PDA

View Full Version : BIO Fuel Filters

cameronjreed
06-29-2011, 17:08
I apologize if this is a repeat post. I searched and did not turn up anything. My question to the group is this....

Has anyone used a new 1 micron biodiesel fuel filter (for making bio fuel) as a water filter? Is 1 micron small enough to filter out giardia and cryptosporidium?

Its like a millbank bag. http://www.cfsco.net/fibagsvowvob3.html

Thanks,

rsmout
06-29-2011, 18:17
Yes, that pore diameter is less than the size of either microbe. That said, I'm always leery of using things that were designed for a purpose other than its actual use, and you can see warranty disclaimers to this effect if you've ever taken the time to read a warranty. Things that were built to filter water have to pass all kinds of health certifications and standards, such as FDA, USDA, and National Sanitation Foundation (NSF). I'm not sure what they'd say about a biodiesel filter. Water is your lifeblood; if you are going to filter it, your body will thank you to use approved equipment. Look as the

rsmout
06-29-2011, 18:19
Sorry about that. The auto-save feature in this new format is kind of flaky.

I was going to say look at the Katahdyn Base Camp or the comparable MSR product if you're going to use a hanging bag.