PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for August thru

Tyler
07-02-2011, 11:36
Now that my start date is less then a month away I've been getting all my gear finalized.
I've been making my own gear for a while now and a good majority of what I'm going to be using is homemade.
I'm starting July 31 heading Westbound. I'd love to get some feedback - I'm feeling pretty confident in my choices, but it's always good to hear what other experienced hikers think.

Pack weight w/out food is hovering just under 15#.

I'm planning mail drops in Breckenridge, Buena Vista (via Rt. 365) and Creede.

Homemade G4 Pack – 13.5
Pack Cover – 2.0
8 x 10 tarp w/ 8 stakes– 22.0
Bug bivy/ground sheet - 6.0
Campmor 20 Down bag - 42.0
Big Agnes AirCore pad – 27.0

Alky Stove w/ windscreen - 1.5
Fuel 15oz (I like food/cooking) – 14
Terra Solo cookpot – 5.8
GSI FBC Spoon - .25
Lighter - .7
Gatorade Bottles x 2 – 3.5
Platypus 32oz – 2.0
Aquamira – 3.0

Thermal Poly top – 6.0
Thermal Poly bottom – 6.0
Midweight Fleece Ό zip – 8.9
Marmot Precip Jacket – 12.2
Marmot Precip Pants – 9.0
Running shorts 3.5
Smartwool hiker socks – 3.0
Generic lightweight synthetic socks (2 pair) 3.0
Lightweight Fleece gloves – 2.0
Bandana x 2 – 1.0
Mosquito head net - .5

CT Databook – 2.0
Garmin ETrex GPS w/ Lithium Batteries – 4.6
Compass - 1.0
Cellphone w/ charger – 5.0
Journal and pen – 4.0
Disposable 35mm camera – 4.5
Headlamp - 2.5
Small Knife – 2.0
Sunscreen – 2.5
DEET – 1.0
Small first aid kit – 2.0
Identity (ID, Cash, Credit cards) - .7
Ultralight rope 40ish ft. – 3.0
Gear repair kit – 1.5

TP Ό roll – 1.5
Hand Sanitizer 1.5
Toothbrush w/ toothpaste – 2.0
Dr. Bonners Peppermint – 2.0

(Worn or Carried)
Lightweight Long sleeve – 5.5
Running shorts – 3.5
Generic synthetic socks – 1.5
Cap - 2.5
Leki Trail – 18.0
Montrail AT Plus - 30

Hole-In-The-Hat
07-03-2011, 00:19
Your list looks pretty complete!

I would recommend taking a fleece hat -- insulation on the head can make a huge difference for little weight. Also, I assume you’re taking maps? – I didn’t see them on your list.

You probably won't need the mosquito head net, but at 0.5 oz it isn't a big penalty.

Have fun!

Papa D
07-03-2011, 09:14
He's got a hat - see his list' "cap-2.5" - this list looks great - I'm hoping to do the CT over the next couple of years - I've done some sections. Not sure you need a GPS and a compass - I think I'd just take the map and compass - make sure you can pre-set the magnetic declination so you can read straight from the needle - the GPS weighs 1/4 pound.

Tyler
07-03-2011, 09:32
Thanks for the comments guys!

I've been going back and forth with the maps vs. gps. I don't like relying on an electronic device, but the unit durable and only plan on unpacking it if I find myself off course. I've got the Bear Creek Survey waypoints entered in the GPS so I feel confident that these will keep me on track. I may pick up a few of the Trails Illustrated maps - If time allows I want to do the Hope Pass alt. route, and am definitely planning on summiting at least one 14er...maps would certainly help out with this. From what I've gathered during my research the trail seems fairly well marked.

Depending on how the bugs are the Bivy may be sent home in Breckenridge...I'd rather have it and not use it vs. not have it and want it. I'll axe the headnet - I still had to make that and I'm about sick of sewing!

I wish I could afford a lighter mattress or suck it up and be able to sleep on a z-rest. That's the only item I REALLY wish I could drop.

Storm
07-03-2011, 10:18
I don't know how much experiance you have with the Campmor 20 degree bag. There are many threads on here praising it. Because of this I purchased one. This spring I used it in temps just below 30 degrees and was cold all night. I slept with my long johns on, wool socks, wool cap, gloves and down jacket just to make it though the night. I never considered myself a cold sleeper. I will be upgrading my sleeping bag before another cool weather trip. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you haven't used the bag in cooler weather.

Papa D
07-03-2011, 11:22
how tall are you? I'm 5'8 and I sleep on a ladies therm-a-rest - it's between 22 and 23 oz. You also might consider not taking the thermal poly top since you already have a fleece sweater - that's kind of like having 2 sweaters, or you could consider a long-sleeve silky polyester running shirt if you wanted to cover your arms - you might shave a couple of ounces there too.

300winmag
07-06-2011, 00:40
"1/4 roll TP" Hmmmmm... not nearly enough. Remember to take hand sanitizer. One of the most common causes of illness in backpacking is hand-to-mouth coliform transmission.

Tyler
07-07-2011, 15:43
Thanks for the tips.

I've noticed that the 20 degree bag is going to be a little chilly in some overnighters I took in early spring - that was one of the reasons that I was taking that thermal top. I like sleeping cooler, so I figured with thermal tops and bottoms, as well as the fleece I should stay pretty toasty.

I've got 1/4 roll of tp in all 3 of my mail drops. I don't need much:) Hand sanitizer is always a must for me.

Can't wait to get on the trail!

toothpick09
07-13-2011, 11:20
Hey I'm leaving from Oregon on the 24th, should be in C.O the 26th, and starting a couple of days after. Hope to See you out there
-Toothpick-