PDA

View Full Version : Migraine hikers

SGT Rock
02-04-2005, 16:40
I have recently started wondering about this.

I have migraine headaches occasionally, sometimes for no reason I can tell. They can come on quick, and my longest has lasted three very long days. Sensitivity to light, nausea, lethargy, and sometimes full up vomiting often accompany the pain, and I even had the lights in my vision once. I have been prescribed Imotrex and that usually works, but even after taking that I feel wiped out.

But, so far I have never had one while hiking. I don't know if it is just luck, or if something about hiking keeps them from happening. I figure someone else here on WhiteBlaze probably has the same problems and I was wondering about your experience.

The Cheat
02-04-2005, 16:50
Is there any kind of food or drink which you don't ever have while hiking but you do at home?

Two examples I can think of offhand, caffeine and wheat.

SGT Rock
02-04-2005, 16:55
Hot those two. I have coffee every morning trail or not, and I usually eat bread at home and tortillas and/or pasta on the trail, bit have wheat.

I have heard of foods that can cause it such as alcohol, chocolate, etc. But I haven't been able to nail it to anything like that. One night I can have a couple of whiskeys and not get one, or like last night, I did have one beer and this morning I had a migraine this morning when I woke up. I was not dehydrated, I pay a lot of attention to that, but there have been times I have been over hydrated.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 16:58
Might just be a combination of exercize and hydration. Typcially, one byproduct of exercize is dilation of the blood vessels. Some migranes have been traced to diminished blood supply in certain areas of the brain and the effect of vasodilation may be helping you out. Hydration is another biggie, with migranes and headaches in general. Not all, but most hikers pay special attention to water intake and consume much more than they would if sitting at home. Hydration promotes cell health and correct blood "thickness".

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Cheat
02-04-2005, 17:03
Hot those two. I have coffee every morning trail or not, and I usually eat bread at home and tortillas and/or pasta on the trail, bit have wheat.

I have heard of foods that can cause it such as alcohol, chocolate, etc. But I haven't been able to nail it to anything like that. One night I can have a couple of whiskeys and not get one, or like last night, I did have one beer and this morning I had a migraine this morning when I woke up. I was not dehydrated, I pay a lot of attention to that, but there have been times I have been over hydrated.
Old Milwaukee gives me a headache.

Footslogger
02-04-2005, 17:05
I was not dehydrated, I pay a lot of attention to that, but there have been times I have been over hydrated.========================================= ===
Hey Rock ...not sure how you determine the above but just know that most of us (hikers or not) are "behind" when it comes to hydration. If we don't take in enough water our body robs it from our cells. You can have "clear & copius" urine and still be clinically dehydrated. Alcohol requires water in order to be metabolized. So, chance are that when you had a beer or two or a couple shots of hootch you actually were in a "sub clinical" state of dehydration. Only way to know for sure is to have your blood checked. If we drink too much water in a short period we flood the system and some gets dumped out throught the kidneys instead of fully replenishing our systems. It's kinda like one of those cat's/dogs rain storms that hit the ground so fast the water can't be absorbed and it runs off into the sewer instead of sinking in and feeding the soil.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Groucho
02-04-2005, 17:05
I have recently started wondering about this.

I have migraine headaches occasionally, sometimes for no reason I can tell. They can come on quick, and my longest has lasted three very long days. Sensitivity to light, nausea, lethargy, and sometimes full up vomiting often accompany the pain, and I even had the lights in my vision once. I have been prescribed Imotrex and that usually works, but even after taking that I feel wiped out.

But, so far I have never had one while hiking. I don't know if it is just luck, or if something about hiking keeps them from happening. I figure someone else here on WhiteBlaze probably has the same problems and I was wondering about your experience.

I had them in high school with few attacks since then. You have my sympathy. When I read your post I thought that I had heard about botox relieving migrane pain. Looked up on google to make sure. Here is a link. I've only scanned it. Of course, I don't know if you would consider it, but if I still had migranes often enough, I'd look into it, if it were safe.

http://www.botox-cosmetic-surgery.com/news_botox_beats_migranes.htm

Alligator
02-04-2005, 17:15
Eye strain from the computer? Do you have a monitor screen? Refocusing at some far distance will relax the eyes. I used to get headaches sometimes, not intense enough to classify as migraines. I have a dual monitor system now, which helps by shifting where I'm looking. I also have a monitor screen on the monitor and the other screen is a laptop, which is LCD (much softer it seems on the eyes).

