PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos 58 vs Granite Gear Blaze 60 - Opinions?

GvilleDave
06-28-2011, 15:29
I am considering a new pack and these two seem to fit my basic needs so I thought I'd ask and see what you all thought about these two packs. My main use will be 3 season weekends and multi-day trips. In the past I have carried ultralight packs (SMD Starlite) and heavier / larger packs (Gregory Lassen). I think I need more support than a UL type but not near the size or weight of the Lassen. My base pack weight is 25 #. Your advise is wanted and appreciated.

bigcranky
06-28-2011, 20:15
Have you worn the Exos with weight in it? That might help. I really wanted to love that pack, but the metal frame dug painfully into my hips. Not made for larger guys, I guess. (I'm 6-2, 210, 44 inch chest.)

skinewmexico
06-28-2011, 21:50
Try before you buy. Skinny hip belt on the Exos was killer to me. My skinny buddy loves it.

pistol p
06-29-2011, 09:28
I haven't used the Blaze, but I did look it over quite well at an Expo this spring, pretty nice. I think for the weight you are lugging, that my be a better choice.
I had the Exos 58 (large) for the past couple years. I'm 6'5", 220lbs, the pack size was maxed out for me. I've base weighed around 20# max, and 28# max with food and water. In my opinion, going over 30# would make this pack uncomfortable. The straps and hip belt are quite thin, and I from how they felt at @28lbs, I would imagine they would dig in pretty hard. I started cutting pack weight and am down to 22# with 4-5 days of food and 2qt of water, the pack wore great at that weight. Oh, and the breathability on the Exos is superb. I am a hot hiker (temp wise) and it was a godsend over the GG Vapor that I was using.

Smooth & Wasabi
06-29-2011, 15:56
I have tried on the exos in the store and think that if your base weight is really 25lbs than this pack is not for you. The blaze has great reviews for heavier loads but Ive never tried it out.

GvilleDave
06-30-2011, 12:06
Thanks for the input and recommendations. I actually misstated my base weight (I pulled it from an older packing list by mistake). My current 3 season base weight is 19.63#, big difference but based on this feedback and other research I think I am going to go with the Blaze. I am a big guy 6'2" 230# and I think the adjustable, wider shoulder straps of the Blaze will fit my body better. I have not been able to test pack or carry the Exos 58 but did try the smaller Exos 46 and the shoulder harness was tight on my neck....

I'll post a review after I have carried for a few miles. Thanks again for the input.

Lord Helment
06-30-2011, 12:49
i'm using the osprey exos 58 on my sobo thru starting in 10 days...great pack...like it a lot more than the gregory reality x i carried before...and way better than my lowe alpine contour 4 weighing in at a fine 7lbs 6oz empty...hard to believe i carried it for 15 years...love the osprey...

DareN
06-30-2011, 18:53
I can't comment on the Blaze, but I have the GG Escape. Same exact framesheet and waist/shoulder straps as the as the Blaze, only the packbag is different. I can speak very highly for the Escape, as it is very comfortable. My guess is the Blaze would be the same way. I do have my eyes on the Blaze though. I have used GG packs for a while, so the Blaze packbag is what most GG users are familiar with.