PDA

View Full Version : New boots online?

joec
06-29-2011, 11:09
I want to buy a new pair of boots. I have trail runners and a heavy leather pair of boots. I want to have a medium weight boot that I can buy online that has a good reputation for breaking in easy and being a good boot. Any suggestions? I wear a 13 1/2 narrow.

Feral Bill
06-29-2011, 11:15
Your choices are few in that size. New Balance, mostly, if not entirely. Normally I's say buy in person but that's a log shot. Buy from a store with a 100% return policy.

Rocket Jones
06-29-2011, 11:15
I strongly suggest that you go to an outfitter or sporting goods store and try boots on in person. Heck, go to more than one because any single place won't carry all brands/models. There's no substitute for putting a boot on and walking around with it to know if it fits right.

You can always buy online *after* you find the right boot. I'll do that for my followup boots, but I bought the original pair from the store that fit me.

Mr. BuffaloMan
06-29-2011, 11:55
I simpathize. I live in an area of the country with NO hiking outfitters. I bought my boots online and had a pretty good experience, but I would strongly recommend making a trip to an outfitter that can provide a good few options. Make a day of it.

Blissful
06-29-2011, 11:59
I have bought boots online also and did ok with it. I bought Salomon mid weight hikers

rsmout
06-29-2011, 12:39
I recommend www.sierratradingpost.com, where I purchased my Asolo FSN 85s and 95s (goretex). My street shoe size is men's 9.5 medium. I ordered FSN 85s and 95s in 10M and 10.5 medium, and wore them around the house for about a couple of weeks. STP asks that you don't wear anything outside if you think you might return the items. I found that the size 10M FSN85 and FSN95 were too narrow, with a very narrow toe box, so I sent those back for $6.00 in shipping using their express return service. The goretex (FSN 95) also felt too hot. The FSN 85 in 10.5.W, also worn for a week, were just right; I sent back the FSN 9s5 in 10.5W.

The advantage to wearing the boots around the house was that I could see how they might feel before I took them on the trail for a break-in. You can't do that in a store - you can only stay in there for a day, or less, and then you have to go home without the boots.

The exception to this is REI, and perhaps L. L. Bean and Cabela's. With REI, you can exchange or get a refund on most items even if you took them on the trail, for a week or more. I think they might even pro-rate a refund based on what they could get on their attic sales (well-used equipment and clothing) if you put a lot of miles on them. I've seen some boots in those sales that look like they had several hundred miles on them.

After hiking from Harper's Ferry WV to Front Royal VA in three stages, I thought that the Asolo FSN 85 boot was better for my ankles than my Vasque Breeze Low trail shoe. This section included the Roller Coaster, a 13-mile stretch with lots of ups and downs and lots of rocks. I didn't feel like I was paying a weight penalty with the boots. I did pull my Achilles tendon in the trail runners.

So, if you're going to order boots on-line, check the vendor's refund policy before you buy and order at least two sizes, definitely a half-size and up to a full size larger than your street shoe size. I wore Smartwool lightweight crew socks over Injini wool toe socks (no toe blisters with Injini!).

Good luck!

Spokes
06-29-2011, 15:14
I strongly suggest that you go to an outfitter ......

I agree with RJ- go to an outfitter.

k2basecamp
06-29-2011, 16:31
Www.LLBean.com excellent backpacking boot and comes in widths

jeremiah j
06-29-2011, 23:41
take a look at Vasque Breeze gtx-worked good for me, I wear a size 14 narrow boot and these boots are cut on the narrow side.

Mr. Clean
06-30-2011, 05:16
A guy I work with orders from Zappos, but I always go to a store to try them on. He says you can keep sending them back and they will keep sending you boots until you are satisfied. Shipping both ways is free with labels they send. I believe it's overnite shipping.
But I'd still recommend trying them on at a knowledgable store.

joec
06-30-2011, 09:50
Www.LLBean.com (http://Www.LLBean.com) excellent backpacking boot and comes in widths

I have an old pair of Cresta Hikers. They are excellent but I want a mid size/weight boot. These are extremely heavy when wet, unless they have changed as I have an old pair.