PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine what amount to tip a shuttler ?

johnnybgood
06-28-2011, 16:48
Is it based solely on a percentage ; say 20% of shuttle amount ? Is it promptness and courtesy ? Is it a (+/-) system using a combination of both ?
I've always shared a shuttle with friends and never really knew what the criteria was for tipping shuttle drivers.

10-K
06-28-2011, 16:53
Is it based solely on a percentage ; say 20% of shuttle amount ? Is it promptness and courtesy ? Is it a (+/-) system using a combination of both ?
I've always shared a shuttle with friends and never really knew what the criteria was for tipping shuttle drivers.

You know, until last year it never occurred to me to tip a shuttle driver. I don't know why I didn't think about it but it never crossed my mind until someone brought it up here.

My rough guide is .25 a mile so 40 miles = $10 and take it from there....

hikerboy57
06-28-2011, 16:55
If the shuttler owns the vehicle, no tip is necessary, hes charging you what he wants for the ride. If the driver works for a company, 15-20% is a good guideline. If he went out of his way for your benefit, use judgement and just do the right thing.Some places, like the AMC shuttle in the whites, dont accept tips, but it doesnt hurt to offer.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2011, 19:56
I've always shared a shuttle with friends and never really knew what the criteria was for tipping shuttle drivers.i never accept tips. you paid for the shuttle. that's enuf. everybody seems to wanna get tips all the time. i drive also for a bike shuttler. we do hiker shuttles too. i'm paid by the hour. no tips are necessary. i often refuse the

jbwood5
06-29-2011, 07:40
i never accept tips. you paid for the shuttle. that's enuf. everybody seems to wanna get tips all the time. i drive also for a bike shuttler. we do hiker shuttles too. i'm paid by the hour. no tips are necessary. i often refuse the

Thanks for making that point. When I get a quote, that is what I pay. On my previous hike I was quoted and I paid $80 to get shuttled from Bryson City to Twenty Mile Ranger Station. I think that was about $2 per mile.

Back when the Hike Inn (originally Fontana Inn) was charging $25 for a room, laundry, and round trip to Robbinsville, I'd leave an extra $5 or $8 because I knew they weren't charging enough.... plus they were just getting the business started and needed help. Now the same deal is about $65 which is expensive, but a fair price considering gas prices.

Lone Wolf, you may have very well shuttled my wife on one of the those bike trips she used to take down the Creeper Trail.

Just John

Mountain Shuttler
06-29-2011, 08:03
i never accept tips. you paid for the shuttle. that's enuf. everybody seems to wanna get tips all the time. i drive also for a bike shuttler. we do hiker shuttles too. i'm paid by the hour. no tips are necessary. i often refuse the
You don't accept tips and I do even though I'm the owner. It's not like I require them. Many people choose to tip me because I also give them expert advice on places to spend the night,eat,buy gear,etc. as well as ACCURATE WEATHER & TRAIL CONDITIONS. I always tip people well for their service because I'm not a cheapskate and they've got bills to pay just like me. BTW,my biggest tip was $100 and I've had several in the $20-$50 range,so I must be doing something right!

max patch
06-29-2011, 08:10
Take the amount of the shuttle and multiply by 0.00%. Easy.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2011, 09:23
You don't accept tips and I do even though I'm the owner. It's not like I require them. Many people choose to tip me because I also give them expert advice on places to spend the night,eat,buy gear,etc. as well as ACCURATE WEATHER & TRAIL CONDITIONS. I always tip people well for their service because I'm not a cheapskate and they've got bills to pay just like me. BTW,my biggest tip was $100 and I've had several in the $20-$50 range,so I must be doing something right!well that's you. i also give "expert" advice, etc. i'm the cheapest around here. most charge too much. BTW i would never tip an owner of a shuttle service, bar, restaurant, etc.