SGT Rock
02-04-2005, 17:30
I have a laptop for work (which I am on now) and a monitor for my home PC. I haven't looked at that relationship. I do know that when I was heavy into putting time into site development at Hiking HQ I would get migraines, so that is a possibility. I have also been away from that computer and still gotten them, but that could be another cause.

ga>me>ak
02-04-2005, 17:30
My sister- inlaw gets these all the time, really severe. Shell fish, MSG,wine, certain beers,chocolate, and other foods trigger hers. I've read a few articles about using oxygen, however, most doctors scoff at the idea. I do have 2 friends who claim it helps them. Bought my s/law an oxygen tank to see if it helps, she used it for 2 mins, said it didn't help and never touched it again. I believe in most states you have to have a script for oxygen, FWIW.
If you try it and it helps, I do have a tank not being used.
Also, my inlaws in Alaska would get 3-4 migraines a month. They said they started taking the herb,Yallow(I think, I can find out for sure) and claim they only get 1-2 a year now. Hope some of this might be useful.

Kevin A. Boyce
02-04-2005, 17:40
I am a fellow migraine suffer as well... In fact they go back at least 4 generations in my family.

I have tried to figure out if they are diet related, stress related, environmental, but luckily they come on only a few times a year, and so, I cannot make an decent conclusion as to mine. I worry about them a lot though as I have the kind that constrict the optical nerve and I lose sight in one eye for a while, usually less then an hour.

I used to take Imitrex as well, it worked wonders for me, but now with some medications I was on, I don't anymore. (I should follow up on that) I have found that the OTC Advil or Tylenol migraine remedies work sometimes, so I always keep them at hand, I also like Aleve for my bad headaches. I know as soon as I get spots in my vision, and my peripheral vision starts to get shallow, I know I have about a half hour to get home, crawl into bed and get ready for the fun.

Personally someone asked me how it felt and I commented it is like some hitting you in the head with a 2x4 over and over and over....

As for remedies, and how I deal with them when I have had them on the trail, well, I usually try to hunker down in my sleeping bag, pop a few pills, and hope it will be quick or that I can sleep. I also, and this is just me, like a cold compress on my head. Does it work? Who knows, does it make me comfortable (If that is possible), yes.

I am lucky in that my hiking and climbing partners know about my history with them, and if I get one while I am out, will steer clear of me, keep the noise low, and will be kind until it passes.

I am interested in hearing other's comments.
KevBoy

SGT Rock
02-04-2005, 17:53
KevBoy,

Sorry to hear that Imitrex isn't available for you anymore. I usually try off the shelf migraine stuff before I go to it sort of like you do, but if I end up needing the Imitrex it has always worked. I carry about 6 in my first aid kit just in case.

I know what you mean about laying down, when it is going hard, that is the only thing I want to do, and in a nice dark place. Not only is the pain like getting hit in the head, but I also would say it is like getting instant flu since I can regulate heat well, always too hot or too cold, and the overwhelming desire to vomit and just get it over with even though you know in your mind that it will just come back in a half hour or so.

PKH
02-04-2005, 17:59
Like you sarge, I have never been able to pin down a reliable cause of my headaches. I read that there are many foods that can do the damage but I have never been able to make the link. Fortunately mine are not that debilitating although they sure do take the joy outof the day. On the other hand, I have them quite frequently or at least I have been lately. Interestingly, during my six week hike last summer I had a headache twice in the first few days, and then was free for the rest of hike. I've often thought that hydration was the answer as I actually tend to drink more water on the trail than I do at home, but in the end I am just not sure. For me the best solution is to take three extra strength aspirin as soon as I feel the slightest signs coming on. If you have migraines you'll know what I mean. There is always some little precursor. Then it's important to get my head down as soon as possible.

Cheers, and headache free hiking,

PKH

MadAussieInLondon
02-04-2005, 19:04
hi rock, I and my wife-to-be get migranes, her more worse than I. both had one each on our o4 attempt.

she got hers while we were in Hot springs and it was coooold. I got mine at 4 pines hostel and it was hot. Each time we took a zero and hiked the day after with no ill effects.

not fun when it happens. cant really predict it. I only took about 4 ibuprofen on the entire time I was out there...

orangebug
02-04-2005, 20:09
Rock, since you have been offered the Imitrex I know you have seen some sort of a physician. I don't know how frequently you have these severe headaches, or whether these are migraines. There are a number of things that can be involved, some of those can kill you.

