PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos backpack

tomman
07-01-2011, 00:40
Has anyone out there used the Osprey Atmos 65 backpack? I now have the aether 70 but feel it is a bit heavy for a long distant hike on the AT. I have read some reviews about the back. There were some good and some bad, but none about the AT.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Tomman
trail name: Cherokee Tom
[email protected]

Walkintom
07-04-2011, 10:12
I have an Atmos 65 and I like it. Our thruhike is planned for net year but I have several hundred miles on my pack by now and have no issues with it.

Joker4ink
07-04-2011, 12:01
I bought an Atmos 65...then returned it for the Exos 58 and absolutely love it! It's over a pound lighter and still very durable. When comparing the Atmos & the Exos, I liked how the Atmos had more padding in the hips and shoulders, and the webbing is thicker. I was a little concerned that the Exos wouldn't be as comfortable. I was wrong. The Exos breaths well (same as the Atmos), has excellent padding, is durable, lighter and cheaper. If you get a second, try on an Exos and see what you think.

4shot
07-04-2011, 17:51
can't tell you anything about the atmos but I have the aether 70 and took it on my hike last year. IMO, that's alot of money to spend just to drop a little bit of weight (1 lb.? 2 lbs.? - don't know the weight difference between the two). You have to remember that your food bag alone is going to vary 5 -10 pounds or so depending on how much you eat and how long you go between resupply. I'm sure you'll like the new pack if you choose to get one as they were quite common on the trail but I'm about saving the $$$.

mikec
07-04-2011, 19:23
I've had an Atmos 65 about 3.5 years now. It's a good weekend pack and I've used it on section hikes in the summer when I have a light sleeping bag and no cold weather clothes. I still use my old 5600 cubic inch Camp Trails Wilderness for long distance hikes whee I have to carry a winter sleeping bag and clothes. I'll be replacing the Camp Trails one of these days.

Jersey Tim
07-04-2011, 20:54
I've seen them out on the trail, and it seems to be a somewhat popular choice; though not too light, it will certainly get the job done. Trying one on and walking around (with weight inside) is the best measure of whether or not it is the pack for you. REI nearly always has a bunch of them in stock, and the Dallas location isn't far from you at all.

Sue_Bird
07-04-2011, 21:42
I hike with the Atmos 65. Switched out from the aura 65 after the frame literally bent in half (manuf. defect: pins were the wrong size, according to the guys at the outfitter at HF.) I love the atmos 65. It is more comfortable than the aura was, carries weight more evenly/closer to the body, great pack all around. took me from DWG to katahdin. I'm sure you could go lighter, but i love the support this pack gives.

TIDE-HSV
07-04-2011, 22:33
My wife and I both have the Atmos and we both really like them...

kotaro24
07-07-2011, 16:07
I've been using the Atmos 65 for 3 years section hiking. I like the low weight and the air pocket that keeps my back cool. Thru-hikers tell me my pack looks like it's going to explode though (it's packed very tight). I think if I was planning a thru-hike, I'd buy a bigger pack (it's a pain to have to pull out everything in the pack to get to that one item in the middle (also, all my small gear is space-bagged by usage, so it comes out in 4 parts -- food, camp, clothing, and trash)).

JesterFSU
07-08-2011, 11:22
You should definately try one on before even thinking about it. I am gearing up for my first section hike and went to a local REI to get a pack. I was immediately attracted to the atmos. It looks damn fine, it is very stylish. And appears innovative to with the trampoline back allowing for ventilation. It was going to be mine. Again, I am new to backpacking, so the REI sales guy MADE me try on atleast two packs before he would sell me one. The other one I picked was the REI crestrail 70. Both were about the same weight, both were properly fitted to me, and both were loaded with the same weight. Even having little experience with packs it was easy to tell the atmos put most of the weight on my shoulders, were as the crestrail transferred the majority of it to my hips. I am told that is a good thing. Other major thing I noticed... the frame of the atmos makes the pack seem VERY small in comparison to the crestrail. The weighted pillows that fit easily in the crestrail with room to spare, had to be stuffed and arranged into the atmos to not pack above the frame. I honestly would not be surprised if the exos 58 that the earlier poster mentioned proved to be more functionally spacious. I ultimately left that day without a pack, I did not want the ugly crestrail. Fit eventually won over fashion, and I now own a crestrail. Picked it up for 160$ during July 4th sale.

JesterFSU
07-08-2011, 11:28
Also read reviews of each before going back. And in one review on REI an owner talks about the internal frame stressing the fabric at the bottom of the pack where it naturally makes contact with the ground when you set it down. I looked at the when I returned to get a pack, and it was obvious and somewhat worrisome. I believe that you could take care of it and not have any problems for a long time, but its easy to see that when the pack does fail, that will likely be the culprit. Just FYI the second sales guy was very high on the aether. I almost considered it, but was pretty much going in to get the crestrail on sale, despite its bland unnattractive appearance :P