PDA

View Full Version : Luxury lite backpack weight limit

Inetba
06-29-2011, 17:02
From what I've read the weight limit on luxury lite bags is 30lbs. At some sections of the trail I will need to carry 7 days of food. HOWEVER, my big 3 are 10lbs and 7 days of food is 16lbs. I have never hiked like this before so I don't know how much the rest of everything in the pack will weigh. I'm worried that I will go over the 30lb limit and I'll have to buy a bigger bag.

Anyone know if the bag can actually handle more? Also first hand experience would be great.

map man
06-29-2011, 22:28
The luxurylite pack has been my only pack for the last five+ years. Once when I was doing some hiking in an arid environment with long stretches between water and resupply I hiked with 45 pounds (4 days food and 9 liters of water!) and the luxurylite pack handled it. What happens when you go past 30 pounds is more and more weight is supported by your shoulders instead of so much of it being supported at the hips through the agency of the hip belt. I wouldn't want to hike frequently carrying more than, say, 35 pounds, but the pack can handle the extra weight when necessary, in my experience.

Inetba
06-30-2011, 11:15
Thank you very much! Did you have that extra pack to carry the water in the front or was it all on your back? Mostly I won't be going more than 3-4 days without a resupply I was just worried about the couple times I'll be going more than 5 days.

I'm used to my old bag which didn't even have a hip belt so I don't think I'll be having an issue with 5-15lbs on my shoulders. Granted those were 8 mile days, not 16, so who knows!

skinewmexico
06-30-2011, 12:42
You really only have the extra weight for a day or two, so it's more of a comfort issue.

STICK
06-30-2011, 22:32
From what I've read the weight limit on luxury lite bags is 30lbs. At some sections of the trail I will need to carry 7 days of food. HOWEVER, my big 3 are 10lbs and 7 days of food is 16lbs. I have never hiked like this before so I don't know how much the rest of everything in the pack will weigh. I'm worried that I will go over the 30lb limit and I'll have to buy a bigger bag.

Anyone know if the bag can actually handle more? Also first hand experience would be great.

A scale will be your best friend... :)

Inetba
06-30-2011, 23:13
I actually came up with a REALLY stupid solution. My girlfriend is going with me and she prefers internal backpacks to external so I'm going to carry the tent, the sleeping bag, the clothes, water, etc, and she's just going to carry the food. I felt really stupid once I thought of it.

map man
06-30-2011, 23:23
Yes, I do have the front pack but I only carry one liter of water there, along with snacks, map, hat and gloves (it would also be a great place to carry a camera if I ever brought a camera).