Even Imitrex has some significant risks. Very significant.

If you have these more than once or twice annually, I'd encourage you to go see a neurologist and get a better examination. I'd hate bad things happen for you.

We have another member (who is currently on a shake down walk) who has had stroke and last year's thru attempt halted by severe migraine. I hope he gets back and gets to respond with his experience.

Sleepy the Arab
02-04-2005, 20:20
I feel your pain Rock. I get 'em too. They last about a day, and have pretty much the same symptoms as you (aura, splitting head pain, vomiting and narcolepsy) , although I have never had one last more than a day. One of the things that helped prevent them was to quit eating deli meats (cold turkey, if you will). Apparently the nitrates (nitrites?) can trigger them, and by doing so, lessened the frequency of the migraine. Curiously, in the past 5 months the frequency has gone back up, and I just saw a doctor who gave me a prescription for Imitrex.

While I have had them during a thru-hike, I have never had them while hiking, and considering the miles I've done, this is worth noting. When I get them, it has always been before I started the day's mileage, or during a zero (fun!). Furthermore, there are never as debilitating out on the trail as they are when I am at home. I got one this past June at Woodshole just before breakfast, but still managed to eat with Tillie, make polite conversation, and then hike the 10 miles to Pearisburg.

SGT Rock
02-04-2005, 22:53
Rock, since you have been offered the Imitrex I know you have seen some sort of a physician. I don't know how frequently you have these severe headaches, or whether these are migraines. There are a number of things that can be involved, some of those can kill you.

Even Imitrex has some significant risks. Very significant.

If you have these more than once or twice annually, I'd encourage you to go see a neurologist and get a better examination. I'd hate bad things happen for you.

We have another member (who is currently on a shake down walk) who has had stroke and last year's thru attempt halted by severe migraine. I hope he gets back and gets to respond with his experience.

I have the same concern. I only go to Imitrex as a last resort. The good thing is often I can go for months without a migraine, but on the bad side I can get them every day for a week long stretch. I only take Imitrex when one gets really bad. Usually they go away within an hour or two after taking one, but afterwords I am usually feeling very drained.

I did get MRIs and such done a couple of years ago and there was nothing on them. I also had some sort of brain scan done because I am loosing some hearing (more to do with my profession than anything) and the doctor had some tests run to make sure there was nothing neurological involved with the hearing loss and migraines. I have a doctor's appointment next week, I will bring it up.

orangebug
02-04-2005, 23:51
"...the doctor had some tests run to make sure there was nothing neurological involved with the hearing loss and migraines..."

By definition, there is something neurological going on. What he did was to attempt to prove it wasn't something lethal _and_ neurological. This is good.

My suspicion is that you have something going on that makes dehydration and heat a big more of a problem than for the average bear. My other suspicion is that blood pressure might be a problem, and would encourage you to consider borrowing or buying a lightweight wrist BP cuff for your next section. Make a plan on checking BP at 10AM and 4PM. Write it down. Check again is your headache begins. This may be stress related, even if you are a super fit gungho dogfaced grunt.

DMA, 2000
02-05-2005, 02:44
Not that it would do you any good on a hike, but the wife of a friend suffers from severe migraines and has found Botox to be a godsend. (She's young and pretty, and wouldn't otherwise have any use for it yet). Compared to drugs she has taken, the side effects are a lot more mild. Particularly as they are increasingly interested in pregnancy, and she wants to avoid the other drugs, Botox has been a good option.

A-Train
02-05-2005, 03:16
Rock,

Just a thought, but could it be allergies? I found out after my thru-hike that I had serious allergies to things like pollens, trees, dust, molds etc. and I often get sinus infections and headaches and feel crumby, on and off trail. Might be worth getting checked out for. Many allergies come and go and can affect you for a few years of your life.

The Hog
02-05-2005, 10:58
Recent research indicates that migraine sufferers (especially those who suffer visual effects), are more prone to having strokes. So, you need to get a handle on this. One thing you can do is try to figure out what is causing the headaches in the first place, by experimentation. One by one, drop things from your diet that you suspect are causing the migraines.

I LOVE coffee and beer. Unfortunately, they no longer love me. I nearly always suffer migraines for a full day after enjoying caffeine or alcohol (even one cup of coffee or one beer). Sometimes the headache starts within minutes of imbibing, other times, an hour or more. I don't get visual effects, but sounds of any kind become quite painful. I've repeatedly experimented with going off coffee and off alcohol - I'm weak, I keep backsliding - but the headaches seem to mostly stay away when I'm clean. Little by little, I've learned that I HAVE to live without coffee and alcohol to avoid migraines. I'm not happy about that, but there it is.