10-K
06-29-2011, 09:43
I wouldn't tip anyone who charged me $2 a mile. That's more than a taxi.

peakbagger
06-29-2011, 10:08
Do note, there are some services that try to skirt insurance and drivers license requirements (and outfitter guide permits) by not charging for the shuttle but expect a substantial recomended "tip". I believe the local in Gorham NH that used to do it may be out of this business but there may be others along the trail. I am not advocating this option, but its important to establish up front what the ultimate cost for the shuttle is going be to avoid misunderstandings.

A good guideline is the IRS mileage rate of 55 cents per mile which attempts to determine the true cost of owning and operating a vehicle. This does not include any compensation for the driver. The cost does not go up appreciably for carrying a couple of people so there should be some savings associated with a group, but then again that may be taken into account by the shuttler.

hikerboy57
06-29-2011, 10:08
You don't accept tips and I do even though I'm the owner. It's not like I require them. Many people choose to tip me because I also give them expert advice on places to spend the night,eat,buy gear,etc. as well as ACCURATE WEATHER & TRAIL CONDITIONS. I always tip people well for their service because I'm not a cheapskate and they've got bills to pay just like me. BTW,my biggest tip was $100 and I've had several in the $20-$50 range,so I must be doing something right!
Why dont you just charge what you feel your services are worth?and , to me, accurate weather in the mountains is basically "partly something with a chance of anything".

Lybarger
06-29-2011, 10:34
What is the going rate for shuttles? Last I heard it was about $1 per mile. When calculating mileage does that mean $1/mile one way or $1/mile for the shuttlers out and back (round trip)?

SouthMark
06-29-2011, 10:56
I used an owner shuttler from Erwin last week. I tipped him because I appreciated his excellent service, his excellent advice and his friendly and helpful conversation in route. He tried to refuse the tip but I insisted. I don't believe that a tip is required, it is just something you do if you are inclined to say thanks I appreciate the great service.

max patch
06-29-2011, 11:27
, to me, accurate weather in the mountains is basically "partly something with a chance of anything".

Here in GA you can almost always include "30% chance of afternoon thunderstorms".

max patch
06-29-2011, 11:34
Do note, there are some services that try to skirt insurance and drivers license requirements (and outfitter guide permits) by not charging for the shuttle but expect a substantial recomended "tip".

Tip issue aside, most shuttlers do not carry the appropriate insurance, which means if they are in an accident:

1. An injured passenger can not collect from the shuttlers insurance company, and

2. The shuttler can be personally sued for damages by an injured passenger (or their family in the event of a fatality).

mcskinney
06-29-2011, 19:07
you smell so bad they should tip you just for getting out

Toolshed
06-29-2011, 19:21
Tipping is waaay overrated these days. I think most folds have either forgotten the fine art of tipping or never learned it. People probably feel uncomfortable and end up tipping to allay their guilt or set their mind at ease.
someone tipped you a hundo just to drive them around??? they either have too much money or too little common sense.

Owners of businesses should not be tipped and should not accept a tip - they set the transaction rate. This pretty much goes for most type of businesses. If someone works for the owner and has done an exceedingly well job, then a tip is justified, ONLY if you feel it is worth it. Wait Staff withstanding, I don't think it should ever exceed 10-15% unless service was beyond exceptional.

I think people tend to feel uncomfortable and end up tipping to allay their guilt or set thier mind at ease.

Beachcomber
06-29-2011, 19:28
Last week I paid Jeff at The Hike Inn $130 for a shuttle from Fontana to Davenport Gap, which amounted to about a 200 mile round-trip for him, and roughly four hours on the road. (Also included: The few miles from his place to meet me at the Dam when I finished.) The rate was quoted back in February, "subject to fuel costs" and didn't change by June even though fuel costs had gone up quite a bit. I considered it a very fair rate: Good value for good service.

DavidNH
06-29-2011, 19:38
Last week I paid Jeff at The Hike Inn $130 for a shuttle from Fontana to Davenport Gap, which amounted to about a 200 mile round-trip for him, and roughly four hours on the road. (Also included: The few miles from his place to meet me at the Dam when I finished.) The rate was quoted back in February, "subject to fuel costs" and didn't change by June even though fuel costs had gone up quite a bit. I considered it a very fair rate: Good value for good service.

