PDA

View Full Version : At thru hiking..reasons and telling family

DavidNH
02-04-2005, 21:41
Hi folks,

I am in the process of considering an AT thru hike north bound from Springer starting in late March of 2006. This would be for mea fairly daring endeavor as being 42 years old I would be needing to quit my job, put possessions in storage (I have enough to fill a two bedroom apartment) disconnect (or reconnect depending on ones view) with life for 6- 7 months to thru hike the AT.

I am wondering what others in a similar situation may have told their family (or peer network) as to why they where doing this hike. There are so many uncertainties. Will I/can I finish the trip? will my re-entry into the work force and normal life be easy or very hard? Is the AT the best trail to do as a first long distance multi month hike experience?

What did you tell your Family/friends/peers about your reasons for doing this hike? Was most of your family (espcially the non hiking members) immidiately supportive or did you find resistance? IF resistance how did you get around it?

For me..the hike it self is not a major expense. The expense that worries me..is health insurance and lack of income for an undetermined period of time...possibly over a year...well..6 months for hiking..then however long to find a job again. Current job is not something I really really like but can tolerate ok but jobs don't just fall out of the sky!

I have the funds for the trip now.. no debts or significant other or kids to worry about. And my thinking right now is..if I wait to many more years..I will lose the chance to thru hike. I may not be forever as socially free and my health while now very good may not last for many years.

All feedback welcome. I can use the support.

David

oldyeller
02-04-2005, 23:42
Cheer up. You're in a great position and you should have no fears of being old too soon. Insurance? See if you qualify for COBRA to bridge to the new job. Other temporary policies are possible. Family? Tell them soon, tell them why, reassure them that you'll be OK, not alone,etc. Rent a video and show them what you'll be doing. Preparing? lots of wisdom on WhiteBlaze; start assembling your equipment, increase your physical conditioning; seek out hikers in your area....they'll share great stories and ideas.Start believing it'll happen! Go for it and congratulations. oldyeller:clap

hikerjohnd
02-05-2005, 00:15
Rent a video and show them what you'll be doing.
Not Deliverance!!!! images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I agree with discussing plans sooner rather than later. I have an Aunt who still is not 100% OK with me going, but she's had enough time to get over it. Her main objection was that it is too long to be away from my family. I gave her a project, somewhat related to hiking (the needlepoint kit for the AT) and that got her into a more positive frame of mind about me going.

I am wondering what others in a similar situation may have told their family (or peer network) as to why they where doing this hike. There are so many uncertainties.
As to why you are making the hike - it doesn't matter why anyone else did it - your reasons are your own, so be honest from the beginning. If you are not sure why you are going, is the trip right for you?

Personally, I have a number of reasons for going. I think my most important reason is that a dear friend and I dreamed of hiking it together. Life got in the way, we both got married, and then about 3 months after his daughter was born he suddenly passed away. I feel that if I do not even try to thru hike, I would be letting him down.

But enough about me... Friends will be more supportive than you might imagine - especially the ones who ask, continually, if you plan to take a gun. And why you aren't taking a gun. And how will you defend yourself without a gun. It becomes amusing after a while.

As to after the hike - only time will tell - you may have an epiphany on the trail and change your vocation. You may call your old boss back and cry like a baby for your job back. Leave some things to chance - prior planning prevents piss poor performance, but over planning often blinds you to opportunities you didn't plan on.

Good Luck!

Spirit Walker
02-05-2005, 11:36
There are a number of us who decided to hike in the middle of our working lives instead of waiting until retirement. You are right - if the timing is now, why wait? You have the health, the financial resources, the freedom and the desire right now, who knows what your life will be 25 years from now when retirement time comes along? Life is short - eat dessert first.

Telling family can get interesting. They won't really understand - for most people the idea of camping in the woods for six months is totally alien. They will probably just assume you are going through a midlife crisis. Don't worry about whether or not they understand - just let them know that this is something that is important to you and since they love you, they will probably shrug their shoulders and support you, even though they don't understand.

Since you have a year before your hike, spend as much time as possible in the woods this year. Do a lot of weekend hikes -- especially in bad weather. Go for a ten day hike for your vacation. Find out, before you disrupt your life completely, if this is really something you want to do. An amazing number of people go out on the AT and discover that either they don't enjoy hiking or they don't enjoy camping. So they go home. Save yourself that hard lesson by getting out now. The more comfortable you are in the woods, the easier those first weeks will be, and the better chance you will have of completing your thruhike.

And to answer your question - the AT is a good place to do your first long distance hike. It doesn't require the kind of long miles (20-30 per day) that the PCT requires. The community is terrific. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. The towns along the way are supportive of hikers. So - go for it.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-05-2005, 11:51
I considered doing this about 15 years ago and the costs were just far too high. The expense of gear, transportation, food, incidentals was essentially in the noise, the lost income, medical coverage for the family etc, was very substantial, the price you pay when you have a son growing up was, as they say, priceless.

Go for it

Ender
02-07-2005, 16:35
In '03 I quit my job to try the PCT. Did the whole put my stuff into storage thing. My family was very suportive, as was my significant other. She was very cool, which made the whole thing easier. But, even if they hadn't been supportive, I would have gone anyway... sometimes you just have to do what's good for you. Finding a job afterwards took much longer than I expected, and I blew through all my $$$ during the search, but I did finally find a new job, though one that pays far less than my old job. But heck, a job's a job. There are always jobs out there, so just be patient.

But, if now is when you want to go hiking, and you have the means, then now is when you should go. Your family will understand, even if they don't really understand. Take the plunge... you will NEVER regret it.

Ender

MOWGLI
02-07-2005, 16:45
AT 42 with no wife & kids, I don't know why you feel compelled to explain anything to anybody - unless you are a caretaker for another relative. Follow your dream... or don't. It's really quite simple.

Good luck whatever you decide.

gravityman
02-07-2005, 17:27
For me..the hike it self is not a major expense. The expense that worries me..is health insurance and lack of income for an undetermined period of time...possibly over a year...well..6 months for hiking..then however long to find a job again. Current job is not something I really really like but can tolerate ok but jobs don't just fall out of the sky!

David

Health insurance might not be as bad as everyone is making it out to be... We got a temp insurance with 1k deductable for 6 months at $700 for two people. We are younger (28 and 31) but you should check out Fortis and see what it will REALLY cost you. Other policies weren't that far behind in price, but the temp insurance was worth it because it doesn't have a network.

Make sure you are comfortable with how much money you will need, and go for it!

Gravity

The Solemates
02-07-2005, 18:49
Health insurance might not be as bad as everyone is making it out to be... We got a temp insurance with 1k deductable for 6 months at $700 for two people. We are younger (28 and 31) but you should check out Fortis and see what it will REALLY cost you. Other policies weren't that far behind in price, but the temp insurance was worth it because it doesn't have a network.

Make sure you are comfortable with how much money you will need, and go for it!

Gravity

We were in a different boat, just graduating from college, so we didnt have anything to start with. There was nothing to lose. We also got FORTIS health insurance, however, and it was around $1200 for 2 people and a 1K deductible. $700 sounds a bit to good to be true.