Best of luck getting to the bottom of this.

Skyline
02-05-2005, 11:30
Old Milwaukee gives me a headache.

And Mickey's Malt Liquor gives me the shyts.

Streamweaver
02-05-2005, 11:31
How are your sinuses sarge?? i get bad migraines and the docs confimed it was due to my sinuses.i also dont get them when hiking except a couple times at night when i didnt take sinus meds. i think the fact that your blood circulates better when your hiking has alot to do with it and also you tend to remember to drink plenty of fluids and that helps keep things flowing. streamweaver

Lugnut
02-05-2005, 11:53
Rock, I get what is called occular migraines. This amounts to about a fifteen minute light show and then it's over, no pain with it. I have noticed that this is triggered by repetitive images, ie, ceiling fan blades, some fluorescent lights, the white lines on the road or telephone poles going by, etc. Since there none of these kinds of condidtions in the woods I have never had any incidents. Yours could be caused by the same triggers which would explain your not having any problems when out hiking. :-?

WalkingBird
05-06-2005, 22:50
SGT Rock
I also get migraines, and hate to hear of others going through that. Mine can last a few hours to several weeks. The number one cause is to littel sleep. If I get 1/2 hour to an hour to littel sleep each night in a few weeks I'll get a migraine. It will come on slowly, so after years of dealing with it I've finaly figured out one of the causes. (To littel sleep can slip up on you, I've always got a million things I'd like to do.) Number two cause is stress, most times job related. Thoes come on fast are worse and last longer. I take "Excedrin Migraine", which is asprin and caffeine. It works for me. and does not make me sick as so many of the medications I've tryed do. But I need to get some sleep as soon as possible in the first case. In the second, I need to be aware of the cause, call it to mind and deal with it and relax. I've found if my teeth hurt in the morning it's stress. If not, and I get up only at the alarm, it's too littel sleep.
I have managed at times to make a deal with my body, and tell it "if you will hold off the migraine for just a few hours I'll get this important work done and go home and go to bed". It's worked a time or two. But believe me you got to keep the promise!
Sometimes I get them and don't know why. Sometimes I go for a year or two and never get one, and sometimes I get them several in a month. Go figure.
Anyway you might try the "Excedrin for Migraine"
Hope it helps.

WalkingBird

Happypappy
05-07-2005, 09:02
About the only thing I can do for mine is BED... Dark, quiet, very still. I know that beer can cause it, haven't had one of those in over 10 years. Also, you might check to see how stressed are your neck and shoulder muscles. I have spinal arthritis, and sometimes the pain causes me to sort of clench the neck and shoulder muscles. After time, these muscles are just too stressed, and this can and will trigger migraines. I was told this by a neurologist. She demonstrated a little exercise technique that seems to help: sit upright in a chair with your feel flat, thighs on a horizontal; lay your hands on your knees, palms up and slowly rotate your head while stretching your neck forward and backward, and side to side. This really has helped lower my migraine incidents quite a bit.

SGT Rock
05-07-2005, 09:47
I think you are right about the beer, I love beer but it seems to ALWAYS give me a headache although not always a migraine. I'll keep an eye on that. Luckily whiskey doesn't have that effect.

The Hog
05-07-2005, 09:52
I often get migraines from beer and wine (as a consequence, I rarely drink anymore), and from too much coffee and tea (I've cut way back on both). If I start getting migraines from sex, it's time to call Dr. Kevorkian.

My wife also gets migraines from alcohol; additionally, she gets 'em from diesel exhaust, gasoline vapors and other chemical triggers.

JoeHiker
05-09-2005, 11:56
It's the exercise.

I have been running competitively since I was 12 years old (25 years ago). I have not had a headache since I was 12 years old. Seriously, not a single one, ever since.

Unless you count hangovers - but even the few of those I've had went away once I went running.

The next time you feel one coming on, see if you can't go out for a run or a walk. I'll be it fades.

PKH
05-09-2005, 12:22
Joehiker,

I'm afraid you're wrong Joe. Only a man who has never felt a migraine coming on could suggest this.

I too have been running since I was able.

If only it was that simple.