Why in heaven's name tip a shuttle driver? Either it's a free service included with a hostel stay (ie cost included with stay at hostel) or one pays dearly for being shuttled. We are hikers.. not rich businessmen who have money to toss around.

I don't like the whole idea of tipping myself. If someone isn't happy with their pay that's not my fault. I'm not their boss.

jbwood5
06-29-2011, 20:49
You did good. I was quoted $160 by Jeff from Big Creek Ranger Station to Twenty Mile. It is good that he stuck to his original quote, but gas certainly did go up a lot from February to May

kayak karl
06-29-2011, 21:41
I don't like the whole idea of tipping myself. If someone isn't happy with their pay that's not my fault. I'm not their boss.
do you entitled have a web site? where do you work? i want to boycott you. you just trashed every watress in the US and i hope the spit in your soup (or worse)
your a piece of work
KK

johnnybgood
06-29-2011, 21:58
Is it based solely on a percentage ; say 20% of shuttle amount ?

Take the amount of the shuttle and multiply by 0.00%. Easy.

Got it !! ~ math made simple . :D

Toolshed
06-29-2011, 22:01
.................................................. .................................................. .....

ChinMusic
06-29-2011, 22:55
I tip for personal services from employees but not owners. My regular barber owns his shop. I don't tip him. If one if his employees cuts my hair, I tip.

I don't know if that is Martha Stewart approved.......

Lone Wolf
06-29-2011, 22:59
do you entitled have a web site? where do you work? i want to boycott you. you just trashed every watress in the US and i hope the spit in your soup (or worse)
your a piece of work
KKwaitresses wait tables knowing full well they're gonna get tipped. they don't do it cuz they really love serving folks food and beverage. most don't earn tips. they go thru the motions

Blissful
06-29-2011, 23:11
I've heard of some waitresses making like 2.00 an hour b/c the bosses expect them to get tips to make up the difference.
In Bermuda (where I was last week) they automatically add 15% to your bill. Its cheap here to eat, let me tell you.

Skyline
06-29-2011, 23:25
A few things I think I think . . .

Most taxicab passengers do tip their drivers. It's an accepted part of our culture. Why then, does a significant portion of the hiker community think it's OK to NOT tip a shuttle driver? Just wondering...

With drivers and most service-oriented workers I think whether to tip, or how much to tip, should be based partly on the quality of the service they performed. Service economy workers are usually paid substandard wages, so it is incumbent upon them to work hard to impress their clients so as to garner decent tips--and therefore live a modest lifestyle. When they just do what is expected without enthusiasm or going the extra mile I tip about 10%. That percentage goes up the more they go out of their way to be helpful. Tipping 20% is pretty standard for me if I got decent service. Maybe a bit more for exemplary service.

Regarding shuttle drivers: If he or she arrived on time, with a clean reliable vehicle, and offered expert advice about the area, town services, places to camp or get water on the trail, etc. that driver deserves some consideration. If the client asked him to stop at the post office, WalMart, an outfitter, etc. that driver deserves an even larger tip. It really doesn't matter if the driver is the owner of the shuttle service or is an employee--good service is good service and should be rewarded.

At the other end of the spectrum--if the driver arrives late, has a filthy vehicle that's ready to break down due to poor maintenance (or actually does), and no conversation or advice is offered during the trip then maybe tipping is not at the top of my priorities.

Mountain Shuttler
06-30-2011, 00:02
well that's you. i also give "expert" advice, etc. i'm the cheapest around here. most charge too much. BTW i would never tip an owner of a shuttle service, bar, restaurant, etc.Well that's you back!!! I ain't the cheapest around & don't try to be because you get what you pay for!!! Maybe that's why people appreciate my newer,cleaner,more comfortable,& safer vehicles. Not to mention the fact that I'm not a boozer,druggie,or any other kind of unsafe driver!!! Maybe that's why many of my customers have used my service from the Atlanta Airport all the way through the Smokies and even as far north as Damascus. Oh yeah,most of them INSIST on tipping me and wouldn't consider using any other service!!!

