PDA

View Full Version : How much water needed for FBC?!

Fog Horn
06-29-2011, 10:17
Hey guys,

I'm pretty set on using FBC for my upcoming Thru, but when picking out a stove I came accross the conundrum of not knowing how much water I will need. I'd like to use a Caldera Keg system, which is plenty of water for say, ramen or coffee, but I haven't done any FBC yet, and was wondering if the 1.5 cups to 2 cups from a keg would be enough for a meal, or if I need to look at some system a little bigger? The website says that the systems are the perfect size for most dehydrated meals, but I've had way too many MRE's and dehydrated meals in my day to wish to dine on them for four to five months straight.

I know I could just buy the system and try it out without looking silly on here asking silly questions, but where is the fun in that?! :rolleyes: Any help is appreciated :D

wcgornto
06-29-2011, 10:28
1.5 to 2 cups is plenty. You don't need as much water for FBC as for normal stove top (open pot) cooking. The water is all contained within the sealed freezer bag and does not evaporate. If a Knorr side calls for 16 ounces of water, I generally use around 10 ounces .

Chif
06-29-2011, 10:35
Practice at home with different meals you plan to take. You can then figure out how much water you will need to heat for an average meal. 2 cups will usually be enough unless you have multiple courses or ingredients. I write the amount of water needed on the outside of each meal bag with a sharpie when I package it. Practice at home is also important b/c the amount of water listed on pasta sides, etc. may be much more than you really need. Good Luck.

LDog
06-29-2011, 10:35
'Course it depends on what you're making, and how much ... but in a quick scan of the book, I see water amounts ranging from 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups.

AaronMB
06-29-2011, 10:54
Indeed, if you can do 2 cups for re-hydrating a meal, you'll be fine. If I'm using purchased dehydrated meals I expect to use 1-2cups and plan according to directions, of course; my own dehydrated meals (fun and satisfying to do) take 1 cup, which is nice, as it leaves that second cup for my tea/coffee.

Rocket Jones
06-29-2011, 11:20
I usually heat about 3 cups. 1 or so for my meal, 1.5 for my tea and a little left for washing up my spoon, hands, face, etc.