Cheers,

PKH

The Hog
05-09-2005, 14:10
Maybe running isn't an instant, total cure for everybody, but it has definitely helped me and my wife. My wife had a migraine yesterday, but it was mostly gone after we went for a three mile jog. I have also been helped by getting out and jogging.

JoeHiker
05-09-2005, 15:53
Joehiker,

I'm afraid you're wrong Joe. Only a man who has never felt a migraine coming on could suggest this.

I too have been running since I was able.

If only it was that simple.
Actually I first heard it suggested by a victim of chronic migraines shortly after he joined my running group.

I did not mean to imply that I had the end-all, be-all of headache cures or that exercise could prevent all headaches. But getting your blood moving and oxygen pumping through your system very often does wonders for a headache. For many with headaches, this is a useful remedy. For others, not so much. Sorry it doesn't help you. I feel lucky by comparison.

The fact that Rock has noticed he never gets such headaches while hiking is enough for me.

Sleepy the Arab
05-09-2005, 15:54
Aw man, I hate running. I only do it when being chased, and even then only grudgingly. Maybe I can smack the rottweiler next door and let him loose.

SGT Rock
05-09-2005, 18:02
Actually I first heard it suggested by a victim of chronic migraines shortly after he joined my running group.

I did not mean to imply that I had the end-all, be-all of headache cures or that exercise could prevent all headaches. But getting your blood moving and oxygen pumping through your system very often does wonders for a headache. For many with headaches, this is a useful remedy. For others, not so much. Sorry it doesn't help you. I feel lucky by comparison.

The fact that Rock has noticed he never gets such headaches while hiking is enough for me.
Well I run too, but that doesn't help the headaches, but I also HATE to run. When I am experiencing a full blown migrane, all I want to do is crawl under a rock and sleep, I can't imagine going for a three mile run:datz

Happypappy
05-09-2005, 18:11
It's the exercise.

The next time you feel one coming on, see if you can't go out for a run or a walk. I'll be it fades.

Afraid it doesn't work for me, either. One of the worst migraines I have ever had come on during a hike. For those of whom it does help, I am happy for you.

Sly
05-09-2005, 18:20
Clusterbusters!! (http://www.clusterbusters.com) It really works!! Pain free for 18 months now! :banana

smokymtnsteve
05-09-2005, 22:32
I think you are right about the beer, I love beer but it seems to ALWAYS give me a headache although not always a migraine. I'll keep an eye on that. Luckily whiskey doesn't have that effect.

well YA know what I think! ;)

JoeHiker
05-09-2005, 22:36
Well I run too, but that doesn't help the headaches, but I also HATE to run. When I am experiencing a full blown migrane, all I want to do is crawl under a rock and sleep, I can't imagine going for a three mile run:datzYeah not many people like it the way I do. I run 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. I honestly can't get enough. I like nothing better than going out for a 20 miler. But I've always been odd like that. (Anyway, one nice side effect of all the running I do is that having all those miles in your legs sure makes hiking a bunch of miles per day a snap!)

While running might not be your thing, I'm not ready to give up on my theory just yet. When you go on a 3 mile run, you're done in a relatively short time -- like half an hour, right? And you aren't running every day, right? So relatively speaking, it's a brief period of time.

But when you are hiking, you are exercising -- albeit less strenuously -- for hours on end. Your heart rate it elevated and your blood is pumping all day. And you have no migraines. Can that just be coincidence? If it's not that, then I'm not sure what to point to for you, Rock. Do you have any theories on why hiking seems to be your headache cure?

SGT Rock
05-09-2005, 22:47
I am not sure now, but I think it is for about three things:

1. I sleep better when I hike. Last migraine I got was last week when I was working 7 days a week for 12-36 hours at a stretch and spent the night until past midnight catching up on a college course. The next morning I woke up with a migraine. I took some migraine formula Excedrin and went back to sleep.

2. I eat regular meals and stay hydrated when I hike. Sometime when I skip meals I can feel one come on. I think it may have something to do with blood sugar or something.

3. No stress. I don't have to worry about phones, computers, work schedules, bills, promotions, etc. All I worry about is if I want to eat lunch on a mountain or by a creek and if I plan to make a dry camp or keep walking until I find water.

Exercise may fit into #3. I know that if I get mad enough to want to kill someone, I can run 2 miles and get good heart rate up and build a nice sweat and I feel much better. Some of my best 2 mile run times I have turned in on the PT test have been when I was ultra pissed-off at the start of the run. So constant exercise when hiking can help reduce stress. You know how you get in that reflective zen like state as you walk? If a bad thought from the past creeps in I'll pick up the pace until it goes away.