Bronk
06-30-2011, 05:16
If you're the owner of the business or otherwise the person negotiating the price for the shuttle then there is no earthly reason you should expect a tip...doesn't mean you shouldn't take one if its offered though. I never tipped people who shuttled me, though I did usually offer gas money to those who gave me a free ride...and if you wanted to talk about Jesus the whole way to wherever you were shuttling me I didn't consider that a free ride.

I think people working in service jobs like waiting tables/bar should be paid a living wage, but many of them are far overpaid for what they do, especially the ones who go through the motions and don't really go out of their way to provide good service...tips are for people who go above and beyond the minimum...which is why they are optional and thus earned.

I once had a job delivering pizza where I was earning almost $20 an hour in tips on top of being paid minimum wage by the pizza shop plus being reimbursed a "delivery fee" to cover gas and vehicle maintenence. I was clearing almost $2000 a month working part time about 20 hours a week. Anybody with any sense knows that I was being overpaid for the job.

I've known women who put themselves through college waiting tables and then took a pay cut when they got their first teaching job.

I'm not real sure a % of the total bill is the fair way to figure a tip. If you're a waitress working 4 tables an hour with an average $50 check, 15% of that would be $30 an hour, or $62,000 a year. If I were most people, I'd be thinking to myself "this lady is making more money than I do and all she's doing is refilling my coffee every 10 minutes."

birchy
06-30-2011, 06:41
We also do not expect tips for a Shuttle. We shuttle hikers at .20 per mile, or a flat rate if it was a last minute pick up. I have been tipped, but I feel that the fee is what I said it would be when you entered the vehicle.

earlyriser26
06-30-2011, 07:49
Depends, I have given no tip when it is a full time business, like one shuttle service in the Shenny's to as much as a $60 tip for a $40 ride when it was more of a service to hikers.

Chomp09
06-30-2011, 09:41
Well that's you back!!! I ain't the cheapest around & don't try to be because you get what you pay for!!! Maybe that's why people appreciate my newer,cleaner,more comfortable,& safer vehicles. Not to mention the fact that I'm not a boozer,druggie,or any other kind of unsafe driver!!! Maybe that's why many of my customers have used my service from the Atlanta Airport all the way through the Smokies and even as far north as Damascus. Oh yeah,most of them INSIST on tipping me and wouldn't consider using any other service!!!

You sir, with that seemingly arrogant attitude have just lost any future business from this hiker. There's no reason to yell about how great you think you are. It would go a lot further in my eyes if you had previous customers raving about your services on this thread. But I've yet to read any so I'm simply wagering a guess here, but I'm betting these folks who are supposedly flipping you Benjamins are either filthy rich or clueless.

Bueller...Bueller?

Skyline
06-30-2011, 09:58
We also do not expect tips for a Shuttle. We shuttle hikers at .20 per mile, or a flat rate if it was a last minute pick up. I have been tipped, but I feel that the fee is what I said it would be when you entered the vehicle.

At 20 cents per mile, you are basically a trail angel, not a businessperson. Like comparing apples and celery. Good for you to be (almost) a trail angel--the AT needs you sometimes. But many hikers also need a full-time and reliable transportation solution they can call upon and that's where the more business-oriented shuttlers also have an important role to play.

johnnybgood
06-30-2011, 10:14
I see the reason to tip for services not expected that go above and beyond , but not for doing what is already being paid for.

Shuttle drivers shouldn't imply that a tip is warranted. If you feel the need to tip - fine , otherwise the paid cost of the shuttle is enough.

