PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of Aqua Mira

sharky
06-29-2011, 22:02
Does anyone know if Aqua Mira has a shelf life? I have some that has been sitting in a cabinet for a year untouched and wanted to know if it was still effective.

Mongoose2
06-29-2011, 22:09
It does and should have an expiration date on it. Mine always has......yes I used an old bottle once!

Spokes
06-29-2011, 22:11
Yeah, every bottle has it printed on the side.

daddytwosticks
06-30-2011, 07:29
Ditto...printed on the side. I also store mine in the refrigerator when not hiking. I tend to use it up well before the expiration date. :)

Wuff
06-30-2011, 09:22
I was given some expired Aqua Mira that expired in 1996 and it seemed to work fine. I didn't get sick anyway. I waited to make sure the mixture still turned bright yellow - a very scientific test I know.

Pedaling Fool
06-30-2011, 09:34
Does anyone know if Aqua Mira has a shelf life? I have some that has been sitting in a cabinet for a year untouched and wanted to know if it was still effective.
Shelf life is a funny thing. Some things seem to last much longer than the posted shelf life others seem to expire on the posted date (give or take a little). Never used the stuff so I can't say...

I was given some expired Aqua Mira that expired in 1996 and it seemed to work fine. I didn't get sick anyway. I waited to make sure the mixture still turned bright yellow - a very scientific test I know.
What type of water did you use it on? I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't of gotten sick anyway. But that's some old stuff, I'd be more concerned of using a chemical sitting around that expired in 1996 (assuming you used it recently) than drinking water from a mountain spring/stream.

lush242000
06-30-2011, 19:15
All chemical have a usable life. Some are less effective over time or breakdown. On the other hand, it's a $9 purchase. If you are worried, just buy a new set of it.

Wuff
07-01-2011, 09:34
What type of water did you use it on? I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't of gotten sick anyway. But that's some old stuff, I'd be more concerned of using a chemical sitting around that expired in 1996 (assuming you used it recently) than drinking water from a mountain spring/stream.

Yeah I tried to resupply at Uncle Jonny's Hostel, but he didn't have any. So another hiker offered me the expired stuff and I figured why not? I didn't want to have to use tablets. But I agree, it was probably a stupid move and I got lucky.