Granger
05-19-2005, 12:38
Rock,

I deal with migraines as well. For the most part I have been lucky avoiding them while backpacking but the one time a major one hit was in the middle of SW VA and I had nothing with me to dull it except for IB. I spent the remainder of teh afternoon and night in my tent trying to get rid of the headache and was feeling the effects for 2 days after. It made for miserable hiking.

For me the main triggers are hydration and food. Food more or less takes care of itself on backpacking trips as I eat pretty regularly.

The two things that I do now (that I didn't do then) is to drink more water then I used to. Hydration issues were the major cause of my headaches. I carry a hydration system and drink constantly. I'm sure I consume much more water then necessary but I have not had one since. An example of typical water intake would be:

14 miles
Temp 85 degrees, Sunny (early season so there was little to no leaf cover)
SW VA from Jenkins Shelter to Helveys Mill

Drink enough water before start to rehydrate. For me this is about 2 of the 32 ozs nalgene canteens (they hold about 40 ozs)
Drank 3/4 of my 100 oz hydration bladder before lunch (8 miles in)
Drink 2 more nalgenes at lunch
Drank all of the 100 ozs for the remaining 6 miles
Drank 3 more nalgenes during evening

Total intake: 455 ozs of water in a day or just about 3 and a half gallons

This is a bit extreme for most but for me (5' 10, 225 lbs) this is what it takes to avoid the headaches. Now the above isn't gospel to me but just an example of how much water I take in on a given day

The other thing I do is to carry 2 treatments of Imitrex with me. I'm not sure if your familar with this prescription but when you start to feel the migraine coming you take one tablet and it more or less aborts the headache. I still feel run down if I get to this point but I am not rendered out of commission like I would have been if the headache hit full force.

I'm not sure if this helps but this is what I do to prevent them

good luck,
Granger

Miss Daisy
06-21-2005, 22:23
Try Zomig...it works better and you don't get the "fuzzies" (at least that's my experience....)....I get migraines from allergies, lack of sleep and stress (no wonder I gave up law enforcement)....Sometimes if you can get caffeine in you quick ( a coke or strong coffee) :datz you might be able to knock a minor one out but if it takes hold....grab the Zomig.....

Good luck!

Miss Daisy

Nightwalker
06-24-2005, 03:22
Try Zomig...it works better and you don't get the "fuzzies."
Zomig works really well if you use it fast. Sometimes, however, it'll make me antsy, speed up my heart, etc. Kind of like an adrenaline reaction.

Sly
06-24-2005, 08:36
Shrooms Frank, shrooms.

One gram (dry) as the intial dose, and another a week later. But first you need to detox off those nasty pharmaceudicals.

The Theory of Hallucinogens as a Treatment for Cluster Headaches

The hallucinogenic substances are close enough to serotonin in structure that they fool serotonin receptors into bonding with them. This is a known factual property of these drugs. There may be an element of how the individuals body responds. In some cases, LSD has worked as a treatment where mushrooms have failed and vice versa. There may also be a factor of previous drug history, such as use of triptans, methysergide and ergotamine.

Nobody knows the exact mechanism for episodic cluster headaches (chronics are actually easier to comprehend). It may be that a chemical imbalance or erratic release of neurotransmitters slowly takes place in the brain. Over a period of time this reaches a threshold whereby it begins to cause headaches. The headaches gradually become more painful and more frequent until a peak is reached. From that point they subside as the imbalance or erratic release is addressed. The headaches may even be the mechanism to facilitate this, however this is unlikely as it does nothing to explain the existence of chronics.

The hallucinogens may shock the body into resetting this imbalance or erratic release ahead of schedule. The favourite analogy is that of an old tube radio slowly drifting off station that periodically requires a sharp whack on the side to keep it in check. -----

More info (http://www.clusterbusters.com)

gsingjane
06-24-2005, 09:26
Hi Rock, my husband is also a migraine-sufferer and I would like to second the recommendation for Aleve. He finds, as do you, that the prescription drugs knock him right out (that is if they work at all) but has had terrific success with the Aleve. He also finds that he needs to shield his eyes from light more than the average person; apparently an excess of light (or noise) can bring the headaches on as well. I don't know if you consistently wear sunglasses or a brimmed hat on the trail but this may help also.

