PDA

View Full Version : What's for Lunch?

paistes5
06-29-2011, 12:39
Just curious what you do for lunch on those long hikes. Do you break out the stove and make a meal or do you go with some crackers or something like that?

Spokes
06-29-2011, 12:44
I tend to snack during lunch. A candy bar, power bar, fruit roll-up, cheese and beef stick, maybe even a foil pack of tuna on a piece of flat bread could all be on the menu.

tiptoe
06-29-2011, 13:26
i generally snack throughout the day, but at lunchtime I take a longer break, especially if I'm at an overlook. The food is still snack food, but with boots and socks off, a nice view, and, more often than not, a good conversation, it feels more like a meal.

30 Large
06-29-2011, 13:39
Beef jerky, trail mix, Clif bar. I keep it light because I usually snack on a regular basis while on the trail. I break out the stove only on cold days if I want something hot.

RevLee
06-29-2011, 14:36
Clif bar with peanut butter and some form of dried fruit. Typically my only break for the day with the pack off. Mid-morning snack is a Snickers bar, mid-afternoon is typically nuts.

hikerboy57
06-29-2011, 14:54
I usually snack through the afternoon-clif bars, trail mix.dried fruit.The only time I gt the stove out for lunch is if its cold and I need hot coca/coffee/soup.

shelb
06-29-2011, 21:43
The food is still snack food, but with boots and socks off, a nice view, and, more often than not, a good conversation, it feels more like a meal.

Just curious, I always feel like I will have a difficult time putting boots/socks back on if I take them off mid-day. Does anyone else do this?

moldy
06-29-2011, 21:51
A pack of 10 will last me 5 days. I have 2 tortillia's each day for lunch. day 1 will have a flat pack or tuna and a pack of mayo. day 2 peanut butter and jelly. day 3 bacon chunks and dried tomatoes and a pack of picante sauce. day 4 a flat pack of sliced pepperoni, dried tomatoes and some taco bell sauce. day 5 a pack of tortillia stuffing mix.

map man
06-29-2011, 22:09
I am on a slow drip of snacks all day and never eat a lunch as such. I eat Clif Bars and gorp all day long every hour or two starting a couple hours after breakfast. I feel like I am less likely to have peaks and valleys in my blood sugar (and a more constant energy level) when I do it this way.

Mongoose2
06-29-2011, 22:12
My fav.....Bagle and PB and J

RevLee
07-04-2011, 15:29
Just curious, I always feel like I will have a difficult time putting boots/socks back on if I take them off mid-day. Does anyone else do this?

With trail runners I never really feel the need to take them off until evening. Or until a nice cool stream appears.