PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent

30 Large
06-29-2011, 14:30
I currently use the MSR Hubba 1P and find it's a great tent, but I am a rather large guy coming in at 6'4 and about 265. The Hubba can get a bit cramped inside for me. I also sleep very hot and I find that when I have the rainfly on, the Hubba gets very stuffy inside. There isn't a ton of ventilation.

I recently met a thru-hiker up at Mount Rogers that was using a Tarptent Contrail. He absolutely swore by it, but I would like to get a couple more opinions that might be floating out there before committing to the purchase.

Do any of you have experience with or are currently using any of the Tarptent models? I like the Contrail because you use your trekking poles and it appears to have decent ventilation all around the bottom. As well as being a bit roomier than the Hubba.

Sue_Bird
06-29-2011, 18:16
my hiking partner Steam was 6 foot 6 and switched to the Tarptent Rainbow halfway through the AT from the BA Seedhouse. He liked the space a lot more and the fact that you can "porch" out the door on your hiking poles, whih helps with condensation. He did sometimes complain about condensation/misting inside the tent when it wasn't porched and it was pouring rain--I had the exact same tent though and never had any issue with misting (although I'm 5 foot 5 and generally a much smaller person).

Tarptents are great weight/functionality compromises and I've rarely if ever heard any serious complaints from anyone who knew what they were talking about (someone threw a brand-new Rainbow into the hiker box at Neels Gap in a fit of rage when i went through due to not knowing how to pitch it correctly--Dad's Grin fished it out and sent it to his son). Tons of people thru-hike with them--you get a lot of space for your weight.

pyroman53
06-29-2011, 18:45
I have the Contrail. I like it. (6'3") Based on the MANY discussions on this and other forums that I have read, folks seem to like the Contrail, Rainbow, and Moment about equally. There are other manufacturers of "tarptents" that have a large fan base as well. Try the Search function (for tarptent) and you will get more than enough opinions on the subject. Seems each sub-species has its advantages.

Mr Breeze
06-29-2011, 18:49
I would also suggest looking at Lightheart Gear. Their solo tent has plenty of room for one plus gear, and they also make a model especially for taller hikers. I own a lightheart Solo, and have been happy with the performance and the ventillation all around.

TheStu
06-29-2011, 21:06
I've got a Contrail (I'm 6'1") and really like it. I've found that getting a good pitch is a bit of an art form but easy enough to master. I'm able to set mine up as fast as a regular tent now after a little practice. And i've never had a problem with condensation. I just got back from a 6 day hike and my friend brought along his more conventional 2 man tent for us to share (2 walls and basically no ventilation) and there was more condensation in that thing than I've ever had in my Contrail. It also weighed a lot more but he was carrying it so I wasn't complaining :)

garlic08
06-29-2011, 22:14
I still have my first Contrail and it has over 6,000 miles on it. (That's about three cents per mile, so far.) You'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. It's my favorite shelter ever, by far, and I hope Henry is still making them if it ever wears out. I think the genius of the design is that there are no hoop poles to assemble, leave behind, or fail. It's absolutely reliable and nearly fail-proof. The only low point is that it takes a while to learn to pitch it perfectly.

I'll back up the caveat above that you have to know how to deal with a single wall shelter to use a tarptent successfully. The weight is a tradeoff with some extra skill. Tarptents are generally best for those who like to hike rather than camp.

map man
06-30-2011, 00:55
I've used a Tarptent Virga II (no longer made) for years now and like my tarptent almost as much as Garlic likes his;). But for a guy as big as you are maybe a two person tarptent might work better to provide enough room. The Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo might do the job for you. Plenty of WB members use it and like it and find it roomy. It uses trekking poles for support just like a lot of other tarptents. It weighs around 2.5 pounds so is a little lighter than your one person Hubba (2 pounds, 13 ounces).

Here's a link to it if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=7

rpenczek
06-30-2011, 09:08
I am 6'2" and 250. I use a TarpTent Rainbow II as my solo tent. I have also shared my space with another adult (not my size, but full size). I have had my Rainbow II is some very long lasting hard rain storms. Just two weeks ago in the Hoosier National Forest it rained hard from on Friday night from 1:00 AM to about 9:00 AM (Saturday morning). I had a little (very little) misting in my tent, but nothing got wet (or even damp). I have a liner (strip of white fabric that attaches inside the roof of a Rainbow or Rainbow II model. When I do have any misting, the moisture lands on the liner and rolls to the end and out of the tent.

Given that most of my backpacking is in Indiana, I deal with rain and humidity all the time. There is conendsation at times, but this is no more of an issue than with my conventional tents (Mountain Hardwear). Setting up under trees, away from creeks and keeping the ventiliation adjusted up high for air flow is the key (no different than a traditional tent).

My Rainbow II was purchased when I was working hard to make my load lighter. I don't believe I could go back to carrying a 5 lb tent (or even 1/2 of a 5 lb tent) again. I would purchase the Rainbow II again in a second (won't have to cuz I take care of mine, but I would). Another tarp tent that looks interesting to me is the Lunar Duo.

Red Hat
06-30-2011, 10:41
If you are intested, I have a Tarptent Rainbow I that I will sell for $100 shipped. I used it for about 10 days on my 08 hike SOBO in Maine. I switched to a hammock afterwards. It is in great condition. pm me, if interested.

skinewmexico
06-30-2011, 12:44
Great deal. If 30 Large doesn't want it, I may. But using a single wall tent requires a different skill set, which most unsatisfied users don't realize. Those same people would probably buy a Corvette, and complain it rode rough and burned thru tires.

And spraying your Tarptent with the Atsko silicone spray you get at Wallyworld stops any misting issues, while adding a couple of oz.

Big Dawg
07-01-2011, 00:51
I currently use the MSR Hubba 1P and find it's a great tent, but I am a rather large guy coming in at 6'4 and about 265. The Hubba can get a bit cramped inside for me. I also sleep very hot and I find that when I have the rainfly on, the Hubba gets very stuffy inside. There isn't a ton of ventilation.

I recently met a thru-hiker up at Mount Rogers that was using a Tarptent Contrail. He absolutely swore by it, but I would like to get a couple more opinions that might be floating out there before committing to the purchase.

Do any of you have experience with or are currently using any of the Tarptent models? I like the Contrail because you use your trekking poles and it appears to have decent ventilation all around the bottom. As well as being a bit roomier than the Hubba.

I'm 6'5", 275lbs, and the Contrail was a bit tight for me, and I didn't like front entry. The Moment is what I use, and I love it. It's light but gives a lot of room for us big and tall guys. The only downside is that it doesn't use trekking poles for setup, but that's a ok w/ me, considering all the benfits of the Moment.

30 Large
07-01-2011, 08:51
Thanks everyone for the stellar advice. I've taken Red Hat up on the offer so I shall see very soon personally.
If I like it as much as I hope, there may be a Hubba going on sale lol.

q-tip
07-01-2011, 15:54
I used the Contrail for 1,000 mi Aug-Nov. Excellent, no condensation, warm & dry... Best I have used for the AT.

FamilyGuy
07-01-2011, 18:09
I think you will find the Contrail a bit tight given your size. The Rainbow, on the other hand is brilliant and gives you a ton of volume. The Moment is considerably 'tighter' and more prone to condensation, at least in my experience.

g8trh8tr
07-01-2011, 19:18
I swear by Tartptent. Not only the quality of the product but also the outstanding customer support. I have the Moment and the Cloudburst 2 and both have served me very well. I am not a fan of Six Moon Design as I had a bad experience with customer service so I sold my Lunar Duo and haven't purchased from them since. But to each their own....