PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike with dSLR

Lyle
06-30-2011, 14:03
I got home Sunday evening after completing my final section hike in the south, Erwin to Damascus. I will now be concentrating on continuing north from Palmerton, PA.

This was the first trip that I switched back to carrying a SLR camera. It worked out quite well, and I think this will be my choice for future trips as well. I just wasn't satisfied with the quality/control possible with a series of P&S cameras I had been using of late. Carrying my D40 in a LowePro triangular holster attached to my shoulder straps via carabiners proved to be very handy, keeping the camera protected and readily accessible in all but the real heavy rains when it would be packed inside. The weight was minimally noticeable. It did obstruct my view of foot placement in a few situations, but I could just push it aside when necessary for steep steps either up or down.

If anyone else is sitting on the fence in making this decision, go ahead and try it. I found it quite enjoyable to have my lightweight "real" camera with me. When I was younger I used to carry a FM2 and 35-105 lens which was much heavier. With all the weight savings in packs/stoves/tents/bags/etc. available today, we do not NEED to skimp on photo gear if we enjoy it.

Ewker
06-30-2011, 14:36
I did the opposite of you. I stopped carrying my Canon Rebel XTI and started carrying my new Canon P&S. It is so much lighter than the Rebel

ChinMusic
06-30-2011, 14:40
I'm the opposite as well. I take my Canon 5D Mark II on trips out west but now just use my cell phone on the AT.

paistes5
06-30-2011, 14:52
I took my D80 on a four day trip and won't again. Too bulky and heavy for me. My p&s takes pretty good pics so that's what I'll carry from now on.

Funkmeister
06-30-2011, 15:17
Love and carry my D40. Also a 55-200VR and a 10-24. And a few filters and batteries. I don't use a carrying case, just carry it under my arm with the strap over the other shoulder. I put it in a ziptop bag in my pack in inclement weather. Yea, I'm not an ultralighter. Different strokes for different folks. Perfect example of there's more than one way to travel. Enjoy your photos and your hikes.