PDA

View Full Version : help choosing hammock

bearboy
02-05-2005, 05:06
as stated i need help choosing a hammock. For Starters i am 5'9" and weigh around 210-230, depending on the time of year. what id like is a decent hammock at an affordable price. i dont camp too much in the winter but if possible id like something that might fit into that category. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
~bearboy

MedicineMan
02-05-2005, 05:36
search under hammock camping and find all sorts of opinion review.
many experts here that will love to advise you...such as HammockHanger,
Sgt Rock, Irisk, and many more.
Most important thing is to GET IN one, all are good especially a homemade one if you bend that way.
Hammocking is liberating to say the least, you will not regret the purchase only the time you didnt hang, and when they say 'hows it hanging' you'll know what they're really talking about!

SGT Rock
02-05-2005, 08:44
Check out my site and some others that have general tips about hammock camping to see the different designs. Are you in Franklin, NC? If so, you could go to the Trail Fest in Hot Springs and see a bunch of them. I hear Ed Speer is going to have a big hammock hang out.

neo
02-05-2005, 09:56
you can buy a hennesey hammock for their website for 79.99 it wieghs 2 lbs and 8 oz great hammock at a great price.its rated at 250 lbs:sun neo

oruoja
02-05-2005, 12:20
Am curious how many out there have put a Hennessey to extended use, like 100 or 150+ nights in the field, and how the hammock held up in terms of wear and durability. I know the warranty is good, but would like to know what issues, if any, have come up with them.

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 13:03
have you tried Risk's 9$ test hammock?
http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

it will help you see if you like the whole concept of hammocking (it will help you get into some good hammock habits like sleeping diagonaly) and if you like the top entering style.

The biggest tip is to go out and try and see if there are some examples you can lie in.

Personally, I would suggest making your own, it's cheaper, and you can cater it to your needs.

Hang your own Hammock

titanium_hiker

bearbag hanger
02-05-2005, 23:01
Am curious how many out there have put a Hennessey to extended use, like 100 or 150+ nights in the field, and how the hammock held up in terms of wear and durability. I know the warranty is good, but would like to know what issues, if any, have come up with them.
I used the HH Ultra-light Backpacker model on my 2004 thru hike. Started Feb 28th and summitted on Sept 11. Used it 74 nights, the rest of the time I was in town or 30 days in shelters. The hammock is still in good shape and I expect it to last quite a while longer.

The Hammocker
02-06-2005, 02:54
I say make your own. It's more fun and you don't pay a lot. I made my first from a bedsheet its on hiking HQ.

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 12:35
I lived in mine for 6 months give or take a day or two here and there. My son is still using that hammock. It does have a stiched up hole in the skeeter net on the left side where I put my arm through it one night during an attack :D