PDA

View Full Version : Expected mileage and water situation? Thornton Gap to Harper's Ferry, early Sept.

wvcurf
07-01-2011, 10:32
I'm planning a section hike with two other gentlemen, starting Labor Day weekend. We're going to drop a car in Harper's Ferry and get ride south into SNF, most likely to Thornton Gap or Elkwallow, and then hike north.

What's the typical mileage that a small group in average shape (not experienced hikers, but physically active people nonetheless) should expect on a daily basis? I've heard ranges anywhere from 8 or 9 miles up to 15 - 17 miles a day. Would we have to push hard to do 12 miles per day through this section?

Also, what will the water supply be like in that area in early September? Do the shelters have continuous water supplies, or will we be relying on creeks and streams?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. This site is a great resource.

wvcurf

Cookerhiker
07-01-2011, 11:11
Since you're all physically active, I don't think you'd have any problem with 10-12 miles per day; you can probably do 12. This is especially true if you're starting from Elk Wallow because you don't begin with an initial ascent to ridgeline.

wvcurf
07-04-2011, 18:20
Thanks for the feedback Cooker.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the topic of distance through this section?

And how about water? Will we need to carry much water, or is it pretty easily accessible along the route?

Thanks.

wvcurf

Doc Mike
07-04-2011, 18:31
wvcurf I'm planning about the same hike starting thursday before labor day until monday. I expect to do 50-60 miles during the 5 days. If your hiking the same time maybe we can use one car as the shuttle. Let me know if you have any interest.

Doc Mike

wvcurf
07-05-2011, 17:33
Doc Mike - Thanks for the offer, but we're most likely leaving the Sunday before Labor Day and hiking the better part of the week.

johnnybgood
07-05-2011, 18:42
From Elkwallow northbound there is a moderate ascent toward Mathews Arm Campground covering 2 miles , but nothing that relatively in shape hikers can't handle.
The water sources tend to dry up by late summer so carry enough to make that first day.

Check back closer to Labor Day Weekend for a recent water report.

msujay
07-05-2011, 21:25
Mileage will depend somewhat upon what you and your hiker group prefer to do more...hike or camp. I would assume a 2 mile per hour rate, so a 12 mile day is only 6 hours of hiking. For me, that is too much time spent in camp, but I prefer to hike over camp. 12-15 miles per day for that section will be pretty easy for those in good shape, unless your nickname is "sherpa".

wvcurf
07-06-2011, 08:49
Thanks for the feedback on mileage and the water situation. I will check back closer to our trip to see if there's an update on water.

We'll most likely be shooting for 12 - 13 miles per day, and enjoying some time hanging out enjoying nicer views as we come to them.

sly dog
07-06-2011, 09:50
Soak up the views in snp, once you head north out of front royal I only recall one view of anything other than trees. It's a nice woody section but no mountain top views. Make sure to hit bears den!

wvcurf
07-06-2011, 10:28
Soak up the views in snp, once you head north out of front royal I only recall one view of anything other than trees. It's a nice woody section but no mountain top views. Make sure to hit bears den!

Thanks. We're planning on mailing ahead some food that we'll pick up at Bear's Den. Do they sell much / anything in the way of food?

OldFeet
07-06-2011, 14:32
I did this hike two years ago at age 57 and am in only average shape. With this terrain it was no trouble at all for me to do 12-13 miles per day. The Bear's Den didn't have much in the way of resupply, mostly snacks, but the hiker special does include a pizza, soda and ice cream. There are shelters every five miles or so once you leave Shenandoah so this gives you some flexibility in picking a stopping point each day.

dcmidnight
07-12-2011, 13:01
I did Thornton Gap to the 4H Center last summer and it was a good two day hike. The Gravel Springs -> 4H Center piece was mostly downhill and there's a pretty good rocky section there thats (IIRC) as you leave the park boundry. Great 2 day hike though.

wvcurf
07-13-2011, 09:02
I did Thornton Gap to the 4H Center last summer and it was a good two day hike. The Gravel Springs -> 4H Center piece was mostly downhill and there's a pretty good rocky section there thats (IIRC) as you leave the park boundry. Great 2 day hike though.

dcmidnight - I'm not familiar with the 4H Center that you referred to. How far is that from Thornton Gap?

Thanks for the feedback.

restless
07-13-2011, 16:16
wvcurf-The 4H center is at the north end of SNP near Front Royal, although it is not open to the public. Also, Bears Den primarily sells snacks and such; not much in the way of long term supply. Definitely resupply in Front Royal. So far as water goes, it has been somewhat hot and dry around here, but we did have a good pm t'storm today. Not sure if springs are dry yet or not.