Best of luck to you,

Jane in CT

dream
07-17-2005, 16:51
============================================
Hey Rock ...not sure how you determine the above but just know that most of us (hikers or not) are "behind" when it comes to hydration. If we don't take in enough water our body robs it from our cells. You can have "clear & copius" urine and still be clinically dehydrated. Alcohol requires water in order to be metabolized. So, chance are that when you had a beer or two or a couple shots of hootch you actually were in a "sub clinical" state of dehydration. 'Slogger
AT 2003

Actually this is wrong according to recent studies , I quote the Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate” (2004),Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine panel report.

"Most healthy individuals can maintain adequate hydration by letting thirst be their guide.......Prolonged exercise and heat exposure increase water loss, and therefore may raise daily fluid needs...

and for you prohibitionists out there....

Despite concerns that caffeine and alcohol have a diuretic effect, the report said beverages such as coffee, tea, and alcohol can count towards daily fluid intake. The panel said that the diuretic effect “may be transient in nature” and that there is no convincing evidence that it leads to cumulative total body water deficits.

also regarding the Myth of Clear Copious urine.(for healthy folks means excessively frequent and inconvenient). The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and Institute of Medicine (IOM) say about urine color......

The report also makes mention of active people avoiding excessive fluid consumption which may, in the extreme, result in hyponatremia. While hyponatremia is a rare occurrence, it is a dangerous condition that may arise when athletes drink too much water, diluting the body’s sodium levels. It is most often seen in prolonged endurance athletes, such as those participating in marathons and triathlons........Water and sports drinks are not dangerous to athletes when consumed as recommended – in volumes approximating sweat losses........Your best bet is to monitor urine color and frequency of urination. Pale yellow urine is a good sign that plenty of fluid is on board for waste excretion. (But don't judge your urine color within a few hours after taking vitamin supplements, since the unused vitamins, particularly the B vitamin riboflavin, turn your urine a bright yellow.

there is tons and tons of new evidence that the articles in "Outside" magazine and "Mens Health and Fitness" are wrong and the makers of Gatorade , Powerade that advertise in these magazines don't want you to know. Theres tons of studies that debunk the pissing clear myth and that alcohol and caffiene in moderation are dieuretics. so If you are pissing clear then YOU should get a blood test , a Sodium Serum Level to be specific. do a search on Hyponutriema if you don't believe me yet.

Triathletes and marathoners , and Ultramarathoners are dropping dead every year from over hydration/hyponutriemia. plenty of them after having run alot less miles than a strong hiker on the AT will hike during a day.

SGT Rock
07-20-2005, 21:41
I found the drug I need today- Progenitorivox: http://www.jibjab.com/167.html

The warning label is a hoot:

Progenitorivox is not available, anywhere. Offer void in Wisconsin. Any resemblance to actual drugs, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Any unauthorized use of your judgment in the application of Progenitorivox is strictly prohibited. Progenitorivox may not be reproduced without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball. Progenitorivox may cause drowsiness or restlessness in lab animals. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery without consulting your physician. For erections lasting longer than four hours, insert your own joke here. If you experience psychotic episodes, you’re crazy. If death occurs, discontinue use of Progenitorivox immediately. If symptoms persist, consult your physician. All sales final. Batteries not included.

CynJ
09-15-2005, 23:02
I have gotten migraines since I was 12 - no rhyme or reason -just a feeling like someone is driving a stake into the right side of my brain. On many occasions I actually lose all vision in my right eye. I get all the accompying symptoms of nausea, sensitivity to light & noise, etc.

I have had tests out the whazzooo to determine the cause - so far its not a tumor, nor any other physical problem within the brain that they can find. Its not allergies, its not food sensitivity. So we are all clueless. I just get'em and they knock me on my can for a day or so.

I've tried many different prescription meds nothing really helps. Most of the over-the-counter stuff doesn't do anything. The only thing that gets rid of them (or at least lessens them to the point I can at least function) is Excedrin. I'm getting really good at sensing when a migraine is coming on and will take my 4 Excedrin immediately to ward it off. Really bad ones require a lot of Exedrin and a lot of sleep.

So in my pack will be a bottle of "Vitamin X" instead of "Vitamin I" lol

hotfoot
12-28-2005, 23:07
I've read all these posts with interest because I get full-blown nasty migraines. I can tell you 3 things that, when all are in alignment, will virtually guarantee a migraine for me: lack of good sleep, moderate dehydration, and lack of exercise.

I've had these damn headaches for 23 years. I ran competitively in high school, college, and thereafter. If I took time off from running, was overtired and dehydrated well look out....