BobTheBuilder
06-30-2011, 10:47
10% - 20% would be fine. If you are a flat-broke hiker, a sincere "Thank You" is probably good enough. But if you are like me and your section hikes count as your vacation for the year, pony up and pay well. This little hobby of mine would be a lot more difficult and more expensive without all the outfitters, shuttlers, hostel owners, etc. who populate the trail community.

Mountain Shuttler
06-30-2011, 19:08
You sir, with that seemingly arrogant attitude have just lost any future business from this hiker. There's no reason to yell about how great you think you are. It would go a lot further in my eyes if you had previous customers raving about your services on this thread. But I've yet to read any so I'm simply wagering a guess here, but I'm betting these folks who are supposedly flipping you Benjamins are either filthy rich or clueless.

Bueller...Bueller? I'll try to survive somehow without your business,but it may be tough!!!

Mountain Shuttler
06-30-2011, 19:14
10% - 20% would be fine. If you are a flat-broke hiker, a sincere "Thank You" is probably good enough. But if you are like me and your section hikes count as your vacation for the year, pony up and pay well. This little hobby of mine would be a lot more difficult and more expensive without all the outfitters, shuttlers, hostel owners, etc. who populate the trail community. Thanks!!! We all really appreciate folks like you who get it when so many don't!!!

hikerboy57
06-30-2011, 19:22
I still dont understand. why wouldnt you simply charge what you're worth in the first place?.Im sure if you have a good reputation, and predict mountain weather with uncanny accuracy, that people would be happy to pay what youfelt was fair. Ive never heard of tipping an owner of any business.I sell cars, and occasionally someone will offer me a tip, and unless they absolutely insist, I will refuse, telling them we've already charged them for our service.I would be insulted to accept a tip for providing a service Im getting paid for.

HiKen2011
06-30-2011, 19:37
I tip for personal services from employees but not owners. My regular barber owns his shop. I don't tip him. If one if his employees cuts my hair, I tip.

I don't know if that is Martha Stewart approved.......

I'm an excellent tipper but I tend to agree with ChinMusic on this one. Most people who DESERVE the tips are working for very little pay, tip um well!

HiKen2011
06-30-2011, 19:39
I still dont understand. why wouldnt you simply charge what you're worth in the first place?.Im sure if you have a good reputation, and predict mountain weather with uncanny accuracy, that people would be happy to pay what youfelt was fair. Ive never heard of tipping an owner of any business.I sell cars, and occasionally someone will offer me a tip, and unless they absolutely insist, I will refuse, telling them we've already charged them for our service.I would be insulted to accept a tip for providing a service Im getting paid for.

Wow, you've earned my respect my friend!

HiKen2011
06-30-2011, 19:40

Oh yeh, you're correct, charge a fair price and be done with it.

Sly
06-30-2011, 19:45

$.20 a mile barely pays for gas. Even $1 a mile, you're hardly paying for time, gas, wear & tear.

hikerboy57
06-30-2011, 20:18
We've gotten tip crazy in this country. I now see tip cups at dunkindonuts, burgerking(visit them on facebook?). and I also have a problem with people who stiff waiters /waitresses over bad food, although the service was as good as it could possibly be. they dont cook the food, they serve it. There are many service professions that pay a very small salary, and the employee relies solely on tips to earn a living. They still have to earn it, and provide you with the best service of their ability. If service at a restaurant was particularly poor, I will leave a dollar, and tell the owner why. not leaving a tip makes them think one simply forgot. By leavuing a dollar, and advising the owner to address the issue. the service will improve.Tip those people who work for tips and have earned them. But i wont tip owners.

ChinMusic
06-30-2011, 21:09
Ive never heard of tipping an owner of any business.I sell cars, and occasionally someone will offer me a tip, and unless they absolutely insist, I will refuse, telling them we've already charged them for our service.I would be insulted to accept a tip for providing a service Im getting paid for.

I am a business owner and could count on one hand (well maybe two) the numbers of times I've been tipped. In cases, like you said, where they insist I give it to my staff after they leave. It just wouldn't feel right to me. People will bring my dog treats and toys, but he's not the owner...........:D