PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a good section of the BMT for a winter hike?

Digger'02
06-30-2011, 16:26
Hey yall, me and my buddies have been doing a winter hike for the last 5 years and while we might scrap it for a trip on the buffaloe this year, i want to have a backup plan ready.

We are looking for about a 40 mile section outside the smokies. you know, top notch vistas a lot of ridgewalks and sub zero temps are prefered.

SGT Rock
07-01-2011, 15:26
You probably want to start at Tellico Plains Fish hatchery and walk to Tapoco. That would have you crossing Wigg Meadow, The Quarry, the Cherohalla, a good side trip to Bob Bald, Rockstack, Fodderstack, Little Fodderstack, and would include a crossing of Slickrock Creek. I did it in January and it should have what you are looking for. Total mileage on the BMT is about 32.2 miles and with the detour to Bob Bald you should hit about 40.

10-K
07-01-2011, 15:32
You probably want to start at Tellico Plains Fish hatchery and walk to Tapoco. That would have you crossing Wigg Meadow, The Quarry, the Cherohalla, a good side trip to Bob Bald, Rockstack, Fodderstack, Little Fodderstack, and would include a crossing of Slickrock Creek. I did it in January and it should have what you are looking for. Total mileage on the BMT is about 32.2 miles and with the detour to Bob Bald you should hit about 40.

Plus, he'd stand a good chance of being able to stop at Fort Tipi. :)

Tipi Walter
07-11-2011, 10:05
If I knew the dates of Digger'02's hike I could get my fort arranged properly for a suitable pass-in-review, etc. Actually, I haven't been in the Citico/Slickrock for the last several months due to pulling trips in the Cohutta/Big Frog and up into Virginia for a long Mt Rogers swaray. The only reason I gravitate to the Cit/Slic is because it is so close to home---the Mt Rogers drive is 3.5 hours---but it's worth every minute of Interstate time to get up there and see the sights.

I agree with Sgt Rock about parking at the Fish Hatchery on the Tellico River road---I left my car there for several weeks once---you could arrange a shuttle from the hatchery to Hiway 129 at the Slickrock trailhead. I would take Rock's route up Sycamore Creek to the Whigg (and check out the pond for camping if the weather turns nasty on the high meadow)---then get to Beech Gap and go to a fine campsite slightly south of Cherry Log Gap. Here I would detour off the BMT and go up to Bob's Bald on a 1.5 mile "blue" blaze and continue on the ridge all the way to Naked Ground and past to Hangover Mountain and a campsite there (for outstanding views on the high rocks overlooking everything).

Then you can either backtrack to the BMT at Cherry Log or go down Hangover Lead South to Big Fat Gap or:
** Take Windy Gap trail to Nichols Cove trail to Yellowhammer/Ike Branch(BMT)and go out to the Lake and the trailhead at hiway 129.
** Leave the Hangover and get to Big Fat Gap and go down on a 1.5 mile trail to Slickrock Creek and follow it downstream for 10 crossings to merge back in with the BMT and stay on it to 129.
** Or go down Big Fat Gap trail and cross the Slickrock twice and camp at Wildcat Falls and then backtrack up a crossing and hump up the two mile Big Stack Gap trail to Fodderstack Ridge and rejoin the BMT at Crowder Camp and then head north on the ridge all the way to Farr Gap and down the Stiffknee to the Slickrock and out.

All these are great options. The main point is to see the two main highlights of the area: Hangover Mt and Slickrock Creek.

SGT Rock
07-12-2011, 14:59
Sounds like a great trip Walter. Have you been getting into the Smokies lately? I heard you might do some hiking up there.

Tipi Walter
07-12-2011, 16:51
Sounds like a great trip Walter. Have you been getting into the Smokies lately? I heard you might do some hiking up there.

Funny you should ask as I am considering going in at Beech Gap on my next trip and following the BMT all the way to the lake and then getting into the Park at Twentymile station for a week or ten days of Smokies humpage before returning the way I came. I could even try to hitch the 3-4 mile roadwalk as I wouldn't do the BMT to Deals Gap and instead just road-hoof it from 129 bridge/hiway 28 to the ranger station. I've got a couple weeks to think about it.

10-K
07-12-2011, 18:32
I could even try to hitch the 3-4 mile roadwalk as I wouldn't do the BMT to Deals Gap and instead just road-hoof it from 129 bridge/hiway 28 to the ranger station. I've got a couple weeks to think about it.

Boy I can't blame you there... I can't see myself ever doing that section again either.

SGT Rock
07-13-2011, 06:59
The BMTA recommends getting a ride if you can.

10-K
07-13-2011, 07:32
The BMTA recommends getting a ride if you can.

I think I misunderstood. I was talking about the section between Cheoah Dam and Deal's Gap... I wouldn't hike that again.

Between Deal's Gap and the ranger station I walked before daylight and only saw 2 cars.

SGT Rock
07-13-2011, 14:15
OH that part. Maybe that is what he meant. The BMTA doesn't care about purism - you can skip it. I didn't find it that objectionable, but it was in ankle deep snow that day so I had fun playing in the snow.