PDA

View Full Version : Possible new womans unsupported record soon

Slo-go'en
06-30-2011, 11:13
A young woman going by the name of "Snorkel" has been quietly speeding up the trail and could very well set a new womans unsupported speed record in the next few days.

She left Springer on April 15th and as of June 24th, 71 days later, was just about to enter Maine. Therefore, if she can summit before July 7th, she will have set a new record. (current record is apparently 85 days). I think she'll beat it by at least a few days. Pretty amazing.

hikerboy57
06-30-2011, 11:15
wow!!! any journals, or anyway to rrack progress?whats she packing?etc.

Slo-go'en
06-30-2011, 11:43
www.trailjournals.com/snorkel

The Solemates
06-30-2011, 11:50
what is the current womens record?

The Solemates
06-30-2011, 11:52
from her journal:

At 1 am, the AMC radio went off and woke us all up. They said some thru-hikers were missing and didn't show up at the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds. One of the hikers left Pinkham at 3:30---the only hiker who could make that distance that late in the day is Odyssa. I seriously hope she's all right. She's an inspiration, a hero where they are so few women role models. I am so proud of what she is trying to do...I hope the storm didn't get in her way,

is odyssa ok?

Iceaxe
06-30-2011, 12:02
I met Odyssa in the 100 mile wilderness. I was just in the process of cussing out the slick granite slab I had slid off of when i looked up and there she was. I apologized for swearing and she said: "Well, you are gonna swear a lot more today!" The SoBo's that came after here said she had done a 56 mile day on the first day!
Anyhow Snorkel is an amazing hiker. I have had the pleasure to meet her on the PCT, CDT, and AT. When i first met Snorkel on the PCT she was carrying a Z-Packs pack the size of a "Hello-Kitty" kids lunchbox! Then last year on the CDT she was carrying her gear AND her injured partners gear!
She WILL set a record.

ChinMusic
06-30-2011, 12:17
wow!!! any journals, or anyway to rrack progress?whats she packing?etc.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=9503

Sly
06-30-2011, 12:30
www.trailjournals.com/snorkel (http://www.trailjournals.com/snorkel)

Rock climbing for years in Tuolumne and Joshua Tree did not prepare me for descending wet slab with a pack in the Whites.Bruce the Trail Angel helped me resupply in Gorham and get back on trail.

Came into Gentian in the dark, soaking wet, very cold.

Everyone has support of some kind. You're going to have to find a new term.

Slo-go'en
06-30-2011, 14:07
Everyone has support of some kind. You're going to have to find a new term.

Well yeah, but it's the degree of support which counts. You could say since they didn't make thier own gear and grow thier own food and got a ride to town instead of walking, they had support, but that is just silly.

Unsupported is generally defined as carrying your own gear, going to town to get supplies, etc, just like any other thru-hiker would. Should some random trail angel help you out getting in and out of town make it any less unsupported? I don't think so.

ChinMusic
06-30-2011, 14:52
Well yeah, but it's the degree of support which counts. You could say since they didn't make thier own gear and grow thier own food and got a ride to town instead of walking, they had support, but that is just silly.

Unsupported is generally defined as carrying your own gear, going to town to get supplies, etc, just like any other thru-hiker would. Should some random trail angel help you out getting in and out of town make it any less unsupported? I don't think so.

This.......

Sly
06-30-2011, 15:15

No, but it can certainly mean the difference in a couple days, or more over the course of the trail. Gorham is spread out, and 4 miles from the trail. If one had to walk in, and resupply, that's nearly half a day (and another couple hours back).

Just sayin'

hikerboy57
06-30-2011, 15:21
No, but it can certainly mean the difference in a couple days, or more over the course of the trail. Gorham is spread out, and 4 miles from the trail. If one had to walk in, and resupply, that's nearly half a day (and another couple hours back).

Just sayin'Just out of curiosity, what's your current record?I find it hard to understand how you cant simply respect her effort.

triggerracing
06-30-2011, 15:38
I think on the face of it this certainly would be unsupported. Trail Angels are a standard on the AT and I think the only way they could be deemed as support as far as a record is concerned is if they were contracted beforehand to specifically meet someone to facilitate a quicker turnaround than would normally be had. Now that might be the case here, I don't know. I would think support is any assistance you get that is not normally afforded to the average non record seeking hiker.

Sly
06-30-2011, 16:20
Just out of curiosity, what's your current record?I find it hard to understand how you cant simply respect her effort.

I'm the type that tries to stay out the longest.

Hey dude, nothing personal towards Snorkle, I do respect her effort. I'm just saying, strickly speaking, the "unsupported record" has some outside luck involved.

hikerboy57
06-30-2011, 18:27
I'm the type that tries to stay out the longest.

Hey dude, nothing personal towards Snorkle, I do respect her effort. I'm just saying, strickly speaking, the "unsupported record" has some outside luck involved.I like to stay out as long as I can, myself. A little luck is involved any time you're going for a record-weather, etc.

weary
06-30-2011, 18:36

Nor do I. Support is measured by more support that the ordinary hiker typically expects -- at least in my mind. Though as I've said many times, I question whether any record means much, except in the mind of the claimant.

