PDA

View Full Version : Do I NEED a sleeping bag???

rowdyredMTSU
06-30-2011, 23:19
hey everyone...

Im doing a 8 day section hike form springer to standing indian campground. I will begin in the last week of August so I expect it to be hot. I am form west TN and not sure what to expect from the higher altitude. Will it get that much colder at night in the mountains? I am asking because other than a sleeping bag my gear list is nearly complete. As far as sleeping comfort I have recently acquired a mountain hardwear lightpath 2 with footprint, and a thermarest z-lite. Like a nerd, I have slept out in the yard the last two weekends to familiarize myself with the tent. I have only been using my z-lite, a pillow, and a light fleece blanket. The light blanket has been more than sufficient and at times I have even needed to take it off. So my question is this. Would a solid quilt, which I already have, be a solid choice for coverage? I plan on throwing my spare clothes in a small sack for a pillow. I just don't see the point of spending the money for a quality bag on this trip. Especially when the quilt will be so much lighter. As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Rowdy

30 Large
06-30-2011, 23:24
Usually during the summer months in the Smokies I just use my liner. Then again, I am a very hot natured guy so it works out well for me.

ChinMusic
06-30-2011, 23:41
Mountain Shuttler should be able to give you an accurate forecast, but be prepared to tip.............

ChinMusic
06-30-2011, 23:45
Seriously. 8 days is a bit out of my comfort zone for weather forecasts. I would bring a very light bag. You prob could get by without but why take the chance.

HiKen2011
06-30-2011, 23:57
Mountain Shuttler should be able to give you an accurate forecast, but be prepared to tip.............

That's the most accurate statement I think I've ever read on here!

Rocket Jones
07-01-2011, 06:22
I recently hit a sale at JoAnn's Fabrics on fleece. Bought 2.5 yards of the lightest they had and trimmed it into the same mummy-ish shape as my quilt. Quick stitched a footbox and voila! - summer weight blanket and a fair bit of weight savings. Total cost was around $12.00.

daddytwosticks
07-01-2011, 07:24
Do you sleep warm or cold? I would bring something to cover myself while I sleep but I tend to sleep cold. :)

vamelungeon
07-01-2011, 08:19
You never know in the mountains when you'll wake up in the night a little chilled. Better bring something. Sometimes I carry a small light fleece blanket instead of a bag.

Smooth & Wasabi
07-01-2011, 08:54
You said you had a quilt you would take. I don't know what you meant by solid. Is it a backpacking oriented insulated quilt? Or a quilt from home. I know I would be fine with a light quilt especially if you have some insulating clothing. Just don't bring a cotton quilt. My buddy picked up a really cheap option a down Lafuma bag. He got it for like 45$ It is really light but not as warm as I would want for NE mountains as he froze on a late august night up high in Maine. Would be perfect down south IMO.

Beachcomber
07-01-2011, 09:51
Much of the time you'll be fine, but if you encounter any extended periods of rain (as I did last week in the Smokies) you may find yourself uncomfortably cold at higher altitudes. A big, long-lasting summer storm can easily drop temps by 20 degrees or more from "normal" seasonal levels. FWIW, I used an old down quilt in lieu of a bag, and was cozy enough on the coolest nights, but not too hot when it was warmer.

Trailbender
07-01-2011, 11:02
Always carry a bag on any overnight.

WILLIAM HAYES
07-01-2011, 19:58
I would carry the bag just in case

kolokolo
07-01-2011, 20:18
I would take a bag. I tried just using a liner one night last summer in the Smokies, and I was cold. Maybe your fleece is warmer than a linier, and in Georgia the elevation is generally 1000 feet or more below the Smokies, and so generally warmer, but I'd take a sleeping bag just to be safe.

vamelungeon
07-01-2011, 21:02
Always carry a bag on any overnight.
Always ignore any advice that begins with "always." LOL
There are times when it isn't necessary.

Papa D
07-02-2011, 23:04
Yes - you need a sleeping bag - a light synthetic one - you also need non-cotton clothes and a fleece or wool sweater, a rain jacket, and a stocking cap. I'm sure I sound like an old man but I've been at this for a long time and I've seen people literally hypothermic in the NC mountains in mid-July - a rainstorm hits in the evening and lingers into the night - you were sweating, got wet, then clammy - now your freezing - trust me, carry a bag or a backpacker quilt - you may just end up using it like a blanket, buy you would be very sorry if you needed it and didn't have one. HYOH

singing wind
07-02-2011, 23:51
+1 to Papa D. Keeping safe in the woods is 1st priority and in a situation with rain + wind + ?...how would you be able to look after yourself then? Good luck with your walk.

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 00:27
Im doing a 8 day section hike form springer to standing indian campground. I will begin in the last week of August ... So my question is this. Would a solid quilt, which I already have, be a solid choice for coverage?

My experience is that it can be very cold at altitude in those mountains. Especially when the clouds are low (you are in them) and the wind blows. I spent my coldest night on the AT, out of many now, on Standing Indian Mountain in the summer in a fleece zip-up blanket. Also, I was very cold from Springer to Neels Gap over a July 31 to August 3rd one year with a 45 degree down bag. Again, I found myself in the clouds/fog/rain with a breeze blowing at night. Brrrrrrr.

As far as a quilt or sleeping bag, I don't think it matters if they are both rated to the same temps and you're on a pad on the ground.

So, my answer is that, yes, you do need a sleeping bag or comparable quilt.

Rain:sunMan

rowdyredMTSU
07-04-2011, 21:59
thanks a lot everybody. I am now in the market for a lightweight 20 degree bag. the search begins
:o

ChinMusic
07-05-2011, 12:29
thanks a lot everybody. I am now in the market for a lightweight 20 degree bag. the search begins
:o

You went from asking about "no bag" and now decided to get a 20?

I guess you don't HAVE a bag, so yeah, a 20 is a good general bag that will serve you well in lots of conditions. Lone Wolf loves him Campmor 20. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065