PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiker Returns to trail at Delaware Water Gap - Need shuttle from airport

zombiegrad
06-30-2011, 10:45
I got off trail in early June having started at Springer and reached Catawba, and now I'm gearing up to make my comeback! I feel the clock ticking, so I won't pick up at Catawba, VA but at Delaware Water Gap, PA where many of my hiker friends should be (then I'll flip flop from Katahdin. Feel free to share thoughts on this). I'm planning to fly out to Newark on July 17 and am looking for a way to get to the trail. I'd appreciate any ideas on shuttle services in this area!

Earth

Blissful
06-30-2011, 14:41
Flip flop plan sounds good.
Is your flight set? Because if you flew to Scranton, there are hikers that might shuttle you from there (several in that area).

If it's set, you might look into a bus line from there.

Sly
06-30-2011, 15:34
Great plan and exactly what I would do/did. Check the ATC's shuttle list or

BUS/COMMUTER BUS

Martz-Trailways (http://www.martztrailways.com/) and Greyhound (http://www.greyhound.com/) bus lines from Port Authority Terminal in New York City run to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre PA via the "Stroudsburg/DWG" terminal in the town of Delaware Water Gap PA. There are trips mid-day and on weekends and holidays. Both lines accept on-line purchase of tickets. The bus terminal is 1.5 miles from the AT southbound at Mt. Minsi trailhead and 3 miles from the AT northbound at Dunnfield trailhead (Mt. Tammany, Sunfish Pond)

Walking directions from the terminal to the Appalachian Trail (http://www.nps.gov/DEWA/planyourvisit/get-around-within-park.htm)

There is service via Greyhound from Philadelphia PA to the same bus station in Delaware Water Gap PA. Service times are less frequent.

ShortLine Bus (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/) provides service from the New York City area to Port Jervis NY and Milford PA and Matamoras PA. There is no public transportation or private excursion out of Milford PA into the park, however.

Have a great hike!

zombiegrad
07-01-2011, 10:18
Thank you both for the info! Blissful, my flight is not set, but the date is. I'd be glad to consider flying to Scranton--which hikers were you referring to?

Sly, that attachment is super handy, and thanks for explaining which bus lines go into DWG. It's good to know that if I can't get ahold of some hiker friendly shuttlers, I have the good ole public transport that will get me to walking distance from the trail.

Also, I'm relieved yall approve of my flip flopping plan. I was nervous about that, but the hike must go on!

Sly
07-01-2011, 10:29
... the hike must go on!

'zactly ...

Slo-go'en
07-01-2011, 10:48
I've taken the bus to/from the Water Gap several times. Flights to Philly are likely less expensive and more often then to Scranton. The only trick would be getting from the airport to the bus station and getting the timing right.

Toolshed
07-01-2011, 16:32
Or you can always fly into Lehigh Valley (code ABE) ariport and pick up the trail just North of the airport and be in DWG in 2 days.

Red Hat
07-01-2011, 18:21
Go Zombiegrad!

zombiegrad
07-05-2011, 15:16
Flight is booked for July 19 to Scranton, where I'll take the Martz to Delaware Water Gap. Thanks for the advice and encouragement, yall! I'm super excited and looking forward to being back on the trail :)

chiefiepoo
07-05-2011, 17:11
Flights to Philly are likely less expensive and more often then to Scranton. The only trick would be getting from the airport to the bus station and getting the timing right.

I see you made plans. Good to see it has worked out favorably. For future trips and for those wondering about airport to bus station in Philly, the airport SEPTA line rruns frequently into center city Phil and if you get off at the Market Street East station , it is a short and not too dangerous walk to the bus terminal.

unclemjm
07-06-2011, 13:45
Here's one more encouraging voice for ya. Go Rockstar, er Earth, er Zombiegrad!

sly dog
07-07-2011, 07:23
If your flight lands after 4pm in scranton I should be able to run you to DWG. I live 15min from airport and DWG is less than an hour.

zombiegrad
07-08-2011, 18:39
Love all my nicknames! Thank you for the good wishes, unclemjm. I believe I owe you a trail update.

Sly dog, that's a generous offer. My flight does land after 4...waaay after 4. I arrive in scranton at 11:33pm, so I wouldn't expect you to be available. But if you are, holler! Thankfully, rides to DWG start as early as 6am, and I'd want to be there as early as possible to hike out. I appreciate it!