has a decent amount of tread.

I couldn't imagine throwing away a pair of wool socks with only 300 miles on them, I would consider those practically new.

Different Socks
07-11-2011, 22:51
being that my trail name is "Different Socks", it wouldn't make sense not to wear socks.

utostar
07-12-2011, 07:35
Smartwool. I prefer the light hiking version, but the medium hiking ones are good as well. My feet sweat too much with the heavy version and I like my boots to fit tightly enough that heavy socks would take up too much room, but to each their own. Check out a few pairs of Smartwool - your feet will thank you.

mazda_corolla
07-12-2011, 14:29
Here's a perfect side-by-side example:

Went day-hiking with my brother yesterday in the Colorado Rockies.

Him = cotton socks, 10 lb pack
Me = wool socks, 20 lb pack

About three hours into the hike, we're halfway up a mountain and he says "man, I think I'm going to have blisters on my feet after this."
I immediately call a stop, and bust out the moleskin.

He sits down and pulls off his socks and shoes, and his feet/toes are all wrinkled, like you get when you soak in the bathtub for a long time.
Pull off my socks, and my feet are smooth and dry.

We're both medium build, comparable in size.

We patched his hotspots with moleskin, and he was fine for the rest of the day, but he's buying wool socks for the next trip. :)
Also, he's ditching the sweat-sponge he had covering his chest (i.e. also known as a 'cotton t-shirt'), in exchange for some synthetic water-wicking shirt.

Cotton is terrible for hiking.

SassyWindsor
07-12-2011, 19:51
I use Thorlo Lt Trekkers w/ coolmax liners. As with all my hiking clothing, no cotton allowed.

TexasEd
07-13-2011, 11:34
I hate seeing abandoned cotton socks thrown to the side of the trail when I hike.

upstream
07-13-2011, 12:26
I hike in white nylons from walmart, at $1 per pair. In winter I cover with some old ragg wool socks. The big moisture problem is probably because all hiking shoes nowadays are waterproof. They may breath vapor, but they are going to hold the water in. I liked my old nylon canvas hikers from years back. Goretex is the problem. Even cotton socks could dry somewhat if your boots weren't waterproof.

Richard11
07-14-2011, 08:57
Socks help to keep our feet warm and comfortable. It also absorbs the sweat of feet. There are different types of socks such as long socks, short socks, fun socks, medical socks, cotton socks, wool socks etc. It is essential to wear the right socks with the right shoes in order to feel comfortable and ease. Socks help to keep our feet warm and comfortable. It also absorbs the sweat of feet. There are different types of socks such as long socks, short socks, fun socks, medical socks, cotton socks, wool socks etc. It is essential to wear the right socks with the right shoes in order to feel comfortable and ease.

Brewerbob
07-14-2011, 11:09
Have I not hiked far enough then? Day hiker but I've never had any problem with cotton socks. I guess they are cotton. Plain old white socks. Probably cotton polyster blend. I get thru weekend camping and hiking fine with them and never thought much about them. I try to keep them dry at crossings but they still get "wet" from sweat and don't cause any trouble.