JERMM
06-30-2011, 18:57
what is the current womens record?

i found this in Snorkels TJ

"Warren keeps track of all the records and confirmed the women's unsupported record is 87 days. Sweet! I'm really going to do this---I'm amazed!"

Sly
06-30-2011, 19:10
i found this in Snorkels TJ

"Warren keeps track of all the records and confirmed the women's unsupported record is 87 days. Sweet! I'm really going to do this---I'm amazed!"

Here's the $64,000 question. Who holds the record? I haven't a clue. I did see where Jenny Jardine "backpacked" it in 93 days, which was a record at the time. Maybe it's Odyssa, she's thru-hiked before.

Carl in FL
06-30-2011, 19:16
Supported (in my mind) means a team of one or more people
who have plans to assist you with one or more tasks.

Unplanned "help" (trail magic) is not support, it is luck of the draw,
much like a landslide is bad luck of the draw.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 21:06
Met her on McAfee Knob on May 12. She asked us to take some pics of her in the iconic spot, because she didn't have a camera (or one that was working?). Or maybe it was with her camera, but she had no one to take 'em otherwise? Nice gal. Tooth Fairy did give her a power bar, but she wouldn't take anything else. We were giving our extra food to thru-hikers. Anyway, pic below of Snorkel on McAfee.

Rain:sunMan

k2basecamp
07-03-2011, 17:21
Any updates on snorkel's progress?

ChinMusic
07-03-2011, 20:23
Any updates on snorkel's progress?

As of a couple days ago she could see Katahdin. She might be done.

edit: Just looked in my guide, she still had 200 miles to go. I didn't know you could see Big K from that far.

beaker
07-03-2011, 22:29
I saw her on the morning of June, 28 - Tuesday morning early. We were a couple of miles south of Spaulding Mtn . She said she spent the night next to a stream- probably Perham stream. A lot of people out there knew about her. She was moving along and didn't talk much.

RyanK817
07-03-2011, 23:49
We passed her just after she had taken the ferry across the Kennebec on the 30th. She was hauling but still slowed down to have a short chat. Great girl, she's gonna get it for sure.

Fog Horn
07-08-2011, 14:50
Update now that its past July 7th?

map man
07-09-2011, 10:58
Snorkel finished in about 80 days, 13 hours, 31 minutes on the fourth of July (started at 4:30 AM, April 15, ended at 6:01 PM, July 4). A very eventful final day of hiking. Here is the link to her TJ entry for July 4:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=354020

k2basecamp
07-09-2011, 11:12
Wow over 27 mpd average. - that's a marathon a day for 80 days. Congratulations on a new unsupported record! What's snorkel's real name ?

map man
07-09-2011, 11:38
Snorkel's real name is Elizabeth Thomas, according to her Harper's Ferry photo in her TJ photo gallery.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=619602

Trillium
07-09-2011, 12:02
Thanks for the link Mapman.

Congrats to Snorkel! What a final day. I admire her achievement and her good sense.

Jeff
07-09-2011, 12:05
Great accomplishment Snorkle !!!

But, if Jenn is successful with her supported attempt, then she proves that "gender" doesn't require a separate catagory for all these records.

Carl in FL
07-09-2011, 12:27
Great accomplishment Snorkle !!!

But, if Jenn is successful with her supported attempt, then she proves that "gender" doesn't require a separate catagory for all these records.

True. Neither do the Oscars but we sort of have a tradition.
I like it that way, but then that's just me.

Congratulations Snorkle!!

Sly
07-09-2011, 12:47
Snorkel finished in about 80 days, 13 hours, 31 minutes on the fourth of July (started at 4:30 AM, April 15, ended at 6:01 PM, July 4). A very eventful final day of hiking. Here is the link to her TJ entry for July 4:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=354020

OK, whose record did she beat?

Pedaling Fool
07-09-2011, 12:48
...if Jenn is successful with her supported attempt, then she proves that "gender" doesn't require a separate catagory for all these records.
That's an interesting question. I don't think it proves this is a gender-less event. You just can't ignore the fact that female runners and speed walkers can't compete with men. This sport is different in that it doesn't attract as many participants; however, I believe it's no different in separating the sexes, regardless if she gets the record.

There's a lot of professional female runners/walkers that can beat a lot of top male runners/walkers, but when you get the best-of-the-best the males win.

Elder
07-09-2011, 13:26
Congratulations Snorkel!

Smart and Safe!

Mountain Maiden
07-09-2011, 20:51
OK, whose record did she beat? LOL--well, she certainly beat my 'record!' (208 days..) CONGRATS to Snorkel! A great accomplishment, regardless of the stats.

jersey joe
07-09-2011, 22:43
Amazing hike Snorkel! 80 days is quite a feat...and this girl carries her own pack!

Furlough
07-10-2011, 13:26
OK, whose record did she beat?

Do not know. Maybe ask Warren Doyle. Either way, so what? 80 days is pretty incredible. Snorkel don't know if you read WB, but congratulations. And a good Trail Journal read as well.

Furlough

Red Hat
07-11-2011, 10:10
OK, whose record did she beat? finally heard from the record keeper, Warren says Jenny Jardine.

perrito
07-11-2011, 11:58
Is there someplace that lists the current reocrd holders for the various categories? Just curious...