Now I cycle competitively and if I'm off the bike for several days AND am overtired and dehydrated, well guess what.....

I've tried everything from beta-blockers and cafergot (alleged silver bullets in the early 80's) to Imitrex. None of these drugs were/are very satisfying. Fortunately as I get older the severity and duration of pain has decreased, and the bottom line is if I take care of my body it doesn't retaliate against me with a blasting headache.

How does this relate to my experience on the trail? Out there I'm always well hydrated, even (and especially) in the summer. I sleep well in the woods, too, and as far as the exercise aspect...well....that's a done deal.

ZEKE #2
12-29-2005, 09:33
After a lifetime of experiencing migrains my doctor and I have attributed many of them to abrupt changes in the barometric pressure. I have medication that I take at the onset of the headaches. This has been a concern to me also for my 08' hike. I have gotten migrains from dehydration, so I pay close attention to that.

mindi
04-21-2006, 00:27
I also suffer from terrible migraines that sometimes get worse with certain kinds of exercise. I've found that anything that puts strain or pressure on my neck and shoulders tends to bring them on...so maybe it could be from the way you carry your pack or your posture when you hike that could be contributing? I also get them just before my monthly cycle ends, after earing certain foods, and sometimes for no reason that I can pinpoint. Interestingly enough, they also often seem to hit after stress when I'm finally relaxed than while the stress is occurring.
I haven't heard anyone mention Midrin (generic name Amidrine)..my doctor prescribed them for my migraines a few months ago because he feels that they are much safer than the newer class of drugs like Imitrex. (They're also cheaper.) I've found them to work quite well.
:) Mindi

jimlux28
08-04-2015, 13:40
I'd like to pick up this thread again, if anyone is interested. I've had chronic migraines most of my life and have used (and still use) various triptans and just had my first botox treatment. I've let this impediment prevent me from thinking more seriously about potentially thru-hiking the AT, possible this coming spring. The stress of my job is a huge contributing factor and I think it might be time to drop it a while and drop out for six months or so. Has anyone lately tried doing the trail with migraines? I realize it might take a bit longer.

Right now, I'm thinking of starting in Harper's Ferry in early my, head north, and then decide whether to move up from Georgia up to WV or vice versa. Suggestions or experiences of others who have done this? I'm well aware of my "triggers" and plan to stay well nourished and well hydrated. Tenting is going to be my option as there is nothing worse than sharing space with others (noise, smoke, etc) to make a bad headache worse. Thanks! (No trail name yet, but I'm thinking of "Imitrex" ! Jim (in Durham, NC)

JumpMaster Blaster
08-04-2015, 19:50
I have been having migraines about 2 times every year, and this past month & a half was really bad with 4 episodes. The first two times I had to see a doc to get a Toradol lshot, but the 3rd time they prescribed me Fioricet, and the 4th time they precribed Maxalt. I'm supposed to take the Maxalt AS SOON as I feel a headache coming on, Tylenol, Excedrin won't cut it.

Having said that, I'm glad I never got one on the trail- that would be an immediate hike ender, period. As in, take the meds, wait a couple hours, and hitch a ride out kind of bad. It'll start out as a benign headache that only gets worse as the day goes on, then it turns to a stabbing & skull crushing pain with bouts of nausea and extreme light sensitivity like turn all the lights off in the house during the day and STILL needing to wear sunglasses.

My doc thinks it could be related to bouts of high blood pressure (or vice versa), which could be linked to stress, which is probably why I feel 100% healthier out on the trail and have LESS problems than I do at home.

Riocielo
08-04-2015, 23:07
My migraines are now down to about one a week from 15 a month (thanks to my wonderful new neurologist.) Having said that, I've never had a migraine in the trail. I think just the activity of hiking relaxes me, let's the pressures roll of my shoulders and refreshes me.

I love the trail name Imitrex, though mine would have to be "Zomig"!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

lemon b
08-05-2015, 05:18
Top, Did you have them on active duty? Might be a form of PTSD that just manifests itself when in crowds and out of the bush.
Not surprised they leave when you hike. Good luck finding the key. Your a Rock and will hopefully sooner rather than later.

Riocielo
08-15-2015, 23:16
I, too, am a migraneur, usually having four to six a month. Yet I have never had one on the trail. I carry my Zomig nasal spray with me in case I do, but so far I have never needed it while hiking.

Maybe I should just stay on the trail! :)